Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Carlisle (A)

Eddie

Carlisle are the masters of bad timing, their only season in the top flight being the only season in post war football the country's most popular club were in the 2nd tier.They got a big derby v Newcastle in the top flight but would have had a big derby v Sunderland and the big one v Man Utd if they had stayed in the second tier.

Having to play Bolton the week after a pathetic home loss v Tranmere is also bad timing, Bolton sure to be up for it.Carlisle 1 Bolton 2

• Site Supporter
58 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Once went to a night match there near Easter time, we lost 5-0.

Seem to remember you stood on old railway sleepers with cinders in-between.

Pop Robson did the damage if I recall. I was only a nipper, on our way up to Aviemore, had an overnighter in Carlisle to take in this game.

Id say about 1982 time

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

I went to that one in Max's van.  

Looked it up &.....it was April 83, same season we beat them twice at home, but we were relegated. My memory of the game (possibly unfair ) was that Neil Berry was especially hopeless.

6 hours ago, bolton va va said:

I went to that one in Max's van.  

Looked it up &.....it was April 83, same season we beat them twice at home, but we were relegated. My memory of the game (possibly unfair ) was that Neil Berry was especially hopeless.

I went to that on official coach, one of my 1st aways that wasn't local.  I remember us singing John McGovern's Super White Army for about 20 minutes non stop, the thrashing on the pitch seemed secondary.  If it was now the players and manager would be getting dog's abuse.

Our 3-0 home win at Christmas included the Jim McDonagh goal.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I went to that on official coach, one of my 1st aways that wasn't local.  I remember us singing John McGovern's Super White Army for about 20 minutes non stop, the thrashing on the pitch seemed secondary.  If it was now the players and manager would be getting dog's abuse.

Our 3-0 home win at Christmas included the Jim McDonagh goal.

I thought that was against blackpool

9 hours ago, Whitestar said:

I went Carlisle after a stop over in B/Pool for the Easter Holidays after the home defeat with Leeds. We played like a bag of shite that night, nearly crashed my van entering the M 6 on the way home.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Underpants said:

When McDonagh scored I don't think he went particularly mad with his celebration. Keepers union maybe. Tim Howard didn't even celebrate when he put one past Bogdan at Goodison.

I can still see the backline turning in unison and heading for him to celebrate. 

1 hour ago, Underpants said:

When McDonagh scored I don't think he went particularly mad with his celebration. Keepers union maybe. Tim Howard didn't even celebrate when he put one past Bogdan at Goodison.

I had a different recollection.  I'm sure I remember him running to the jubilant Manny Road really lapping it up.