Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The new Nürburgring - Rishton Lane

Youri McAnespie

Just now, Morizio said:

Speed limiters already exist. 

Rather than dismiss, challenge your mechanically minded self to create a workable solution🙂

I see speed limiters consistently. But they exist as a max speed. So let’s us a Scottish water van as a live example. Limited to 55mph. That van can drive in any location at upto 55mph. It hits someone it kills them. It doesn’t solve the problem. 

my own car reads the speed signs and knows the roads I am driving. You could build in tech to limit it to those limits I’m guessing. But it doesn’t always get it right. Roadworks on a motorway a prime example.

it will eventually be a tech solution but it’s a long way off. And even then you need to phase every old vehicle off the road which will be , imo, unachievable for a very long time due to cost issues 

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I see speed limiters consistently. But they exist as a max speed. So let’s us a Scottish water van as a live example. Limited to 55mph. That van can drive in any location at upto 55mph. It hits someone it kills them. It doesn’t solve the problem. 

my own car reads the speed signs and knows the roads I am driving. You could build in tech to limit it to those limits I’m guessing. But it doesn’t always get it right. Roadworks on a motorway a prime example.

it will eventually be a tech solution but it’s a long way off. And even then you need to phase every old vehicle off the road which will be , imo, unachievable for a very long time due to cost issues 

Well done, so you are considering a workable solution. 

Modern vehicles have the tech to be limited to the specific speed restriction, older vehicles are limited to the minimum speed limit. 

Car salesman for some reason think this is a great idea as do mechanics😁

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Probably just the old bill amongst us to any great level in all likelihood and I know for a fact not all of them will put there hands up 😉

I realised a few years ago that I would never have a top model super car so decided to enjoy driving by learning to get the best out of what I could afford.

It has been great journey, DSA, RoSPA etc. and has helped me understand about why people do what they do and protecting me from their actions.

However that does not save the poor hapless pedestrian, so sad

1 minute ago, Morizio said:

Well done, so you are considering a workable solution. 

Modern vehicles have the tech to be limited to the specific speed restriction, older vehicles are limited to the minimum speed limit. 

Car salesman for some reason think this is a great idea as do mechanics😁

Please don’t patronize mate it’s an unbecoming trait and you’re better than that. 

My missus has a modern 18 plate vehicle on the drive. That has absolutely no capability to know what the speed limit is in an given road setting. I could list you hundreds of vehicles that will also fit this issue. 

whiever is telling you it’s that easy is , imo, very misguided. But I don’t profess to be an expert by any means 

Ive driven recently the most tech advanced hgv on the market, and it reads road signs and brakes and adjusts speed etc up and down. Conditions, road layout and traffic all considered. One press of a pedal and it’s over ridden. 

12 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Please don’t patronize mate it’s an unbecoming trait and you’re better than that. 

My missus has a modern 18 plate vehicle on the drive. That has absolutely no capability to know what the speed limit is in an given road setting. I could list you hundreds of vehicles that will also fit this issue. 

whiever is telling you it’s that easy is , imo, very misguided. But I don’t profess to be an expert by any means 

Ive driven recently the most tech advanced hgv on the market, and it reads road signs and brakes and adjusts speed etc up and down. Conditions, road layout and traffic all considered. One press of a pedal and it’s over ridden. 

Thank you for the reply.

Limiting the speed is achievable, it’s not new technology.

So, is what I offered achievable? Those in the trade I’ve encountered believe it to be so☺️

Thank you for the reply.

Limiting the speed is achievable, it’s not new technology.

So, is what I offered achievable? Those in the trade I’ve encountered believe it to be so☺️

Currently no imo. But I’m no expert. But using my example of the most technologically advanced hgv and its failings to achieve what you suggest I will base my opinions on that. More so given autonomous trucks/buses will be first thing we have from a self drive perspective. 

5 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Currently no imo. But I’m no expert. But using my example of the most technologically advanced hgv and its failings to achieve what you suggest I will base my opinions on that. More so given autonomous trucks/buses will be first thing we have from a self drive perspective. 

