Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Coyle

maje

Owen Coyle is anything but a cunt. There's fair criticism to make but he was a great player for us and he's a nice bloke. 

I think he was unlucky that we got relegated from the Prem. In 2010/11 we had Muamba and Holden in midfield and it was working a treat. Holden's injury and Muamba's issue was very poor fortune. Wheater getting injured against WBA - hardly Coyle's fault. We'd have seen that game through as a win in my opinion with the young Wheater at CB.

Having said that I agree that his signings and actions post relegation were very poor. Matt Mills, Keith Andrews etc.

Of any ex manager I despise him ten times more than any of the others.

He single handedly set about ruining this club.

And it’s only because I’d nonsense like this that he was allowed to do it. He should have been hounded out well before Christmas when it was apparent we’d made a horrid, horrid mistake appointing him.

If only we’d appointed a Parky type by Christmas we’d have more than likely stayed up comfortably.

• Moderators

Owen Coyle is anything but a cunt. There's fair criticism to make but he was a great player for us and he's a nice bloke.

He wasn't a great player for us. He wasn't even a good player for us. He was bang average.

I think he was unlucky that we got relegated from the Prem. In 2010/11 we had Muamba and Holden in midfield and it was working a treat. Holden's injury and Muamba's issue was very poor fortune. Wheater getting injured against WBA - hardly Coyle's fault. We'd have seen that game through as a win in my opinion with the young Wheater at CB.

Having said that I agree that his signings and actions post relegation were very poor. Matt Mills, Keith Andrews etc. 

Unlucky to relegate us ???????????

Just look at that shower of shite he signed while we were an established premier league club with millions to spend.

Look at his idiotic treatment of Muamba

.His repeated tactical incompetence - hard to pick one example, but picking a weak as piss side against Stoke at Wembley stood out - & that he never understood we were fighting relegation but continued to try & play ineffective, tippytappy "attacking" football when we should have been fighting

His failure to prepare the team for matches, either tactically or in keeping fitness levels up, preferring to be "one of the lads " to doing the hard work in training.

Nothing unlucky about it, he's a grade A, incompetent cunt who threw away years of building & brought the club to its knees.  The cunt.

I always hold a soft spot for Coyle as a player because his goal v arsenal in the cup got me properly into football in the first place.

I thought we were onto a winner when he came in as manager, a real coup, an opinion based on in hindsight not very much.

"That month" was brilliant, some of the best feelings for me in and out of the ground in any of our time in the Premier League.

To go from there to how I feel about him now takes some doing. A fucking shyster and no mistake.

I think you're all missing the point. Just because he turned out to be a shit football manager doesn't make him a cunt. There was an awful lot of bad luck involved in him getting us relegated as well as bad judgement. After we got relegated it was purely bad judgement and, yes, there'd been some really shit signings.

Mike Riley, Barry Knight, Sasa Curcic, Jonny Evans, John Aldridge, Chris Malkin,  - they're examples of cunts.

Coyle had Bolton in his heart, he no doubt still does. I can't purely judge the man on his managerial reign. He played for us with distinction at a great time in the club's history.

In the end, as a manager, he got found out. 

If we're looking in to history for a manager to describe as a cunt I'd be going back to Sammy Lee. What he did in that one single summer of 2007 really was the height of cluelessness.

I think you're all missing the point. Just because he turned out to be a shit football manager doesn't make him a cunt. There was an awful lot of bad luck involved in him getting us relegated as well as bad judgement. After we got relegated it was purely bad judgement and, yes, there'd been some really shit signings.

Mike Riley, Barry Knight, Sasa Curcic, Jonny Evans, John Aldridge, Chris Malkin, - they're examples of cunts.

Coyle had Bolton in his heart, he no doubt still does. I can't purely judge the man on his managerial reign. He played for us with distinction at a great time in the club's history.

If we're looking in to history for a manager to describe as a cunt I'd be going back to Sammy Lee. What he did in that one single summer of 2007 really was the height of cluelessness.

