Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The completely changed the face of British music and propelled the indie rock scene in to the main stream.  A whole generation of people wanted to dress like them and walk like them.  Their

The greatest quote of all time in the history of music,  "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage? ‘ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.” — Nick Cave

How shit were they? Pub rock. Out Of plastecine Fuck off

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Right

Ive steered largely clear of this thread for a bit as music is obviously subjective and it’s arguments that will go round in circles.

However, I WILL judge a band on its live performances, as that is the benchmark they use.

I have seen RHCP 5 times (3 times at festivals and twice on purpose). On each occasion they were dull as shite and their “sound” just got lost as soon as it came out of the speakers.

Theyre like watching a Phil Parkinson team. Drab, ineffective and most folk watching were halfway out the door long before the final whistle.

I liked Blood sugar sex magic for a while, but bizarrely I grew to find it a bit tedious. Decent albums will grow on you.

They do a song called Aeroplane that is uniquely awful and would get lesser bands shot.

Blood Sugar Sex Magick was a great album 

When i first got into music i fell into funk metal and that along with Angel Dust and The Real Thing (faith no more) and RATM by RATM were the only thing i listened to for ages 

Never got into their other albums, scar tissue was a good single, as was by the way but i never got why they got so big in the noughties 

Never seen them live

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

The greatest quote of all time in the history of music, 

"I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage? ‘ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.” — Nick Cave

Flea took it well to be fair 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/nick-cave-hurt-red-hot-chili-peppers-flea-feelings/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Now trying to think what decent stuff Nick Cave has done, only remember that murder ballad he did with Kylie and the cover of Cosmic Dancer on the recently released  Marc Bolan tribute album

You’ve a fair bit of homework to do

Start at red right hand and keep going

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Talking of groundbreaking. How good was Arctic Monkeys first album..

 

Still sounds as fresh as the first time I heard it

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Now trying to think what decent stuff Nick Cave has done, only remember that murder ballad he did with Kylie and the cover of Cosmic Dancer on the recently released  Marc Bolan tribute album

His last two albums have been breathtakingly brilliant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

His last two albums have been breathtakingly brilliant. 

Will have to check him out sometime, can recommend Tom Waits, he can write a decent song or two and Leonard Cohen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Will have to check him out sometime, can recommend Tom Waits, he can write a decent song or two and Leonard Cohen.

Huge Tom Waits fan. Was freaking the kids out with Swordfishtrombones at the weekend - altogether in the back - In the neighbourhood....in the neighbourhood.... 

Heart of Saturday Night, Hope That I Don't Fall in love with you, Hold On, Ruby's Arms, Ol' 55, Martha, Grapefruit Moon. Such amazing songs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Huge Tom Waits fan. Was freaking the kids out with Swordfishtrombones at the weekend - altogether in the back - In the neighbourhood....in the neighbourhood.... 

Heart of Saturday Night, Hope That I Don't Fall in love with you, Hold On, Ruby's Arms, Ol' 55, Martha, Grapefruit Moon. Such amazing songs.

If you really want to freak the kids out try anything from Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica album, still freaks me out after all these years listening to it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

If you really want to freak the kids out try anything from Captain Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica album, still freaks me out after all these years listening to it.

Not sure I can force that on them on a drive into town! Although to be honest, within five minutes they all have their headphones on anyway listening to Tik Toc. Damn shame, some of my favourite music was discovered by being forced to listen to my parents music on long car drives.

Might be a bit twee for you but Clifford T Ward is a great singer songwriter, I think he's hugely undervalued, but his Mantlepieces album is lovely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Not sure I can force that on them on a drive into town! Although to be honest, within five minutes they all have their headphones on anyway listening to Tik Toc. Damn shame, some of my favourite music was discovered by being forced to listen to my parents music on long car drives.

Might be a bit twee for you but Clifford T Ward is a great singer songwriter, I think he's hugely undervalued, but his Mantlepieces album is lovely.

Think I heard Johnnie Walker play Gaye on Sounds Of The 70s many years ago, also remember his other major hit Scullery, pretty good actually, one of those sadly forgotten singer songwriters such as Albert Hammond and Colin Bluestone.

Don't mind a bit of twee every now and again, have an album by Berni Flint somewhere (Of 'I Don't Want To Put A Hold On You' fame) and have been known to listen to bit of John Denver every now and again.

In fact now I'm nearly hitting 50 my taste in music has mellowed somewhat as I have compilations of Neil Diamond, James Taylor and even Barry Manilow in my collection

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

Think I heard Johnnie Walker play Gaye on Sounds Of The 70s many years ago, also remember his other major hit Scullery, pretty good actually, one of those sadly forgotten singer songwriters such as Albert Hammond and Colin Bluestone.

Don't mind a bit of twee every now and again, have an album by Berni Flint somewhere (Of 'I Don't Want To Put A Hold On You' fame) and have been known to listen to bit of John Denver every now and again.

In fact now I'm nearly hitting 50 my taste in music has mellowed somewhat as I have compilations of Neil Diamond, James Taylor and even Barry Manilow in my collection

 

That's the one, Home Thoughts From Abroad is a personal favourite. You don't want edgy all the time. There's something about that warm 70s production. Weyes Blood did a song called Andromeda, that really took that sound into a modern pop song. Love it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Traf said:

In fairness, they're both cunts

But one cunt has slightly more talent than the other cunt

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Mind you he did have a song called Tea Cosy which is a twee as you can get.

That's Dean Friedman level twee (Remember Lucky Stars from the late 70s?)

By the way had my Pfizer jab a couple of hours ago and still haven't got a hard-on 😂😂😂

Edited by DavidLeesMullet
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DavidLeesMullet said:
41 minutes ago, Rudy said:

But one cunt has slightly more talent than the other cunt

 

When you listen to their solo albums it's obvious Noel is the one with the talent and Liam is the one with the charisma

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DavidLeesMullet said:

When you listen to their solo albums it's obvious Noel is the one with the talent and Liam is the one with the charisma

Charisma is a stretch 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Announcements


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.