Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

PlayOffs 2022


Mantra

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

But the debt will be to him I assume and not a third party/bank? But like Morris at derby eventually they all get fed up, or pass away. 

Would FFP not be the issue next season surely they can’t retain the same wage bill and not risk FFP points deductions. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Would FFP not be the issue next season surely they can’t retain the same wage bill and not risk FFP points deductions. 

I might be wrong but I didn’t think we had FFP in league one? I thought it was a salary cap in 1&2 but they were scrapped? 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
9 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

In no way trying to justify this as no league one player for me should even be on 10k pw .
But do folk realise kachunga was on 25k per week at huddersfield? Yes it was championship and premier league and not league one but it was huddersfield and kachunga. maybe gives a bit of context to some of the daft money still kicking about for pretty average players 

 

Keeper seemingly highest paid and not even on 30k just had a quick look out of shock. Only 28k he’s on. 28k for a keeper in league one! Bannon 21k. 
 

It source is correct. 

I reckon Huddersfield season ticket holders, not that i know any, would've thought kachunga to be well worth the money as he helped them get up and stay up 

You could argue madine was money well spent as he was signed to help get Cardiff promoted and they did 

All about time and place 

See Amos 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Zico said:

I reckon Huddersfield season ticket holders, not that i know any, would've thought kachunga to be well worth the money as he helped them get up and stay up 

You could argue madine was money well spent as he was signed to help get Cardiff promoted and they did 

All about time and place 

See Amos 

 

Absolutely. But bannan for comparison if on Say 20k a week. Now he’s a luxury they don’t need seemingly. If he played a pass like that one for the goal tonight and it got them promoted then he’s worth it I guess. Like you say time and place. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I might be wrong but I didn’t think we had FFP in league one? I thought it was a salary cap in 1&2 but they were scrapped? 
 

 

I think they have something similar to FFP but it's less strict:

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

Basically you can't spend more than 60% of your turnover. Not sure how things changed post-pandemic though.

Full rules are here if you go to page 180

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/regulations-season-2021-22-final.pdf

Can't be arsed reading it all though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

Absolutely. But bannan for comparison if on Say 20k a week. Now he’s a luxury they don’t need seemingly. If he played a pass like that one for the goal tonight and it got them promoted then he’s worth it I guess. Like you say time and place. 

Aye, should've also said hindsight and all that  

We've been there 

Keith Andrews and all that 

I'm just glad we've gone full circle and are starting again on an upward trajectory 

Spunking 000s on average players and it not working out 

No thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I think they have something similar to FFP but it's less strict:

http://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php

Basically you can't spend more than 60% of your turnover. Not sure how things changed post-pandemic though.

Full rules are here if you go to page 180

https://www.efl.com/contentassets/b3cd34c726c341ca9636610aa4503172/regulations-season-2021-22-final.pdf

Can't be arsed reading it all though.

See I thought that was the rules and the “salary cap” I referred to, but I’m sure it got scrapped unless that was just during the height of the covid pandemic. 
 

but if it is then sheff weds with a wage bill of I don’t know 8/10m would be fine. It’s a shit measure tbh as they can spend unlimited amounts of transfers , agents etc outside of that. Not worth paper it’s written on 

Edited by Escobarp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

In no way trying to justify this as no league one player for me should even be on 10k pw .
But do folk realise kachunga was on 25k per week at huddersfield? Yes it was championship and premier league and not league one but it was huddersfield and kachunga. maybe gives a bit of context to some of the daft money still kicking about for pretty average players 

 

Keeper seemingly highest paid and not even on 30k just had a quick look out of shock. Only 28k he’s on. 28k for a keeper in league one! Bannon 21k. 
 

It source is correct. 

Peacock Farrell is on a long contract at Burnley, he's at Sheff Wed on loan, so they don't have to carry on paying him and not sure if the £28k is partly covered by Burnley?  Anyway it sounds like he won't be back next season if they're skint.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Zico said:

Spunking 000s on average players and it not working out

No thanks

Reality is most clubs probably are spunking 000s on players that aren't worth it. It's just part of the absurdity of the beautiful game. There's so much risk and reward with player transfers. Clubs have players that are stealing a living. Or clubs are paying wages they can't afford.