Coyle was told. And he ignored the advice he was given. He refused to change his ways. Absolute cunt.

• Site Supporter

I tend towards agree Paul. He might have proved a terrible manager, but for don't for one second think it was in some way deliberate.

Chuck all sorts of criticism at him, but not a cunt for me.

Semantics it may be, but that cunt who crashed his car on Westminster bridge the other day is a cunt!

I tend towards agree Paul. He might have proved a terrible manager, but for don't for one second think it was in some way deliberate.

Semantics it may be, but that cunt who crashed his car on Westminster bridge the other day is a cunt!

Nat Lofthouse is the greatest player the club has ever had and is rightly revered. 

He took the club backwards as a manager. He's not a cunt either - and anybody who ever described him as such in the presence of any self respecting Bolton fan would probably very quickly find themselves in A&E.

There's a world of difference between Nat and Owen Coyle - but Coyle is not a cunt. It's just a complete exaggeration.

If we put put the cunt question to one side for a moment it is agreed all round that Coyle is a useless manager but I would dispute the nice guy reputation. He was a little brusque with Little Henri when meeting him at a do and did a "caps on the table" put down I remember on Radio 5 once (which backfired and made him look stupid, no surprise there).

• Site Supporter

i was told coyle was giving directions in the passenger seat

Was he unlucky at another half dozen or so clubs?

It’s ironic that the appointment was walmly received by the fans.

Plenty of Wanderersways, plenty, plenty (you know who you are) sang his name at burnley away. We went 1-0

Up away. Yet many sang his name whilst megson got abuse.

They equalised and coyle got a hero’s walk off.

Our chairman and owner did what anyone would do.

Fans fault? Maybe?

It’s ironic that the appointment was walmly received by the fans.

Plenty of Wanderersways, plenty, plenty (you know who you are) sang his name at burnley away. We went 1-0

Up away. Yet many sang his name whilst megson got abuse.

They equalised and coyle got a hero’s walk off.

Our chairman and owner did what anyone would do.

Fans fault? Maybe?

I think it’s plainly obvious that you never should listen to fans. Gartside lost the plot trying to please the masses instead of making his own decisions. Not saying he was always right either but he lost it after that appointment.

I’d say he was gambling to try and recoup some of his pals money that he’d pissed away on astronomical agent fees and ridiculous wages rather than appease the fans.

He knew he’d fucked it and carried on digging the hole.

As for coyles appointment, it was the right fit at the time. I never heard a soul say it wasn’t at the time. If I remember rightly on here, there was only Mounts that showed any kind of caution.

At the time it was the right decision. Not getting rid after Wigan at home was the wrong one. Gartside knew after that game the game was up and bottled it.

Edited by gonzo

Coyle was a successful appointment. For 18 months. Should’ve been potted in October after our shambles at Swansea. His treatment of Muamba, after such a good season alongside Holden was baffling.

And we certainly weren’t unlucky the season we went down. We were awful that season, bar a brief month in winter.

Yep. That's it for me. He rode the tide when the real cunt (Megson) left and he brought the feel good factor back to the club

He was massively unlucky with Holden and Muamba but was completely incapable of responding. He's shown time and again since that he has one plan and that's it

Cunt? No. Fucking useless? Yes

Coyle was taking Burnley down till we took him on

They got sussed out and he had no plan b

Just like we eventually got sussed out and he had no plan b

The idea he had cult status amongst fans from his playing days is bollocks

I didn't want him to get the job and I was at Burnley away on boxing day when it all turned nasty on Megson

Yep. That's it for me. He rode the tide when the real cunt (Megson) left and he brought the feel good factor back to the club

He was massively unlucky with Holden and Muamba but was completely incapable of responding. He's shown time and again since that he has one plan and that's it

Cunt? No. Fucking useless? Yes

Why was he unlucky with Muamba ?

He had stopped playing him. We had our best midfield two for years and he changed it round.

Not a cunt for me but a terrible manager.