Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Owners

TrickyTrotter

Don’t really have a problem with this .Its all about judgment calls on players being released from ‘bigger’ clubs .PNE have been pretty shrewd in this area as have Brentford .

We nurtured Luca  Connel through our system & ended with £300k ? Ok we sold Clough & Holding for relatively large amounts but they have been the exceptions rarther than the rule over the last twenty years of the academy.

In an ideal world the academy model is fantastic but it’s not an ideal world as we know

• Moderators

The academy have lost money - FACT

The owners of the club are trying to stop it losing money, so they have announced this.

I don’t see a problem with this. 

How did Jimmy phillips lad end up at Liverpool who he was earning big money being in charge or our academy?

How did we release a £10m player for nothing?

I’d suggest the people who are making these decision are not very good at their job 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Members
1 minute ago, Horwich said:

The owners of the club are trying to stop it losing money, so they have announced this.

So why not just announce it for what it is a cost cutting exercise rather than the exciting transformation they are painting it as. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Horwich said:

How did Jimmy phillips lad end up at Liverpool who he was earning big money being in charge or our academy?

I’d suggest the people who are making these decision are not very good at their job 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't disagree but did the buck stop with Jimmy Phillips or was there someone higher up the foodchain that JP was answerable to?

Regarding his lad, I guess that's down to the level he was playing at and also the need not to inflict accusations of nepotism on Phillips Jnr.

33 minutes ago, burnden said:

So why not just announce it for what it is a cost cutting exercise rather than the exciting transformation they are painting it as. 

I suspect there is more to come.

for example it’s well known that the Bolton area could/should be supplying more talent than it does at the moment, so they’re probably going to “improve community links” by setting us “reserve” or “shadow” squads for all ages in the academy ( playing in bbdfl or jpl ?) that would act as a stepping stone for lads to play before/after full academy football, thus widening the net and ensuring continuous supply of talent.

Edited by Ruba Mustafa

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, MickyD said:

I don't disagree but did the buck stop with Jimmy Phillips or was there someone higher up the foodchain that JP was answerable to?

Regarding his lad, I guess that's down to the level he was playing at and also the need not to inflict accusations of nepotism on Phillips Jnr.

I’d say the buck stops with J Phillips, as it was his role at the club.

JP track record does not fill me with confidence.

8 minutes ago, burnden said:

I just wish FV would do an interview spelling out what the actual plan is for the club over the next few yrs , give something for us fans to buy into or not.

Right, but what would that benefit them? 

Fans would find something about it that they didn't like.

They're better off keeping quiet and getting on with things.

59 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Phillips lefts us just after Eddie Davies turned off the tap. Players weren't being paid and he'd yet to feature in a first-team squad. I can undeestand why he might've felt his future lay elsewhere.

If the second player you're referring to is Mooy, he wasn't released. We offered him a contract and he turned it down in favour of finding first-team football elsewhere.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Phillips lefts us just after Eddie Davies turned off the tap. Players weren't being paid and he'd yet to feature in a first-team squad. I can undeestand why he might've felt his future lay elsewhere.

If the second player you're referring to is Mooy, he wasn't released. We offered him a contract and he turned it down in favour of finding first-team football elsewhere.

Was Mooy a 3rd year pro contract?

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, Kane57 said:

Right, but what would that benefit them? 

Fans would find something about it that they didn't like.

They're better off keeping quiet and getting on with things.

Some merit in that, however, this seems to be a cost cutting exercise (perfectly valid) so why dress it up a bit and make a bit of a fanfare, when fans can see it for what it is.

It may well be beneficial in the long run, so just be open about the need to manage finances and how this will allow that whilst still producing talent.

No issues with fv doing what is necessary to make us sustainable at all- a refreshing change to be honest.

This decision is the best thing to happen to the club in a very long. 

The academy has been a complete waste of money for decades. Produced absolutely fuck all compared to what’s been put in.

time to try a different approach. 

Gets rid of the jobs for the boys bollocks as well. 

Great stuff from FV   

6 minutes ago, Horwich said:

Apart from offer him a proper pro contract, not a 3rd year “scholarship pro” (Or whatever they were doing at the time)

Maybe, but those decisions are rarely made by the Academy Director alone, and Megson (reportedly) wasn't a big fan. He didn't think he'd get an opportunity at first-team level and decided to leave. There's not a lot the Academy staff can be blamed for there.

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, gonzo said:

This decision is the best thing to happen to the club in a very long. 

The academy has been a complete waste of money for decades. Produced absolutely fuck all compared to what’s been put in.

time to try a different approach. 

Gets rid of the jobs for the boys bollocks as well. 

Great stuff from FV   

Correct Gonz. The academy hasn't been paying for itself for years. Nothing coming out of it to get in a decent Wanderers team let alone bringing anybody else to sell on, even for our customary 4M