Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Japan

They're not having a great New Year are they? 

But just looking at this plane on fire on the runway - apparently having collided with another plane on landing.

Was expecting to read that everyone had been killed - but they managed to get all 379 people off the plane safely. 

Amazing work from the flight and ground crew! 👏👏👏

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, kent_white said:

Now reading 5 of the crew are unaccounted for! 😔

They are crew from the smaller coast guard plane apparently. The captain of that small has survived though. 

Definite film of the future this. Bit like "Sully", but hopefully without quite as much artistic licence. 

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They are crew from the smaller coast guard plane apparently. The captain of that small has survived though. 

Definite film of the future this. Bit like "Sully", but hopefully without quite as much artistic licence. 

Ah I see! Apparently the airline of the passenger plane is a world leader in safety. Which might help explain how they managed to save so many lives! Accidents can happen, but how they responded to it sounds magnificent....

16 minutes ago, Spider said:

I know they’re well trained, but even so, getting everyone off there is pretty amazing.

Helps that they’re all ickle people

They could see how wide the flames spread for - but not how high they were. Alleviating some of the panic! 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, little whitt said:

I always book Extra Legroom seats A16/17 over the wing Fire Exit 

Little Whitt     first out 

Then your Woman and Childen 

Every seat is relatively extra legroom isn’t it?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Qantas never crashed

First flew with them not long after 9/11

20 minutes into the flight, massive chant of Allah O Ahkbar from the back of the plane.

Me and my mate shit our pants, then said “let’s fuck em up” (but didn’t move a muscle)

Turns out it was prayer time and a couple of brothers were saying the Lord’s Prayer at top note.

They fucking knew what they were doing

12 hours ago, Spider said:

First flew with them not long after 9/11

20 minutes into the flight, massive chant of Allah O Ahkbar from the back of the plane.

Me and my mate shit our pants, then said “let’s fuck em up” (but didn’t move a muscle)

Turns out it was prayer time and a couple of brothers were saying the Lord’s Prayer at top note.

They fucking knew what they were doing

Geert Wilders will put a stop to this

22 hours ago, kent_white said:

Ah I see! Apparently the airline of the passenger plane is a world leader in safety. Which might help explain how they managed to save so many lives! Accidents can happen, but how they responded to it sounds magnificent....

Reading that the passengers also behaved impeccably and not one tried to get any cabin bags. Makes me wonder if it would have been the same over here. Id like to think common sense would always kick in under circumstances like that. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, London Wanderer said:

Reading that the passengers also behaved impeccably and not one tried to get any cabin bags. Makes me wonder if it would have been the same over here. Id like to think common sense would always kick in under circumstances like that. 

I got an easyJet back from Alicante recently and can assure you that half the plane wouldn’t have gone anywhere without their sleeves of Rothmans

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

I got an easyJet back from Alicante recently and can assure you that half the plane wouldn’t have gone anywhere without their sleeves of Rothmans

This is what worries me

You’d end up smashing them up to get past them. Which would likely just cause more carnage.

18 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I expect it would just be a free for all over here and people would get trampled......

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I expect it would just be a free for all over here and people would get trampled......

I think it would depend upon the severity of the situation. 

The brief clip shows smoke in the cabin, but still with a reasonable level of vision. 

Doors open and shutes deployed quickly and professional staff will give confidence.

Had flames been barrelling down the aisles it may have looked differently.

23 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think it would depend upon the severity of the situation. 

The brief clip shows smoke in the cabin, but still with a reasonable level of vision. 

Doors open and shutes deployed quickly and professional staff will give confidence.

Had flames been barrelling down the aisles it may have looked differently.

I'm not sure how anyone could keep their cool if it was the latter! I think survival instinct would just kick in. Having said that - I also reckon the Japs would be more disciplined and would rather burn alive than suffer the shame of pushing past someone! 

There's my racial stereotypes kicking in! 😁

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, kent_white said:

I'm not sure how anyone could keep their cool if it was the latter! I think survival instinct would just kick in. Having said that - I also reckon the Japs would be more disciplined and would rather burn alive than suffer the shame of pushing past someone! 

There's my racial stereotypes kicking in! 😁

Ooo, you are awful 🤣

I wonder how many escape doors there are on that plane, and how many were usable at the time?

Anyway, looking at the wreckage this morning, and the tyres on the wheels didn't seem to have (completely) burned away. Wonder what they're made of to withstand that!