Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trains...

Traf

• Moderators

Absolutely no joined up thinking.

The biggest nonsense is no one really checking Metrolink tickets. Too easy to jib as you get off if you spot them.

Fucking loads of people at Victoria ensuring you have to have a ticket.

What's all that about?

7 minutes ago, Carlos said:

Absolutely no joined up thinking.

The biggest nonsense is no one really checking Metrolink tickets. Too easy to jib as you get off if you spot them.

Fucking loads of people at Victoria ensuring you have to have a ticket.

What's all that about?

Now and again they check en mass block all exits even have cops on platforms

but it’s not often enough 

At my station I can't use contactless so its either buying a ticket or using the Thameslink keycard

I have a keycard, which is essentially contactless and linked to your bank card to take payment

They emailed me saying I'd cancelled my keycard even though I hadn't. I need it for work and never had any problem with payment

But they cant re-activate it as I cancelled it and so I can't get a new card as my account is suspended

When it did work, I can't use it at Cambridge, I have to pre-load the ticket onto the card, all the stops on the way to Cambridge are fine but Cambridge itself nope

Loads of signs at my station saying can't use contactless or oyster card but nothing about not using it if you're going to Cambridge

Went for footy last season, couldn't get through the barrier and was accused of being a fare dodger 

It took a long explanation of I travelled in good faith, If I really wanted to I could have pushed in behind someone or jumped the barriers etc

Oddly, if you travel at peak times they never have anyone checking tickets, but get on at about 10am, always checked when there's about 5 people onboard.

As there's no barriers I suppose I could get on here, get off at Brixton, and just tap in on the tube. Although given its only two zones difference, doesn't seem to make a difference. And it's capped for a day travel, and anyway I recharge all commuting back to my company expenses anyway.

3 hours ago, freds dad said:

I use the Trainline App from Macclesfield to Horwich Parkway and although I buy a ticket every time I’ve never been checked and there aren’t any barriers at the start and end points.

If I was unscrupulous I would request a refund every time. 😉

Buy through a rail operator app (doesn’t matter which one) and you’ll save a few quid in fees

• Site Supporter
19 hours ago, Zico said:

Issue I had was when I caught trains from Piccadilly after work to the other halfs years ago was 

- ticket office too busy to queue buy and catch train 

,- ticket machine doesn't actually sell  cheap evening return tickets 

- the guard at the platform let me on without ticket and told me to get one on train 

- I didn't see the conductor on the train 

Then at the other end two guards checking tickets told me I should have bought one and gave me a fine 

Took a few appeals but finally got the fine over turned 

They've got the act together a lot better these days with more ticket barriers and guards manning them 

But they still need to make it as easy as possible to buy a ticket or let you buy one at your destination and not instantly want to do fine anyone without a ticket

Don’t use trains hardly ever , when I do I get a ticket as it’s usually long distance / planned ahead, but, I have heard others with same story like yours from a few . 
how do they enforce giving you that fine ? Pretty sure I wouldn’t give my name / address to any train staff in that situation, would  they then call the transport police ? What’s to stop me giving a false name and address ? 

I have the misfortune to need to go back and forth between Fylde Coast and Manchester 2-3 times a week. Use Northern app, works ok, though mostly as an easy way to process Delay Repay claims for the umpteen times they are miles late. 

As a service, if you are a regular traveller, it's hopelessly unreliable at best, the strikes / work to rule only exacerbating the issue

On the ticket office closures, to be fair to Northern they aren't intending to close them all, a list of those staying open is on their website. Avanti, who operate most of the bigger ones, are the worst culprits, intending to shut them all