HGV’s have been subjected to speed limiters since the 90’s. 

I think you are looking at an adaptive technology, am I right?

HGV’s have been subjected to speed limiters since the 90’s. 

I think you are looking at an adaptive technology, am I right?

Correct. Hgv’s are limited to a max speed. An hgv at max speed in a 20/30 zone helps nobody. Hence my point.  Speed limiters aren’t the solution as the tech in most vehicles can’t read the road. 

another example. M6 two weeks ago. I was in my car driving at 30mph due to weather conditions.  That was the safe speed in my opinion as I could barely see. Limiting the vehicle to 70mph has absolutely no effect in that scenario. 

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Correct. Hgv’s are limited to a max speed. An hgv at max speed in a 20/30 zone helps nobody. Hence my point.  Speed limiters aren’t the solution as the tech in most vehicles can’t read the road. 

another example. M6 two weeks ago. I was in my car driving at 30mph due to weather conditions.  That was the safe speed in my opinion as I could barely see. Limiting the vehicle to 70mph has absolutely no effect in that scenario. 

I don’t think you’ve read what I’ve put.

You do agree speed limiters agree?

6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Well don’t then.or so but read it and accept that someone might just possibly be closer to this sort of stuff than you are. It is possible you know. 

I’ve simply offered a point, I’ve asked you if you if it’s achievable. Others suggest it is. What’s the with the contestation? 

Seems an easy to agree on discussion to me🤷‍♂️

Oh and just maybe, if you are perceiving someone is condescending, then maybe refrain yourself.

3 minutes ago, Morizio said:

I’ve simply offered a point, I’ve asked you if you if it’s achievable. Others suggest it is. What’s the with the contestation? 

Seems an easy to agree on discussion to me🤷‍♂️

Oh and just maybe, if you are perceiving someone is condescending, then maybe refrain yourself.

It’s why I was doing it. It was a direct response to my perception.

ive said I don’t agree that the tech is there. You choose to contest that. So we won’t agree. That’s life. I hope we get a solution. Anything that saves lives is a massive step forward 

Just now, Escobarp said:

It’s why I was doing it. It was a direct response to my perception.

ive said I don’t agree that the tech is there. You choose to contest that. So we won’t agree. That’s life. I hope we get a solution. Anything that saves lives is a massive step forward 

See common ground 😀

I knew you could do it😉

Back in my day you passed your test and you either got yourself on the insurance of your mum’s Chrysler Avenger or you bought a knackered old 850cc Mini

These days these fucking cheap leases allow young dickheads to step into something way beyond their driving abilities. No ownership, no responsibility to a parent’s car, they don’t give a shit. It’s the “fuck society and I don’t answer to anyone” generation. 

9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I don’t think anyone on here wouldn’t go for something that saved lives. Even a heartless thick old racist like myself. 

I don’t think you would, as I think there’s a lot of good in you, which maybe you sometimes suppress🤷‍♂️

Others on here, hmm. Not sure I agree😕

3 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Back in my day you passed your test and you either got yourself on the insurance of your mum’s Chrysler Avenger or you bought a knackered old 850cc Mini

These days these fucking cheap leases allow young dickheads to step into something way beyond their driving abilities. No ownership, no responsibility to a parent’s car, they don’t give a shit. It’s the “fuck society and I don’t answer to anyone” generation. 

A marvellous generalisation of younger folk😲

Where is the solution, regulate those selling to the dickheads or restrict what the dickheads can buy? Or something else?

10 minutes ago, Morizio said:

regulate those selling to the dickheads or restrict what the dickheads can buy? Or something else?

A bit of both I would say, once it gets over a certain BHP then they cant have until they done another diving course. But you can really only do that with new cars, what about 2nd hand.

And you can't really restrict with mechanical means they just take them off, you really can't do it with the onboard computers because someone will just re-write it

And anyway you can't have too much horse power 🙂 , it's when you use it is really what matters

Edited by tyldesley_white