Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Boiler replacement

MickyD

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

How much are the solar panels?

Knowing where to start is a help.

I put some info into one of these calculators for an idea, but something Miami posted a while back sticks- structural strength of the roof, and I wonder how many can go up there?

Wait for solar PV roof tiles to get cheaper. 

14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It depends where you get them from - it's not my Product Group here at work, but I can get he relevant PM to contact you and recommend somebody to look at it (who obviously will sell you our high quality products....possibly at a bit of a discount 😉)  -  if interested, just DM me your name, address and email address and I'll get some info to you

2 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

When I was doing roof surveys for solar panels (Greggs had a policy of putting  them on their factory roofs) we were given a weight of 12kg/m².

So unlikely to cause any structural issues, possibly a little long term creep of timber trusses perhaps. 

They are getting lighter now as well, we've got a range that are almost like a roll of wallpaper.....expensive mind, but ideal for factory roofs that don't have the structural integrity to support much weight

Edited by Sweep

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

They are getting lightner now as well, we've for a range that are almost like a roll of wallpaper.....expensive mind, but ideal for factory roofs that don't have the structural integrity to support much weight

Where do you work Sweepy?

5 minutes ago, Spider said:

Where do you work Sweepy?

I work for an Electronics company, but we've just moved into the whole Storage Solutions market, a natural progression from the battery business that we've been doing for years

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

It took around 3 weeks for my paperwork to be sorted, and for me to start getting paid for feeding back in

The set up you've got sounds ideal, you've got plenty enough battery storage there for a 2 bed Bungalow I'd have thought. Are you on the agile tariff from Octopus, because that would improve things even more for you, especially during the times when they pay you to take electricity (as well as being able to top the storage up at night, when the sun doesn't do enough)

I'm on a standard tariff until my meter is sorted, I'll be going on Agile mid October then swapping back to Flux in March,that's what most are doing in the same situation as me

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I put some info into one of these calculators for an idea, but something Miami posted a while back sticks- structural strength of the roof, and I wonder how many can go up there?

My package was £10,900 all fitted, they did all the paperwork, sorted with North West Electricity the lot, building regs and MCS Certificate.

4 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

My package was £10,900 all fitted, they did all the paperwork, sorted with North West Electricity the lot, building regs and MCS Certificate.

That's excellent pricing for what you've got, it really is - the cost of the storage would be almost half of that, never mind anything else

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Still a fair chunk up front, even if savings follow.

Will be waiting until mortgage rates come back down to free up some monthly cash. 

Aye, it's a considered purchase. If you're not planning on moving, and you've got the cash, then it's worth it (depending what you get) - it's certainly not worth, at todays rates, getting a loan for them though.

You also have to know what you want/need - my mate had some bloke round who quoted for a system, which just wasn't appropriate for the house - too many panels, and not enough storage. His sums with regards to payback were massively wrong as well. Sadly, a lot of people will get ripped off, especially with companies taking deposits and then going bust (as BB mentioned above) it's a real industry problem at the minute. There are also some poor quality panels, batteries and inverters out there, which again will end up causing problems as they degrade over time, which of course they will.

They're not going to be worth it for everybody. Anybody with an EV, it's certainly worth it I'd say......as things stand today.

One things for sure, Electricity isn't going to get cheaper over the coming years, the price will go down short term, as we all know but longer term it will creep back up as all these Solar and Wind farms and Nuclear Power Plants need paying for some how, and we're going to need a whole lot more of them if we're to keep increasing our electricity usage

• Site Supporter

One problem is , as always, disreputable operators.

3-4 years from now, the PPI adverts will be replaced with “we’re you mis-sold a heatpump”

Because some people already are being,

The renewable production costs are lower at the moment, and as technology improves, they will become more efficient still.

Of course investment is still required, and that will need paying for, but long term I do believe that (inflation stripped out) prices will drop. 

Long term they probably will do, the people we speak to reckon that could be upwards of 30/40/50 years, especially as we potentially move towards a full EV based infrastructure. Anything beyond 30 years, I'm not really concerned one way or another if prices go up or down, as I'll most likely be dead.

For the next couple of decades, the general trajectory of pricing will increase. What is the fucker though, is that a lot of the increases will probably go on the "standing charge" which you still have to pay, even if you're generating and storing your own juice.

I was advised by a wind turbine company, albeit this was about 18 months ago, that one of them whopping offshore wind turbines, can potentially take up to 20 years to pay for itself....the on-shore ones, can actually pay for themselves within a couple of years though.

8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Long term they probably.

I was advised by a wind turbine company, albeit this was about 18 months ago, that one of them whopping offshore wind turbines, can potentially take up to 20 years to pay for itself....the on-shore ones, can actually pay for themselves within a couple of years though.

Putting wind turbines in the sea, I bet that's a tidy wage 

6 minutes ago, Breightmet Boy said:

it needs to be, imagine in the North Sea, during the winter months, clambering in and out of those things just for general maintenance, never mind the initial install and commissioning

• Site Supporter

Standing charges are a weird one.

If they're too pay for the meter, then why isn't the price of the thing split over a given number of years at a fixed amount? Beyond that, they make profit.

https://www.energylivenews.com/2023/07/17/uk-wind-trumps-gas-and-nuclear-power/

Some interesting figures here.

5 hours ago, Breightmet Boy said:

Mate has been in 750/day for years as the electrical SAP switching new ones onto grid. Read a shedload of books as not frantic work just signing off tests.

Lives North Devon so made up that they’ve given permission for the new array by Lundy Island using floating turbines.

Saw a lass on the telly working on turbines in the sea.

Some buggers at the top of the tower, not for me.

There was a lad used to come in my gym that worked on em for Siemens.

Hed go out on a little boat and camp out in a little pod at the top of one for days at a time fiddling about with wires.

He was fuckin nuts.

Edited by gonzo

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

We sent a guy to one for a couple of days to commission a mobile network for the guys on the control points for a massive field of them in the North Sea. The training he had to take for offshore took longer than the actual time doing the job.

Surely all training takes longer than it does to do a job? If someone went on a 4 week plumbing course, I wouldn't expect it to take them 4 weeks to fit a radiator.