Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tv Shows

L/H White

• Site Supporter

I don't have much of a gaydar, but a lad i used to work with is finely tuned and he had Lewis down as wearing nice shoes years ago.

Something about having 19 other blokes right up your arse maybe, I dunno, I'm old.

I have a limited gaydar, my lez-detector is very accurate though.

I was alerted to a certain driver's puddle-jumpery purely by accident.

I happened across a Twitter account called #beardclub.

I have no idea how (I happened upon it).

But I found it most amusing.

Also the fact it hadn't been challenged was telling.

No, I remember now, I think I was googling Irina Shayk or whatever she's called, for research purposes.

She's apparently a serial beard.

Anyway, I found it funny, the account.

Matter of factly 'outing' sportsmen such as; L***s, R**y, R*****o... Actors such as B*****y C****r and H**h J*****n and sundry others such as DJ and producer C****n H****s...

I found it mildly amusing anyhow.

10 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

and anything after is political leanings and interpretation.

Not if you're good.

We were forced to study Thatcher's reign of terror.

I didn't eviscerate her.

The whole point of history is mainly historiography and 'they said this, those wrote that, and I think...'

Used to piss me off when people expect you to know the dates of, erm, The War of The Roses or which King was which...

Saying that, that Kate Williams stock in trade is repetition and telling the story.

She was shite on Larry Osman's House of Games...

She should be added to the 'fit but know it' thread tho' - the ginger minx.

I would like to think there is no ginger hair below her neckline though. Well apart from her long curls on her head.

3 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

True.

But what it isn't is rote learning.

Parrot-fashion repetition.

The wives of Henry VIII..?

Who gives a fuck.

Well its interesting that because our generation didn't do rote learning in history it was all learning about secondary and first hand evidence. The issue with that is you don't have the basics set in place which is why older generation know the dates etc better but are not as stong on interpreting them.

Place for both, the amount of folk who blindly go through life not know very much about their local history, nevermind regional, country-wide or global is frightening at times. Leads to a build up of ignorance, like sediment, layered on generation upon generation. I'm not saying that people need to know the links between Flemish weavers and Bolton (a direct impact on our accent and one of the reasons we are a strong protestant town) but knowing where you come from, how you got somewhere, is massively important.

Hang on, I know my local history.

Love stuff like that.

My great grandmother was Irish and a pisspot after her husband died early...

My grandmother burned her foot on the coal fire as a kid...

Then sliced open her feet, shoeless, walking along a back wall that had glass set into tar on it.

Some passerby saw her bleeding heavily sat on the kerb, blood flowing into a grid.

"Where's your mum?"

"In the pub"

She was taken into the version of 'care' back then aka The Cottage Homes (Codgems)...

They pretty much were indentured servants the kids - doing all the shitty sheets from Townleys.

She got reclaimed by her pisspot mother as soon as she was eligible to work in th'mill.

She met a nice bloke a few years later, and got wed, he pegged it from pneumonia after six years...

I was out of the country when that Worktown exhibit was on, gutted I missed it.

Local history and familial roots type stuff is great.

Knowing what year Anne Boleyn got her noggin chopped off not so.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well its interesting that because our generation didn't do rote learning in history it was all learning about secondary and first hand evidence. The issue with that is you don't have the basics set in place which is why older generation know the dates etc better but are not as stong on interpreting them.

Place for both, the amount of folk who blindly go through life not know very much about their local history, nevermind regional, country-wide or global is frightening at times. Leads to a build up of ignorance, like sediment, layered on generation upon generation. I'm not saying that people need to know the links between Flemish weavers and Bolton (a direct impact on our accent and one of the reasons we are a strong protestant town) but knowing where you come from, how you got somewhere, is massively important.

Our combined knowledge of Anglo Saxon England (I’m using this as an example purely based on the fact I’m going through a phase) is based on virtually no tangible evidence at all.

The sources used are a book written by Bede 150 years after they supposedly happened. He’s probably reliable enough, but we take 200 years of English history from the pen of a monk with a grudge.

Its a bit like the bible. All the gospels were written decades after the supposed events took place and whilst they may be vaguely correct, they could be nothing more than a 3rd century copy of Viz and total bollocks.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I'll say this quietly but NIC makes some very good points.

Fascinating to delve into the history of how the intricate tapestry that is the Bolton we all know and love came to be.

Tapestry.

I like what you’ve done there.

1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Finished Battlestar Galactica last week, all the series are on iPlayer, definitely worth a go if you're that way inclined.

Think Kent recommended The Expanse in a similar vein so am goimg to do that next I reckon.

Tried BG but gave up after two series, not sure its dated all that well, but people do love it.

Going to try that White Lotus on Sky, see if it lives up to the hype.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, L/H White said:

started watching the crown decent enough so far

does the queen get nobbed in it by any chance?  lovely the lass that plays her

Yes

Theres a brutal ten minute scene of her pegging Phil with a hunting rifle before he completes himself all over the royal breasts.

@Rudy

The life and times of Malcolm X.

I lived in Spain for a spell when I was 18 - and his autobiography as told to Alex Haley was the only book I took. I probably read it twenty odd times.

There's a real English rose as a contestant an' all.

Unsullied.

A virgin for sure.

If I advanced - Death Metal from 1987 to 1992.

The Big Lebowski.

Edited by Youri McAnespie