Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile In America

Zico

32 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Yes I have seen the posts by W1984. It’s a bizarre view of the world. Mind you he also told us that he would vote for Farage as well 🤓 

What's my view of the world?

Spider seems to think everything will be OK once Trump is reallocated. He's wrong on most things so we'll see.

Edited by wanderer1984

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

What's my view of the world?

Spider seems to think everything will be OK once Trump is reallocated. He's wrong on most things so we'll see.

I’m simply trusting your opinion on the matter.

You seem to be very certain of Trump’s ability to bring peace to the world.

Its what we all need. 

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

And you think Putin will stop at Ukraine ? 

I don't know and neither do you, I'd guess that he'll stop once he hits "NATO territory" though, but that's all it is, just a guess.

I'm not sure we can keep supporting somebody else's war indefinitely though

6 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I don't know and neither do you, I'd guess that he'll stop once he hits "NATO territory" though, but that's all it is, just a guess.

I'm not sure we can keep supporting somebody else's war indefinitely though

I do know it’s right that we stop him now and not when he is in Poland and Estonia. 

6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I do know it’s right that we stop him now and not when he is in Poland and Estonia. 

They're both in NATO, and as I've said I don't think he'd dare to try that, but who knows. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Sweep said:

They're both in NATO, and as I've said I don't think he'd dare to try that, but who knows. 

But the world should just let him do what he wants, and take the chance?

8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Well no but you cant criticise folk for wondering if all that funding could be better spent on ourselves.

Its only a matter of time untill the sympathy runs out.

16 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If he touches NATO territory, then he knows the consequences. We weren't bothered when he annexed the Crimea? - if we wanted to make some sort of stand, surely we should have done it then shouldn't we?

7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Well no but you cant criticise folk for wondering if all that funding could be better spent on ourselves.

At some point, I think that you're right, and the wider public will start to question the funding. I don't know the total numbers, but aren't we tipping in far more than anybody else (apart from the US), I'm not sure we should be doing that, unless we're being guaranteed the rebuild contracts, should this war ever actually be resolved

14 minutes ago, gonzo said:

That is where we are unfortunately. Putin is waiting for western allies to waiver so we absolutely shouldn’t IMO. 

• Members
15 minutes ago, Sweep said:

If he touches NATO territory, then he knows the consequences. We weren't bothered when he annexed the Crimea? - if we wanted to make some sort of stand, surely we should have done it then shouldn't we?

At some point, I think that you're right, and the wider public will start to question the funding. I don't know the total numbers, but aren't we tipping in far more than anybody else (apart from the US), I'm not sure we should be doing that, unless we're being guaranteed the rebuild contracts, should this war ever actually be resolved

Depends on how you want to measure it 

If you're talking actual amounts then yes we're second 

If you're talking %of GDP we are way down the list 

• Site Supporter

https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/topics_67655.htm

If any one can get to the end without nodding off, plenty of technical data here.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/nato-spending-by-country

2021 figures by GDP.

https://www.statista.com/chart/14636/defense-expenditures-of-nato-countries/

More recent figures.

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, tyldesley_white said:

And also remember we said we would help protect Ukraine if they gave up there Nuclear weapons, I know the word of the UK is not worth much now but I would hope for us to keep our word

Seeing as both major parties have committed to doing so, then you would imagine that will remain.

• Site Supporter

Given that the US has spend about 3% of its military budget giving Ukraine old kit that would be rusting in some desert otherwise, I think it would be foolish to stop sending Ukraine stuff.

We have sent a decent amount but IMO all Nato countries should be doing more, especially the likes of France.

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Sweep said:

😁

I read the other day that we're already about £10B in with support to Ukraine, and I think the US are up at about £40B - I presume that those in power thought that Russia would have run out of money/men/weapons by now. It could drag on for many, many more years, how much money will it cost us in the long run?  -  If, as Trump says, he'll pull the funding, will the UK/EU have to make up any shortfall?

A quick question:

Whilst we’re giving away tens of billion pounds in arming another country, are we still building up the national debt?

Or written another way, is this use by Ukraine of our armaments affecting their debt or ours?

36 minutes ago, MickyD said:

A quick question:

Whilst we’re giving away tens of billion pounds in arming another country, are we still building up the national debt?

Or written another way, is this use by Ukraine of our armaments affecting their debt or ours?

I don't know for definite, but I'd be surprised if it's reducing.......

59 minutes ago, MickyD said:

A quick question:

It's a hell of a lot cheaper than fighting Russia directly

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

A quick question:

It isn't enough IMO. Then again I don't think paying £34bn to an ex jockey for a shit Covid system is either. Or hundreds of millions to several shite PPE companies that popped up overnight in a pandemic.

Of the things to spend money on, this is actually value for money for a fucking change.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, MickyD said:

A quick question:

There’s a lot of money to be made rebuilding cities that have been levelled

And the allies would be front of the queue for the contracts.

Unless Trump tells his old mucker Vlad to keep as much Ukraine as he wants….

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Spider said:

There’s a lot of money to be made rebuilding cities that have been levelled

And the allies would be front of the queue for the contracts.

Unless Trump tells his old mucker Vlad to keep as much Ukraine as he wants….

We've already got defence companies assisting with production in Ukraine directly.

As for the debt, I dare so both Ukraine and its donors will be increasing their levels, but there isn't an alternative. 

As one expert put it, the west is now fighting a proxy war in the country, so we owe them as much support as possible. 

It's also a fact that Russia isn't doing particular well financially out of it neither.

They're also getting huge shipments of arms from Nortg Korea etc, and that will need balancing at some point.