Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis


gonzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone felt the pinch yet?

Notice a good proportion of my hotels are quiet this week. But with the jubilee round the corner and pride the week after maybe folk are simply saving their trips for that.

Cant help but feel the media are driving a lot of it. They seem hell bent on us heading into a recession. Making people panic and stop spending.

They should be telling everyone its all gravy.

Only area Ive felt it is diesel. £154 to fill my van the other day. That's taking the piss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Anyone felt the pinch yet?

Notice a good proportion of my hotels are quiet this week. But with the jubilee round the corner and pride the week after maybe folk are simply saving their trips for that.

Cant help but feel the media are driving a lot of it. They seem hell bent on us heading into a recession. Making people panic and stop spending.

They should be telling everyone its all gravy.

Only area Ive felt it is diesel. £154 to fill my van the other day. That's taking the piss.

You not checked your gas and electricity bill of late?

Food as well, big weekly shop used to be around £100 now its £125 for the same stuff.

Rents have gone up massively too if you rent and mortgages are only going one way once your fixed period ends.

If you have enough left over each month you don't notice it as much but I do wonder how folk on minimum wage cope.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Anyone felt the pinch yet?

Notice a good proportion of my hotels are quiet this week. But with the jubilee round the corner and pride the week after maybe folk are simply saving their trips for that.

Cant help but feel the media are driving a lot of it. They seem hell bent on us heading into a recession. Making people panic and stop spending.

They should be telling everyone its all gravy.

Only area Ive felt it is diesel. £154 to fill my van the other day. That's taking the piss.

It’s folk at the lower end that will feel it or those with large families I suspect. 
 

given the massive wages on here I suspect we won’t feel it in the main. 
 

We are seeing it hit home at work with people not spending as they were at the smaller customer level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

You not checked your gas and electricity bill of late?

 

Yeah was thinking more of direct impact on my business really. Im working out town on contracts that were priced on petrol prices from two years ago. 

Our household bills are the wife's job, I judge that on how much she moans when I want a night out :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Yeah was thinking more of direct impact on my business really. Im working out town on contracts that were priced on petrol prices from two years ago. 

Our household bills are the wife's job, I judge that on how much she moans when I want a night out :D

Imagine if she knew the real cost 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

It’s folk at the lower end that will feel it or those with large families I suspect. 
 

given the massive wages on here I suspect we won’t feel it in the main. 
 

We are seeing it hit home at work with people not spending as they were at the smaller customer level. 

Its going to effect everyone - obviously not the WW millionaires.

Petrol obviously - £1.69 at the local yesterday

Food - yeah but it's not hitting me in the back pocket just yet

Bills - yep, which has also made the hike in council tax last year painful. Lardlord putting rent up as well.

We're certainly already cutting the cloth. The big issue is the knock-ons effects for us. Entertainment is the first budget to be cut, if producers lose money on shows, they will cut media budgets and agency fees or just cut back. Touring shows are going to struggle - outside the big cities - London. Manchester, Bristol - things are a slog. we had a boost in september last year but now its spending to stand still for sales.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Its going to effect everyone - obviously not the WW millionaires.

Petrol obviously - £1.69 at the local yesterday

Food - yeah but it's not hitting me in the back pocket just yet

Bills - yep, which has also made the hike in council tax last year painful. Lardlord putting rent up as well.

We're certainly already cutting the cloth. The big issue is the knock-ons effects for us. Entertainment is the first budget to be cut, if producers lose money on shows, they will cut media budgets and agency fees or just cut back. Touring shows are going to struggle - outside the big cities - London. Manchester, Bristol - things are a slog. we had a boost in september last year but now its spending to stand still for sales.

agree a large chunk of the country will start to struggle more and more. Something needs to be done but I don’t know what the answer is. If we hadn’t just come through a 2 year shitsitorm We might have more money to chuck at it from a state perspective but the solution from most is that state should pay and it’s wrong. But I do think the state should be paying to help the most vulnerable in the society absolutely. 
 

Im lucky we see the increases across the board but aren’t felling the pressure from it and likely wont,  but that doesn’t mean I don’t think action is needed. I just disagree with the constant call for money to be given out for everything nowadays. There is no money tree 

A windfall tax on energy companies to be redistributed then to subsidize those in need 100% a great idea. We need more idea like this but actually turn them into policies and implement them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The inflation rate is tanking the stock market, the pound is getting battered by the dollar, freight rates through the roof, fuel price is mental, national insurance up, its a disaster zone and its only just begun, absolutely everyone other than the very rich going to feel this.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The inflation rate is tanking the stock market, the pound is getting battered by the dollar, freight rates through the roof, fuel price is mental, national insurance up, its a disaster zone and its only just begun, absolutely everyone other than the very rich going to feel this.   

Welcome to your Reward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Anyone felt the pinch yet?

Notice a good proportion of my hotels are quiet this week. But with the jubilee round the corner and pride the week after maybe folk are simply saving their trips for that.

Cant help but feel the media are driving a lot of it. They seem hell bent on us heading into a recession. Making people panic and stop spending.

They should be telling everyone its all gravy.

Only area Ive felt it is diesel. £154 to fill my van the other day. That's taking the piss.

Without a doubt folk are being affected, and like others, I've noticed the cost of food rising.

That said, you're spot on about the media- the Peston effect in full swing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I noticed a 4kg bag of Royal Canin for the dog has gone up by £3

a day at doggy day care is now £25, up from £22.50, pre pandemic it was £20, but I suspect that is just as much down to less people sending their dogs in now more folk are working from home

went in M&S foodhall the other day, part of a BP station so not the cheapest anyway, but a box of teabags, bottle of cordial and bag of salad to came to £7 - that's the first time I've thought fuck me food prices are on the up, dunno what it was before, but £7 seems steep

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

The plumbing & heating game has died on its arse the last few weeks.

There are no boilers available, people are cancelling jobs at all levels and the bathroom guys are saying they've lost a load of orders this month.

People don't buy a new bog if cornflakes are £5 a box.

The supply chains are in tatters and it's now starting to affect the big sites. A site I'm working on in Manchester (one of those massive skyscrapers) is struggling - was there last week and a complete lack of shower trays was holding the entire job up. Mental.

I just remind people that the UK will suffer less than the EU and that the milk and honey will be flowing from the hills any day now. Obviously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My gas & electricity has gone up 25% to £50.88p a month, bear in mind I live in a two bed bungalow.   I hate driving so it's only gone up about a tenner a month for petrol.   I'm a Aldi shopper so not really noticed anything different on that.   I've looked at other areas where I can save to make the difference up and I can't, I don't seem to waste money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The inflation rate is tanking the stock market, the pound is getting battered by the dollar, freight rates through the roof, fuel price is mental, national insurance up, its a disaster zone and its only just begun, absolutely everyone other than the very rich going to feel this.   

Unfortunately, they're the buggers who make the decisions that might make life a little bit easier for normal folk.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Fuel increase doesn’t affect me as I only ever put twenty quid in 

I have a fuel card

So I still put the premium fuel in. When people on the forecourt see me doing that I can tell they're get aroused at the thought of my wealth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Spider said:

I have a fuel card

So I still put the premium fuel in. When people on the forecourt see me doing that I can tell they're get aroused at the thought of my wealth.

Does 2012 Mondeo run on premium fuel?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Spider said:

I have a fuel card

So I still put the premium fuel in. When people on the forecourt see me doing that I can tell they're get aroused at the thought of my wealth.

Our drivers cards barred from premium, if premium goes in, driver pays for it with no recompense. 
 

caused murder at first but they seem to got out of the habit of making that “mistake” once a few didn’t get it paid back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.