Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lincoln City (A)

burnden

1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Fucking hell, they weren’t kidding when they christened the walk up to the cathedral as ‘Steep Hill’

I made that mistake last year.

I thought, with Lincoln being a spit from the Fens, that it would be a tongue in cheek name. Bit like "Brightside" in the creaking post-industrial heartland straddling Sheffield and Rotherham, or "Belle Vue' overlooking a council estate in Manchester.

Not so. 

Anyway, I enjoyed my visit last year, a nice win, noisy away end, even a bit of quick-walk-dont-look-back, mazing our way out of the stadium. Hopefully it's a fruitful visit for the lads and lasses down there tonight. 2-1 to the Whites, after conceding first. Dapo brace.

Don't know what to expect from Lincoln - they're as bad as us for inconsistency with some great results and some shockers - but they tend to do better against the "bigger clubs" i.e. the likes of us.

We really need a win and I'm just hoping we don't leave the back door open for them to nick it.

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Don't know what to expect from Lincoln - they're as bad as us for inconsistency with some great results and some shockers - but they tend to do better against the "bigger clubs" i.e. the likes of us.

We really need a win and I'm just hoping we don't leave the back door open for them to nick it.

If there's one team in this league that you know what to expect from (apart from top 3 winning most weeks) its Lincoln home games.  8 draws out of 10 as mentioned previously, only Peterboro have conceded less at home.  Not a lot of recent evidence to suggest we'll win this and I'm hoping we don't become their 3rd victims.  0-0, few chances for either side.

12 minutes ago, Jayjay23 said:

Hi guys, my first post here so here goes. I'll jump straight to the master at hand. 

I felt that we played too much long ball against Derby and we seem to have lost that edge, that beautiful passing football that we came to live last season seems to have evaporated. It's become a bit of nice play followed by lots of rushing about and aimless kicking forward. 

Charles is a huge frustration for me, and not just his missing chances. He chases and chases but it's no good if he can't control the ball or turns into a man whenever he has it. He always ends up battling for possession that he already had, flailing his arms, invariably ending up on the floor. 

Does anyone else see this? 

As for our best eleven, it's really hard to pick. What are your thoughts folks? 

Personally my main criticism of Dion was that he's been choosing to go down too easily when we need him to just hold onto the ball for a little while high up the pitch, ref's aren't blowing for none as soft as he's trying to buy & a good few times it ends up with us defending dangerous counter attacks with one of our players down on the floor most of the time. Dapo goes down a lot but has the knack of buying the fouls much better with anticipation of when the challenge is going to come in & the stats the past few seasons shows he's one of the most fouled player in the lower leagues so he knows what he's doing. Dion's not been as efficient as I expected him to be after his blistering start in a BWFC shirt I genuinely thought we may have a Jamie Vardy type of striker but I think Dion's technical aspect of the game suffers due to how much he puts in off the ball, his energy & work rate is some of the best we've had in years so I can forgive some of the rough edges in his game in possession.

Best XI Toal/Santos/Johnston as our heart of the defence I like Aimson too but I think the three prior are the future of our defence for years to come as they are all "modern" centre backs with loads of room to grow still. Bradley is the best player in our XI so that's a given at RWB, I think John had a great season last season goals/assists very good attacking wise where as Iredale has some all round balance to him in the XI but hasn't set the world a light. Centre midfield is tough as nobodies really made themselves un-droppable making the spot theirs week in/week out, we need some more physicality/energy to come in if we want to get better as a unit. On his day I think Bod is our best complete ST he looked tip-top at the end of last season but his fitness has let him down so far, I did want to see him & Dapo as the front two with Dion on the bench last month but Dion started to find some goal form so if Bod was to start which for me he would then it means Dapo dropping into the role behind the strikers where he isn't as effective but I'd need him in my team. 

2 hours ago, Jayjay23 said:

Hi guys, my first post here so here goes. I'll jump straight to the matter at hand. 

I felt that we played too much long ball against Derby and we seem to have lost that edge, that beautiful passing football that we came to love last season seems to have evaporated. It's become a bit of nice play followed by lots of rushing about and aimless kicking forward. 

Charles is a huge frustration for me, and not just his missing of chances. He chases and chases but it's no good if he can't control the ball or turns into a man whenever he has it. He always ends up battling for possession that he already had, flailing his arms, invariably ending up on the floor. 

Does anyone else see this? 

As for our best eleven, it's really hard to pick. What are your thoughts folks? 

Re. Long ball v derby. We did but this was influenced by the pitch and their pressing.

Sadlier's playing to be put in the shop window, never really been trusted before but we know why Evatt's doing so now so close to the window opening. No complaints about MJ & Dempsey we lacked physicality/legs in the centre against Derby I know they came on near the endd & didn't really do anything but hopefully they're fresh to put a proper shift in tonight. 

11 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Re. Long ball v derby. We did but this was influenced by the pitch and their pressing.

Thing is, I wasn't talking about all long balls, some are forced, I agree with you there.  However, I was referring to the number of completely unforced, and unnecessary long balls.