Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Self Driving Cars

Alf Hartigan

• Site Supporter

Whether coming out of shadows or any other reason, surely the driverless vehicle uses infra-red technology to seek changes in the heat signature between a person and its surroundings. The ability to see into the shadows in a conventional way is irrelevant.

It had a safety driver in it as well

Points towards human error on the part of the poor lady who was killed

To which there is only one conclusion

The first passenger rail journey had a fatality when someone walked in front of the train.

Not quite that simple, was a bit of a bit of bad luck, bit of clumsiness and a bit of ill health.

Call me a sad sack but got this book a couple of xmas’ ago - https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/The_Railways.html?id=U36lBwAAQBAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

Pretty sure I heard that some folk we scared shirtless of trains as they thought people wouldn't be able to breathe at speeds of 30mph+ and would Kark it.

I think folk born in 1800 who lived to 75 would have seen this country change more than any one else in history.

• Moderators

I think folk born in 1960s have seen the biggest amount of change.

it'll be an ongoing thing

the 40s will have seen more than the 50s, seen more than the 60s etc

tvs for example, and a world war

the rate things are going now, it'll be them born in the 00s before long

She stepped out in front of the car, not in a cross walk, that is her fault over here, if had not been a self drive car it would have been just another death by stupidity

This is the second time I've mentioned algorithms on WW today.

Ultimately in writing the software for the car - someone has to decide if in the event that someone steps in front of the car and a crash will result in either the driver or pedestrian losing their life - should the car brake?

Kent the car could have braked, we don't know that yet, also stepping out in front of a car say 20 feet away the car can brake (just as human driver would) and stop before hitting said idiot, now if the same idiot does it within a foot of the car you cant write algorithm's until hell freezes over the result will be the same, one dead or serious injured idiot ( you would get the same result if the car had a human driver)

My point is - do we write the software to brake and possibly kill the passenger as well as probably kill the pedestrian. Or programme the car not to slow down and definitely kill the pedestrian but probably save the passenger?

It's about ethics in AI.