Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Cost Of Living Crisis

gonzo

Just had some great news from work. 

This year's pay increase is less than the extra I'm now expected to contribute to my pension each month. 

So my monthly take home will be going down from the end of this month. 

Additionally because it's backdated and my increased pension contributions are greater than my pay increase I should expect a 'significant short fall in pay' this month as they take my arrears out. 

God bless the Tories! And long live the NHS! 😳

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

This year's pay increase is less than the extra I'm now expected to contribute to my pension each month. 

Additionally because it's backdated and my increased pension contributions are greater than my pay increase I should expect a 'significant short fall in pay' this month as they take my arrears out. 

Just become a banker.

You're welcome.

49 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Where have you heard that?

The new employee contribution rates are only effective Oct 1st?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, kent_white said:

The pension schemes can't afford to continue as they have been doing without extra contributions, so something has to give.

local government schemes changed significantly quite some years ago-funding model was unsustainable given how long members were living. Resulted in reduced benefit/ higher contributions. 

Not sure what difference the colour of government makes as the same issue exists. 

The current one is about to scrap tax increases that were introduced to bring about extra funding, seemingly to popular acclaim.

The public can't have it both ways, and perhaps a more open national debate needs to take place- pay more tax and expect a higher level of services, or have a lower tax regime, but buy additional, private add on policies. 

A different coloured government may pay more, but then cuts occur elsewhere, unless tax goes up.

Whether the new policy of cutting taxes to achieve growth and a higher tax take overall will work who knows, time will tell.

You'll have to start bumping gippers off early!😁

• Site Supporter

Pensions are something seldom mentioned by the media with regards to the cost of living crisis. 

I'd imagine (hope I'm wrong) that a lot of people will be opting out, if they do have a pension at all. I'm paying about 300 a month into mine, but people struggling might not have that luxury. Potential to cause money issues down the line. 

Spoke to a few people in their late 50's and early 60's recently that don't have pensions and live in rented homes.. Quite scary for some what's to come. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

The pound is getting weaker and weaker

Should make importing energy a right giggle

Conversely it helps with exports to America.

Nothing much changes with the EU as there hasn't been much change in relationship between £ & €.

Interest rates will be going up again soon, as some commentators have said they already should have.

The US out their rates up quicker, which strengthened the dollar.

The US also being a net exporter of energy also helps. There's not much we can do about that at this present moment, but focus on increasing our independence from imported gas as we have been doing for some time.

Weirdly, in doing so, criticism has come their way. Can't have it always- energy independence can only be achieved by investment, and if that means some higher initial bills, then so be it.

On 17/09/2022 at 08:12, Spider said:

The pound is getting weaker and weaker

Should make importing energy a right giggle

On 17/09/2022 at 10:05, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Conversely it helps with exports to America.

Yes and no. It helps if what we're exporting has no USD finger print in it, which isn't very much these days. 

I supply to companies who export a lot to the US, at present, and because of the e/r lag, they're seeing reduced sell prices and increased raw material pricing. 

Its a pretty severe situation for UK manufacturers at the minute

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Sweep said:

Yes and no. It helps if what we're exporting has no USD finger print in it, which isn't very much these days. 

I supply to companies who export a lot to the US, at present, and because of the e/r lag, they're seeing reduced sell prices and increased raw material pricing. 

We’re just moaning.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Sweep said:

As it is around the world. Everyone seeing higher prices.

Not too long ago, commentators were saying the pound was over valued!

Interesting that inflation rose in the US in the latest figures, despite their strong currency. That wasn't expected and illustrates the difficulties everyone is facing.

Meanwhile employment still rising here.

It's so easy for some posters to moan and want to paint a picture of a buggered nation. Personally I prefer to look at everything as a whole, understand how as a nation we're really playing our part in helping others, and hopefully bringing the war to as early an end as possible. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not too long ago, commentators were saying the pound was over valued!

It's been pretty shit for a few years now. I do expect at some point in the next few years to see the USD crash, as they just can't keep printing money as they have been doing.