Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MancWanderer said:

Loads of them last year. Craft stalls, flower stalls, the lot. It was a bit tat tbh. Can’t recall seeing a single food stall on Newport Street 

Don't mind if stalls are connected with cooking- pans etc but candles and crafts are bollocks. No doubt always been some, and I've ignored them, but if they're becoming too numerous then it defeats the object.

Went to the Clitheroe Food Festival last Saturday. Good but not a patch on Bolton’s. Ours is 4 days over the Bank Holiday weekend. It’s the time of year that the town comes alive. Looking forward to it. We get things right occasionally, albeit once a year. Enjoy.

10 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Went to the Clitheroe Food Festival last Saturday. Good but not a patch on Bolton’s. Ours is 4 days over the Bank Holiday weekend. It’s the time of year that the town comes alive. Looking forward to it. We get things right occasionally, albeit once a year. Enjoy.

If I lived in Bolton I’d definitely be there  of an evening or two. From what I’ve heard it’s very good at night. Sadly I’m just a day tripper these days. Two years ago it was ace. Last year was disappointing. Hope it’s changed for the better again

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

If def maybe are on, im in

If not, i will do NM

On 19/08/2023 at 20:46, BobyBrno said:

Good to see the Town Centre busy this morning. Got there about 10.30 and there were plenty of folk milling around the festival. Did my usual and bought a ton of cheese and about a dozen different pies. Anyone who likes decent coffee I would highly recommend the stall that sells loads of different coffee beans. I bought three bags of whole beans but you can also buy them ready ground. Their signature bean ‘Morning Glory’ is particularly nice

PS there was a lot less ‘tat’ this year

Edited by MancWanderer

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

Good to see the Town Centre busy this morning. Got there about 10.30 and there were plenty of folk milling around the festival. Did my usual and bought a ton of cheese and about a dozen different pies. Anyone who likes decent coffee I would highly recommend the stall that sells loads of different coffee beans. I bought three bags of whole beans but you can also buy them ready ground. Their signature bean ‘Morning Glory’ is particularly nice

PS there was a lot less ‘tat’ this year

I was there (again) today. As you say, great to see the town busy. Highlight seeing the Corliss engine moving again. That’s a personal thing. 
Met so many people I know and that’s the thing about town centres, it’s not just about shopping, it’s the social aspect. I remember meeting my Uncle in town many years ago and as we walked around, I was amazed how many people he knew. It’s like that for me now. Two more days of it and I’ll be there again for both.

As for the Food Festival, something for everyone. I had a black pudding scotch egg for lunch and bought a steak and Stilton pastie for tea (don’t judge me) will try the coffee stall and your recommendation tomorrow. 👍

edit. Just to add, the Amy Winehouse tribute was brilliant. Don’t know if she’ll be on again.

Edited by BobyBrno

8 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

As for the Food Festival, something for everyone. I had a black pudding scotch egg for lunch and bought a steak and Stilton pastie for tea (don’t judge me) will try the coffee stall and your recommendation tomorrow. 👍

Jerk chicken pie for lunch from one stall and I also bought a black pudding scotch egg for tomorrow from another so no judging here :D

Edited by MancWanderer

3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Jerk chicken pie for lunch from one stall and I also bought a black pudding scotch egg for tomorrow from another so no judging here :D

👍 

Are you the guy who does the photography on instagram with the same name?

If you wander around and take your eyes above street level, like I said last year, the architecture is stunning. So many buildings spoiled by cheap shitty shopfronts. Some amazing buildings around the Mealhouse Lane area. Had a quick gander on Bradshawgate at a building that I’d seen on a Bolton Facebook group. The old Prince Bill. No idea what’s going on but the owner appears to be restoring the frontage. Would love to see more of that happening to what are such nice buildings 

Photo courtesy of Facebook rather than me todayIMG_0323.thumb.jpeg.5d3e9d3b16423104c547d2f3ee59687b.jpeg

12 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

If you wander around and take your eyes above street level, like I said last year, the architecture is stunning. So many buildings spoiled by cheap shitty shopfronts. Some amazing buildings around the Mealhouse Lane area. Had a quick gander on Bradshawgate at a building that I’d seen on a Bolton Facebook group. The old Prince Bill. No idea what’s going on but the owner appears to be restoring the frontage. Would love to see more of that happening to what are such nice buildings 

Photo courtesy of Facebook rather than me todayIMG_0323.thumb.jpeg.5d3e9d3b16423104c547d2f3ee59687b.jpeg

Went past yesterday. Good news.

Another good day at the food extravaganza today. Will miss it for another 12 months but shows what we can do in this town. Talking to an American guy selling sauces and he thought it was the best food festival he’s ever done. Well done all concerned.👍

3 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Another good day at the food extravaganza today. Will miss it for another 12 months but shows what we can do in this town. Talking to an American guy selling sauces and he thought it was the best food festival he’s ever done. Well done all concerned.👍

Great to hear that. I go every year. Must make an effort to stay over and sample the evening entertainment next year