Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next England Manager?

Hiddink is a good shout for a foreign coach.  Makes no odds to me if the manager is English or not.  

I think fat Sam would do a very good job.  Never get chosen as long as there's a hole in my arse though.

Howe also a good shout if a tad inexperienced.

FA will no doubt pick Southgate.  Yes man but does have under 21 experience and has done a good job there.  Continuity and all that, I suppose.

Iceland's manager is a part time dentist.

I'm pretty sure it's the assistant whose the dentist, Lagerback is a respected international manager that England have struggled against a few times. Actually, he might not be a bad shout.

Allardyce must be considered by the FA though. Southgate strikes me as the Jeremy Corbyn of football management, clearly knows his stuff, but not a leader.

Edited by Adlington Trotter

No idea who it'll be but when the supposedly best player and captain keeps punting the ball into the stands Alex Fergusson, Brian Clough and Alf Ramsey combined couldn't get England to be any cop.

True, but I think that a lack of a clear strategy and planned adaptations to potential situations also played their part in last night's debacle.  

You can't really excuse Premier League winners passing it repeatedly behind players for 90 mins, or hitting every cross, shot etc straight out of play or into a defender - that's their lack of character (and possibly symptoms of their egos and pampered lifestyles?) coming through.

That said, with a better game plan we perhaps don't get into the position that caused the meltdown.  Bit of both I suppose.  Would Fergy or Clough have tolerated even 5 minutes of that?  I just don't see any of Fergie's players ever performing like that for him (not for long anyway).  Look at how the Italian manager went ape shit and booted that ball when one mon mis-controlled it . . . 

• Site Supporter

Greg Dyke didn't help matters with his comments mid tournament and Woy's retort of being happy to do the job but not needing to suggests all was not well in the camp. Given his pre- written resignation and decision not to face the press today suggests he was a bit pissed off. Seemingly he doesn't want to burn his bridges, but maybe its time for some honesty from all concerned.

Greg Dyke didn't help matters with his comments mid tournament and Woy's retort of being happy to do the job but not needing to suggests all was not well in the camp. Given his pre- written resignation and decision not to face the press today suggests he was a bit pissed off. Seemingly he doesn't want to burn his bridges, but maybe its time for some honesty from all concerned.

Agreed, very odd from Greg that - did no help whatsoever and put him under more pressure and got the press on his back.  Don't get our mentality or approach to things at times.  Very strange.

Typical of the man he is, a complete and utter bottle job

Megson with Freedman as his assistant

If you'd offered this up between the russia game and the next game, i'dve been all in. [well, really i said Allardyce] . but you could just tell the iceland defeat were coming.

Allardyce probably doesn't look good sat at a desk for england so they'll probably get sven back.

very office manager.

Edited by e2e4

I'll say this for Hodgson, he at least tried to implement a new 'style' and looked to blood youth.  Minimum requirements I know but others haven't done this in the past.

It just seemed like he wanted to go a certain way but then didn't seem to factor in what the opposition would do and then didn't have a plan B . . . sound familiar?!

Football seems to go through cycles i.e. Spain/Barca have success with tika taka so everyone tries to play tiki taka style football or play in a way that counters this.  Most top teams at this tournament seem to play counter attacking, a la Germany, so we see lots of teams parking the bus to counter this  The successful teams/managers seem to work out how to beat this or develop a style to suit their players and stifle the oppositions threats e.g. the Icelandic wall . . .'Hoooooo'!

Roy, bless him, seems to have not even factored this into his plans and preparation.

I don't buy this. 

Who the hell wouldnt of picked the likes of Kane, Alli, Dier etc

Not meaning just in the tournament.  I agree though, there weren't many alternatives really, but over his tenure he has certainly given more youth a chance than previous managers, imo.

Problem is he didn't seem to know how to get the best out of them and for me it's a balance between youth and experience that usually wins the day.  And when it could have mattered he bottled throwing Rashford on.  Perhaps to protect him?  I don't know, I really don't know! :) 

Fuckin ell

He rightly questions what has Southgate done as a manager and why he should get it against a proven manager

Then he goes and suggests Tim sherwood

Yeah that wasn't one of the good points I was referring to . . . honest!!!

More the pro Big Sam and Southgate points. (not Steve 'Sloth' face Bruce either) 

The media would have a field day with allardyce

Has he sued panorama yet?

They would but I think he's the sort of brass necked fecker who just ignore it.

In Sam's world he is the dog's bollocks.

Maybe England might need a bit of that.