Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

How dare you! I have a couple of very nice M&S PJ sets.

My tour t-shits are to be worn loud and proud on a weekend when going round B&Q.

''I might be looking to upgrade the kids bedroom....but I'll be listening to Nine Inch Nails whilst doing it!''

CapitalDisfiguredGreendarnerdragonfly-si

• Site Supporter

I sleep in the nip. Not always ideal like the other night when I was chasing a massive spider across the landing that had woken my daughter up.

anyway.

Start stocking up on candles, gas lamps and camping stoves people.

When the big banks are preparing for blackouts, you know this is no longer a drill….

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/europes-banks-dim-lights-they-brace-winter-blackout-2022-09-07/

14 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

All that flapping on social media and Liz comes up with £100 billion help towards our bills.   How does that work, have they cut milk from primary schools to compensate it ?

Only after the election. In the first instance they borrow more money on the international bond markets, causing govt borrowing to increase and the pound to weaken further against the US Dollar, which encourages domestic inflation since the dollar is the international reserve currency. 

Or they could just introduce a windfall tax on the gas/oil producers, preferably retrospectivley, but they won't because they are Tories. They will tell you it's to protect your pension, but if your portfolio is sufficiently (globally) diversified, BP, Shell and Centrica will make such a small part of it that it won't make fcuk all difference to your retirement compared to forking out £5K pa on gas and leccy in the here and now. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

All that flapping on social media and Liz comes up with £100 billion help towards our bills.   How does that work, have they cut milk from primary schools to compensate it ?

It’s on tick

cash in your pension and change it into US$ whilst you can.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Only after the election. In the first instance they borrow more money on the international bond markets, causing govt borrowing to increase and the pound to weaken further against the US Dollar, which encourages domestic inflation since the dollar is the international reserve currency. 

Or they could just introduce a windfall tax on the gas/oil producers, preferably retrospectivley, but they won't because they are Tories. They will tell you it's to protect your pension, but if your portfolio is sufficiently (globally) diversified, BP, Shell and Centrica will make such a small part of it that it won't make fcuk all difference to your retirement compared to forking out £5K pa on gas and leccy in the here and now. 

Lefty canute

• Site Supporter

My mate at Ofgem reckons blackouts are all but certain in January.

Things to start buying (or selling if you’re that way inclined):

Power banks for charging phones/ipads

candles

camping stoves

flasks

deisel generators

9 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

The pound falling off a cliff, as it is at the minute (currently trading at £1/$1.149) is a massive concern - as RoadRunnerFan says, it'll just massively increase inflation.

Looking at the currency markets this morning, you can see they've already factored in what Truss will announce later, and they don't seem to like it. This first policy/action, could be the undoing of her. I can't for a minute understand why she isn't going for a windfall tax.

The more I think about it, the more I think that some people are in for a very, very tough time this winter

• Site Supporter

It’s all the work of Rees Mogg

Condition a population to NEED to be in the workplace for warmth and to save money.

offices will open longer so people don’t need to use energy at home.

Stay at work, the government will pay folks.

Im off to chop to some trees down.

43 minutes ago, Sweep said:

The pound falling off a cliff, as it is at the minute (currently trading at £1/$1.149) is a massive concern - as RoadRunnerFan says, it'll just massively increase inflation.

The more I think about it, the more I think that some people are in for a very, very tough time this winter

Also affecting the travel industry, as people slowly realise how much a trip to the USA/Caribbean is going to cost.

We're supposedly on a big family trip to Florida next June, but I've told them it's going on hold because I'm a miserable cunt of a fun vacuum of my fears about the costings.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Spider said:

It’s all the work of Rees Mogg

Condition a population to NEED to be in the workplace for warmth and to save money.

offices will open longer so people don’t need to use energy at home.

Stay at work, the government will pay folks.

Im off to chop to some trees down.

I await the bleating from work at home types who have to heat their home. Conveniently forgetting the fuel and time saving theyve been getting

3 hours ago, Sweep said:

Looking at the currency markets this morning, you can see they've already factored in what Truss will announce later, and they don't seem to like it. This first policy/action, could be the undoing of her. I can't for a minute understand why she isn't going for a windfall tax.

It is going to be tough for Several winters as we are going to be paying back the 100 billion the government are borrowing.