Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Royal Race Row

little whitt

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

From where we are.

We are a divided nation - a scissored isle.

We're stuck to much in the past. We are not a colonial nation, we need European partners, we are not a global power. Lets look at our amazing strengths.

A modern forward looking country, that works with partners, is proud of our history but doesn't arrogantly rest on it.

There's no reason we can't achieve that as a constitutional monarchy

Read last week that Charlie is hoovering up assets from folk who have died without a will. Made a few hundred million from it. Cunt.

My mistake only 60m 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/23/revealed-king-charles-secretly-profiting-from-the-assets-of-dead-citizens

Edited by jayjayoghani

4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Why?

They act as a benign outlet for people to express their patriotism, without which that patriotism may instead be expressed through the political sphere - I don't doubt the far right exists in this country but it isn't a serious political force and the presence of a monarchy is in part the reason why

They act as a unifying focal point for the country by avoiding publicly involving themselves in the contentious issues of our time

The country has no appetite for a partisan Head of State and the Royal Family not only understand that implicitly - the existence of their institution depends on it - but are conditioned for that role from a young age

The alternative would most likely involve giving greater power to the most influential politician at any given period - imagine President or Head of State Boris Johnson

They have no real power and the democratic will of the public is exercised in full by Parliament 

They have no significant negative impact on people's lives and any alternative is unlikely to be better or offers us something we don't already have

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

They act as a benign outlet for people to express their patriotism, without which that patriotism may instead be expressed through the political sphere - I don't doubt the far right exists in this country but it isn't a serious political force and the presence of a monarchy is in part the reason why

They act as a unifying focal point for the country by avoiding publicly involving themselves in the contentious issues of our time

The country has no appetite for a partisan Head of State and the Royal Family not only understand that implicitly - the existence of their institution depends on it - but are conditioned for that role from a young age

The alternative would most likely involve giving greater power to the most influential politician at any given period - imagine President or Head of State Boris Johnson

They have no real power and the democratic will of the public is exercised in full by Parliament 

They have no significant negative impact on people's lives and any alternative is unlikely to be better or offers us something we don't already have

So basically, they're there to appease the fragile ego's of millions of thick people.

13 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

Your last two paragraphs show an distinct misunderstanding of their power.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

What power?

They have no power in any meaningful sense

And that's why they will always be heads of state.

Because we dismiss the power they have.

If you look at it terms of literal policy than you are already asking the wrong questions.

If they had no power we wouldn't have had the reformation.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

And that's why they will always be heads of state.

Because we dismiss the power they have.

If you look at it terms of literal policy than you are already asking the wrong questions.

If they had no power we wouldn't have had the reformation.

But what power - as a constitutional monarchy - do they have now?

4 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

But what power - as a constitutional monarchy - do they have now?

We can keep going on and on. Literal power? As in to make policy nothing - not that's not the issue is.

They do have real social power, which impacts on governments and the public.

As I say, if you keep talking about literal power, you are forgetting all the other things that dictate public - and therefore political - power.

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

We can keep going on and on. Literal power? As in to make policy nothing - not that's not the issue is.

They do have real social power, which impacts on governments and the public.

As I say, if you keep talking about literal power, you are forgetting all the other things that dictate public - and therefore political - power.

No, I'm not

I'm asking what power they have - literal or soft - and how it manifests itself?

How has the Royal Family in its current guise dictated public and political power, or influenced the actions of the Government?

In what sense do they have a significant negative impact on the lives of the general public?

5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

No, I'm not

I'm asking what power they have - literal or soft - and how it manifests itself?

How has the Royal Family in its current guise dictated public and political power, or influenced the actions of the Government?

In what sense do they have a significant negative impact on the lives of the general public?

If we went through there soft power.

Look at the turn out for every major royal event- millions.

That's not easily dismissed- as you are - by any politicial party. You know, those who are in power.

And those who turn out vote.

That's just not soft power.

That's power.

8 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

If we went through there soft power.

Look at the turn out for every major royal event- millions.

That's not easily dismissed- as you are - by any politicial party. You know, those who are in power.

And those who turn out vote.

That's just not soft power.

That's power.

That popularity exists because it's an apolitical institution - it grants them no power to act as a political agent or to exercise meaningful power 

It's not a mandate for anything other than the existence of a constitutional monarchy

Any perceived power beyond that is illusory

4 minutes ago, Zico said:

I'm reading and trying to follow this conversation 

And the conclusion I have come to 

Is the French riot more than we do because they have no royal family

Well, if you had the history of the anciene regime you'd probably have a history of rioting.

Thankfully in Britain we had the middle class to buffer it.

1 minute ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

That popularity exists because it's an apolitical institution - it grants them no power to act as a political agent or to exercise meaningful power 

It's not a mandate for anything other than the existence of a constitutional monarchy

Any perceived power beyond that is illusory

Wow, that's a first statement - and ignores our social history. They are not popular because they are apolitical.

You are discussing them as though they have only existed since the reformation.

I'm not in disagreement with you about our constitution, but the idea the royal family are are benign sideline with no power in this country is fanciful.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Wow, that's a first statement - and ignores our social history. They are not popular because they are apolitical.

You are discussing them as though they have only existed since the reformation.

I'm not in disagreement with you about our constitution, but the idea the royal family are are benign sideline with no power in this country is fanciful.

No, I'm discussing the monarchy as it exists now

It owes its existence to our social history but it retains its popularity today because it's an apolitical institution

9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

And that's why you are missing my point. You are talking about literal power, rather than what informs it.

I think you might actually be missing mine

My claim was the monarchy has no real power, as in the power to bend a Government to its will or to directly impose laws on the populace

And it doesn't

At best, it can call upon a cultural influence in support of its own existence as a benign institution