Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Premier League Players - give up salaries?

Smiley

5 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Well that’s bollocks. 
All clubs get paid a set amount from every tv network they have ties with. Then 3 months in another payment and so on. Then the further they progress in every competition they get more money. Especially if you’re in the Champions League.  Burnley won’t run out of money if the season didn’t start for two seasons. 
Not sure why the football clubs and Players are being picked out of this unless they’re furloughing staff which they shouldn’t be doing when 100’s of millions are going through their books and small companies are dying because of this.

That’s bollocks

They won’t have 100’s of millions going through the books if they aren’t playing football 

The TV money will be drying up soon enough 

Sports TV subscriptions and Advertising revenue from showing the matches has all but stopped and this will feed through to the Leagues & Clubs soon enough 

No justification for paying a few hundred lads Billions of its not coming in. Clubs will be terrified of losing stars for free if they don’t honour the contract though. Needs UEFA or even FIFA to step in and sort it out really so players can’t use pay cuts / deferrals as a way out of a contract to get a free transfer into other clubs when footy re starts 

Wayne Rooney with a piece in the Times today, to be fair he’s saying he would take a cut but points out that some of the young lads are only on £2k a week, asking what should they do 😂

Errrrr, take the bloody £2,500 furlough a month like the rest of the country you dick head 

If these players aren’t careful, public opinion will round on them soon enough 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Members
1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

That’s bollocks

They won’t have 100’s of millions going through the books if they aren’t playing football 

The TV money will be drying up soon enough 

Sports TV subscriptions and Advertising revenue from showing the matches has all but stopped and this will feed through to the Leagues & Clubs soon enough 

No justification for paying a few hundred lads Billions of its not coming in. Clubs will be terrified of losing stars for free if they don’t honour the contract though. Needs UEFA or even FIFA to step in and sort it out really so players can’t use pay cuts / deferrals as a way out of a contract to get a free transfer into other clubs when footy re starts 

No it’s not bollocks at all.

The money is spread out over the season rather than a lump sum at the beginning like it used to be.

Fifa or UEFA can’t just step in and make changes at the drop of a hat it takes months to make the smallest legal change.

Wayne Rooney with a piece in the Times today, to be fair he’s saying he would take a cut but points out that some of the young lads are only on £2k a week, asking what should they do 😂

Errrrr, take the bloody £2,500 furlough a month like the rest of the country you dick head 

If these players aren’t careful, public opinion will round on them soon enough 

Although that only works if the club tops up their salary.

“The rest of the country” that you refer to (for the main part) aren’t on £100k a year. I imagine most people who lose 70% of their wage overnight would struggle pretty quickly (if the club didn’t top up the wage).

15 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Although that only works if the club tops up their salary.

“The rest of the country” that you refer to (for the main part) aren’t on £100k a year. I imagine most people who lose 70% of their wage overnight would struggle pretty quickly (if the club didn’t top up the wage).

Of course they would 

I imagine pilots that have been grounded are in the same boat 

Shoupd the airlines go into debt to keep the pilots going on full money? They will go bust if they do that for too long, as will many football clubs 

If your a pilot who is doing no work then £2,500 a month is a lot better than nothing. Same for footballers who aren’t generating any revenue 

Lets face it, it’s a financial hit but only for a matter of months, they can go back to earning their usual wage when it’s over 

Edited by birch-chorley

6 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Of course they would 

I imagine pilots that have been grounded are in the same boat 

Shoupd the airlines go into debt to keep the pilots going? They will go bust if they do that for too long, as will many football clubs 

If your a pilot who is doing no work then £2,500 a month is a lot better than nothing. Same for footballers who aren’t generating any revenue 

Lets face it, it’s a financial hit but only for a matter of months, they can go back to earning as normal wages when it’s over 

Don’t get me wrong, in the style of Donald Trump, the government has introduced financial support the likes of which this country has never seen. However, furloughing (without a top up) protects the lower earners more than the higher earners. In general terms, anyone on PAYE earning less than c£37k a year would take a hit of only 20%. Someone on £2k a week takes a c70% pay cut. If you’re a senior pilot / footballer on £4k a week it’s an 85% pay cut? (maths not my strong point).

As for returning to work straight away - perhaps in some sectors. But what if the players are out of contract in the summer? Are they guaranteed to walk into another club? Will air travel instantly return to normal flight schedules in July? I doubt it. In other professions, I expect that a deep recession will lead to plenty of redundancies soon after government help ends.

The average wage in the Prem is what, 35/45k a week?

As a player said in the link someone posted last night, it's not possible to spend that much money every month.  Its different for those further down the food chain for sure but theres no reason established pros at that level cant manage without pay for the next 3 months.

1 hour ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Don’t get me wrong, in the style of Donald Trump, the government has introduced financial support the likes of which this country has never seen. However, furloughing (without a top up) protects the lower earners more than the higher earners. In general terms, anyone on PAYE earning less than c£37k a year would take a hit of only 20%. Someone on £2k a week takes a c70% pay cut. If you’re a senior pilot / footballer on £4k a week it’s an 85% pay cut? (maths not my strong point).

As for returning to work straight away - perhaps in some sectors. But what if the players are out of contract in the summer? Are they guaranteed to walk into another club? Will air travel instantly return to normal flight schedules in July? I doubt it. In other professions, I expect that a deep recession will lead to plenty of redundancies soon after government help ends.

I think that contracts need freezing, so if it’s due to expire in 3 months then it still has 3 to go when football starts, if you had 15 months to go then you still do etc

this would work well with finishing the season. 

In the meantime you just can’t justify paying footballers silly money when it’s not coming in 

Edited by birch-chorley

13 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

The average wage in the Prem is what, 35/45k a week?

As a player said in the link someone posted last night, it's not possible to spend that much money every month.  Its different for those further down the food chain for sure but theres no reason established pros at that level cant manage without pay for the next 3 months.

Agreed. I think Rooney was making that point - he can afford to take the pay cut but players on the fringes of the Derby squad might struggle.

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

They aren’t alone are they 

they are not but the  guys on £8k a month are going to feel it more than folk on say £3k. people spend what they earn. a guy losing £500 month is likely to suffer less than someone losing £5.5k. so rooney does have a point with that 

10 minutes ago, Big E said:

they are not but the  guys on £8k a month are going to feel it more than folk on say £3k. people spend what they earn. a guy losing £500 month is likely to suffer less than someone losing £5.5k. so rooney does have a point with that 

Of course they will feel it 

But I just don’t see how you can justify giving them anywhere near £8k a month when they aren’t doing anything and no money is coming in 

Of course they will feel it 

But I just don’t see how you can justify giving them anywhere near £8k a month when they aren’t doing anything and no money is coming in 

A business cannot sustain that agreed. However it also cannot lose assets worth Millions for nothing 

3 minutes ago, Big E said:

A business cannot sustain that agreed. However it also cannot lose assets worth Millions for nothing 

Of course not, that’s why if this goes on for a sustained period then UEFA or even FIFA will have to step in with some sort of global agreement 

You’d have to stop players being able to move on for free just to get big signing on fees at the other side 

The 30% reduction that’s just been agreed must be based on the belief that they will be back in action sooner rather than later, it doesn’t look like a longer term solution if this rumbles on into Autumn / Winter 

6 hours ago, Big E said:

A fool and their money are soon parted...