Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In America

Zico

1 hour ago, wanderer1984 said:

So what about voters that backed Biden and are now turning to Trump because the lack of continued work on the border.

It'll make a huge difference in the swing of votes, especially with the black folk.

They'll be swallowing his words too?

I think you're conflating 'things which swing votes' with 'things that work'. 

Jay Jay very astutely called this the USA's Rwanda policy a few posts back. Presumably he meant that it's designed to win votes - not designed to achieve the outcome desired. Or has little chance of achieving the outcome desired. Jay Jay - sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth there but that's what I interpreted it as. 

Anyway - as you say, we will just have to see. Personally I think it's a batshit plan, and it's unlikely to ever get built and you clearly think it is going to get built and it is going to work. One of us is going to look stupid at any rate.

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

I think you're conflating 'things which swing votes' with 'things that work'. 

Jay Jay very astutely called this the USA's Rwanda policy a few posts back. Presumably he meant that it's designed to win votes - not designed to achieve the outcome desired. Or has little chance of achieving the outcome desired. Jay Jay - sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth there but that's what I interpreted it as. 

Anyway - as you say, we will just have to see. Personally I think it's a batshit plan, and it's unlikely to ever get built and you clearly think it is going to get built and it is going to work. One of us is going to look stupid at any rate.

Doesn't bother me being wrong. Just don't get how you don't think a 30ft wall across a border isn't a deterrent.

If it were to be completed, sure illegals will find another way in. But it won't be as easy and the US authorities will then try to shut down those other entry points once established.

12 minutes ago, kent_white said:

think you're conflating 'things which swing votes' with 'things that work'. 

You don't know it wouldn't work though. Of course it may swing a vote.

Problem is for Biden ... this particular issue isn't swinging in his favour.

8 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

You don't know it wouldn't work though. Of course it may swing a vote.

Problem is for Biden ... this particular issue isn't swinging in his favour.

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're right, I don't KNOW it won't work, it's an educated guess. 

And I agree it's a problem for Biden. This is what Trump is good at though. Promising the world, failing to deliver, blaming everybody else. There's some more three word slogans! 🤣

14 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Doesn't bother me being wrong. Just don't get how you don't think a 30ft wall across a border isn't a deterrent.

If it were to be completed, sure illegals will find another way in. But it won't be as easy and the US authorities will then try to shut down those other entry points once established.

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself in the same sentence here. If people will find another way in - then it hasn't worked.

12 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. You're right, I don't KNOW it won't work, it's an educated guess. 

And I agree it's a problem for Biden. This is what Trump is good at though. Promising the world, failing to deliver, blaming everybody else. There's some more three word slogans! 🤣

Trump couldn't even get the money for it from his own party when the had both houses, end up pinching money that was supposed to go to new military homes which are so run down

35 minutes ago, kent_white said:

It sounds like you're contradicting yourself in the same sentence here. If people will find another way in - then it hasn't worked.

Not at all. Assuming it will be a lot harder to gain entry with wall.

US authorities can then concentrate on other ways that are being used instead of walking straight through... like they do now

Peter Santenello has some interesting videos on the situation (youtube) as well as great insights to what it's like living in certain areas around the US and other cities around the word.

• Members
On 20/01/2024 at 03:23, DirtySanchez said:

He also takes a shit on a gold toilet 

Do you think he's a man of the people?

:lol: Do you think Biden is? You ought to read up on his wealth matey. They are all fucking hypocrites on that side - one of the biggest being that cunt Pelosi.

6 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Very good is this:

So articulately put and presented. Can you believe we're even having this conversation? How the hell have we ended up here.

The worrying thing is - I think there are many people that would accept DT as president for life if it was suggested. 

We're on a really rocky road here. 

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, kent_white said:

So articulately put and presented. Can you believe we're even having this conversation? How the hell have we ended up here.

The worrying thing is - I think there are many people that would accept DT as president for life if it was suggested. 

We're on a really rocky road here. 

I shouldn't worry- he's 78 iirc, so chances are he wouldn't be in the job for too long anyway!

Having watched that clip; it's the first I've heard of Trump's lot actually wanting to remove those democratic institutions. Clearly they're not happy about how some of them perform, and there is debate to be had over whether people of the law should be elected for example, but is that the same as wanting them to be scrapped?

Can't say the nitty gritty of American society etc is really my thing, but is it really as bad as that?

Stuff there about climate change, ignorance and slow movement, but that is an issue all over the world.

• Site Supporter
40 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I shouldn't worry- he's 78 iirc, so chances are he wouldn't be in the job for too long anyway!

Having watched that clip; it's the first I've heard of Trump's lot actually wanting to remove those democratic institutions. Clearly they're not happy about how some of them perform, and there is debate to be had over whether people of the law should be elected for example, but is that the same as wanting them to be scrapped?

Can't say the nitty gritty of American society etc is really my thing, but is it really as bad as that?

Stuff there about climate change, ignorance and slow movement, but that is an issue all over the world.

Then you have not been paying attention.

• Site Supporter

Trump is a coward hiding behind his wall and his inward looking approach.

Putin will be rubbing his hands together waiting for him to win (which seems likely), at which point the Ukranians may as well just throw the white flag up.

I’m just glad we have a thousand miles between us and the nearest Russian border. Certainly wouldn’t fancy the chances of the Baltic nations in a few years time.

But, you know, the swamp.

Edited by Spider