Millwall were spunking 000s on Bodvarsson for him to be sitting around doing feck all and they probably thought he's a waste of space. But for us he's been top class so far. Kinda feeds into your time and place comment.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iirc Wednesday's owner was chucking loads of money in, expecting to get them up.  When they fell further away from the PL promotion spots, he was complaining that FFP prevented him from chucking more in.  They can probably afford to continue paying the high wages until they get back into the Championship 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Peacock Farrell is on a long contract at Burnley, he's at Sheff Wed on loan, so they don't have to carry on paying him and not sure if the £28k is partly covered by Burnley?  Anyway it sounds like he won't be back next season if they're skint.

They're after Doncaster's keeper apparently

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Did they not sell the stadium at an inflated value to another company owned by same owner and this covered a chunk of the losses for about 3 years?

Yes, as did Derby. An accounting trick to disguise, very poorly, what the incomings were & so to alter the apparent difference between income & spending were ... for financial fair play calculations.

Not in either the letter, or spirit of FFP regulations and was the crux of their misdemeanours. Both clubs got different punishments abd, due to Derby's deliberate filibustering, in different seasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

7FD9DDC4-CA42-49DA-B53F-1C58C8DD7C72.thumb.png.1362f03203f7d59de0d7634b8f70c9e7.png
 

Look at this table from 28th March. You wouldn't have predicted a Wycombe and Sunderland final. Just goes to show, the play-offs is all about peaking at the right time not necessarily about consistency over the season. 

Less so if you’re aiming for an automatic spot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, desperado said:

7FD9DDC4-CA42-49DA-B53F-1C58C8DD7C72.thumb.png.1362f03203f7d59de0d7634b8f70c9e7.png
 

Look at this table from 28th March. You wouldn't have predicted a Wycombe and Sunderland final. Just goes to show, the play-offs is all about peaking at the right time not necessarily about consistency over the season. 

Less so if you’re aiming for an automatic spot. 

Maybe not predicted, but the top 8 there ended up as the top 8 and play off finalists were only a win away from being 5th there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the last 30 years overall it appears finishing third is still the best position with nearly 40% of winners coming third. But more recently its better to finish 6th..so there something that seems to have shifted psychologically in recent times, or it's just a quirk, or it's all just bollocky stats.

Either way, you can spin it whatever way you want but you need the better team and also, like all knockouts, luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

In the last 30 years overall it appears finishing third is still the best position with nearly 40% of winners coming third. But more recently its better to finish 6th..so there something that seems to have shifted psychologically in recent times, or it's just a quirk, or it's all just bollocky stats.

Either way, you can spin it whatever way you want but you need the better team and also, like all knockouts, luck.

Psychologically there must be something in it. 

MK must have been shattered after fighting so hard and missing out on automatic promotion.

Meanwhile, had we managed to keep our run going in the spring then that level of momentum would have been absolutely unstoppable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Psychologically there must be something in it. 

MK must have been shattered after fighting so hard and missing out on automatic promotion.

Meanwhile, had we managed to keep our run going in the spring then that level of momentum would have been absolutely unstoppable. 

Just don't finish 5th, it's like less than 20% or something of playoff winners finish there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Psychologically there must be something in it. 

MK must have been shattered after fighting so hard and missing out on automatic promotion.

Meanwhile, had we managed to keep our run going in the spring then that level of momentum would have been absolutely unstoppable. 

I'm interested to see how Northampton get on in play offs for this very reason after the Bristol Rovers business at weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

In the last 30 years overall it appears finishing third is still the best position with nearly 40% of winners coming third. But more recently its better to finish 6th..so there something that seems to have shifted psychologically in recent times, or it's just a quirk, or it's all just bollocky stats.

Either way, you can spin it whatever way you want but you need the better team and also, like all knockouts, luck.

I suppose it depends on how a team finishes sixth.

If they sneak in on the final day on a good run of form I can see how that momentum would be useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.