Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Self Driving Cars

Alf Hartigan

• Site Supporter

Who'd have one? 

Personally can't imagine ever wanting one, but maybe if I'm still here in my 80s, could see the attraction then.

I can't see em catching on, but then again I said that about t'internet.

Actually, more I think about it, maybe they will, no more driving lessons/tests/licenses, can even see the day when it's illegal to drive.

• Site Supporter

Obviously we're decades away from having your car pick you up from the pub, but the sooner they get the ball rolling the better.

I don't think we are though, but that's a good point, could kill the taxi trade.

Or am I just being silly?

It needs killing.

Thieving c*nt from Metro held onto my nephew's iphone he dropped t'other week, track my iphone gave the address/vicinity the following day, same taxi outside, knocked on door, same driver answered "I haven't got it mate" door shuts, two seconds later trackmyiphone reports it disappears/is switched off.

Seems they've added theiving to their raison d'etre.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Only a matter of time this, I can't wait!

due to work commitments it pans out at roughly 5 working weeks a year sat behind the wheel doing nothing productive. I'd rather be sat in the back with the car driving itself

On the whole I think accidents and traffic jams would be massively reduced with the element of human error being taken off the road

Only a matter of time this, I can't wait!

due to work commitments it pans out at roughly 5 working weeks a year sat behind the wheel doing nothing productive. I'd rather be sat in the back with the car driving itself

On the whole I think accidents and traffic jams would be massively reduced with the element of human error being taken off the road

Better not let Samsung programme the cars there'd be carnage.

I can see it being allowed for motorway travel (probably a separate lane of the motorway) - in and around towns and villages there would be too many variables I would have thought.

It'll be great when it does get here, but I reckon we're a good period of time away from it yet, as you couldn't have "self driven" and "people driven" cars working together surely

I can see it being allowed for motorway travel (probably a separate lane of the motorway) - in and around towns and villages there would be too many variables I would have thought.

It'll be great when it does get here, but I reckon we're a good period of time away from it yet, as you couldn't have "self driven" and "people driven" cars working together surely

A self driven car would need to be able to react to anything in reality

It could be someone running into the road, an animal,a tree falling etc

They won't be allowed onto the road unless they can react to absolutely all movement within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle

With that in mind I believe they could be on the road with standard cars

My wife's nan had her licence taken off her last year as she pressed the accelerator instead of the break and went into a wall at a T junction doing 30 mph. Third similar incident in 5 years

Far too many drivers shouldn't be on the road as it is, when the technology arrives to remove the human error the roads will be much safer

I know of a similar story, nay 2, both with Metro, never ever use em.

Anyway, the more I think about these self driving cars, they could be a fucking disaster for the economy.

Self driving lorries?

Already happening I suspect

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35737104

We've been keeping an eye on driverless cars for a couple of years (we're a software company). At the speed that technology is moving, they are gonna happen sooner rather than later.