Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Luton Town (H)

Big E

• Members
2 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=12Z3_eii5V2GdH4EXvcImwghZnDc&hl=en_US&ll=53.58269928418374%2C-2.431375078755893&z=12

Lost pubs of Bolton.

Feast yourself.

The map can be opened up & tap on any blue marker 

Cheers mate. Not finding the one I was on about but at least the Eagle And Vulcan is on there!

Thought it might have been 'A' not 'E' and wondered about Ambassador but no luck. If I could get the name of that crescent it would be a big help. Wonder if Empire or Ambassador might have been the name of the street now. I'll have a good delve anyway.

Must have my wires crossed and it was the British Queen. Right location and might explain me having the word 'Empire' in my head. Alternatively, I might just be subconsciously submitting to my imperial tendencies ;)

Edited by bolty58

18 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Cheers mate. Not finding the one I was on about but at least the Eagle And Vulcan is on there!

Thought it might have been 'A' not 'E' and wondered about Ambassador but no luck. If I could get the name of that crescent it would be a big help. Wonder if Empire or Ambassador might have been the name of the street now. I'll have a good delve anyway.

Must have my wires crossed and it was the British Queen. Right location and might explain me having the word 'Empire' in my head. Alternatively, I might just be subconsciously submitting to my imperial tendencies ;)

https://images.app.goo.gl/MXfHmJrn3P6y5Ugm8

https://images.app.goo.gl/bRWsr4dgSxsd3aTW7

Try Ormerod St. or Soho St. (which went roundTrinity Church to the Catholic Club).

We'll have to get a room soon at this rate.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Possibly mate. It will be in the northern hemisphere winter if I can make it. I'll let you know on the quiet. Too many trolls on here these days.

Yes, she sent me the photo and asked me if I know who that was! I mustn't have regaled her with our 'Hull City in the Lever End' story ;)

She would not have been asking that question if I had done so :D

👍😂👍      ☺️

• Members

As a point of interest, some will know that on the side of the road where the Railway Hotel is, there was a cover over the footpath for almost the full length of the street which provided shelter for bus users waiting for the long line of buses to arrive at what was the main bus station after Moor Lane. The footbridge to Great Moor Street (over the railway) started under that canopy.

Many memories both good and bad of that stretch but, from a BWFC point of view, me and my brother (known to some on here) singing "We just hammered Liverpool, doo-dah, doo-dah" from the upper deck of the no. 45 bus at despondent hub cap thieves returning downcast to Trinity Street station after a famous 3-2 cup victory. Cue a shower of empty milk bottles from conveniently stacked crates of them out the front of the station! They have always been a most sporting set of fine fellows :rolleyes2: My brother was 10 at the time.

The Lever End had been singing that song for a good 10 minutes after the end of the game. I think we were singing it for a month!

23 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Was there a fishing tackle shop along there somewhere? And i think the 75 to Horwich started along that bit of rd too🤔

Fishing Tackle shop was on Newport St where the bus interchange is now, opposite side of the road to the Clifton, but slightly further up.

Sure it was slightly misnamed as Great Lever tackle shop.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Fishing Tackle shop was on Newport St where the bus interchange is now, opposite side of the road to the Clifton, but slightly further up.

Sure it was slightly misnamed as Great Lever tackle shop.

And run by a bloke who was my boss in the fire brigade. Harry Holt.

I think it was the Burnden Tackle shop definitely misnamed. I used to get all my fishing gear there. Wasn’t there also a weird shop called Openshaw’s? it had “surgical” appliances and things in the window….they looked very odd to me a mere lad of ten or eleven. WTF were they about. 🤷‍♂️

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Gravel rash said:

I think it was the Burnden Tackle shop definitely misnamed. I used to get all my fishing gear there. Wasn’t there also a weird shop called Openshaw’s? it had “surgical” appliances and things in the window….they looked very odd to me a mere lad of ten or eleven. WTF were they about. 🤷‍♂️

I remember a surgical appliance shop in the little side street going down to Ancient Shepherd. Bold Street.

2 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Was there a fishing tackle shop along there somewhere? And i think the 75 to Horwich started along that bit of rd too🤔

That little stretch coverdale the Horwich CNR bound 33 & 35, later to become 573 & 575. The Halliwell & Astley Bridge buses & a few more. It was an odd stretch with 2 scary pubs on the opposite side The Brunswick (?) & The York. Before the bus stops was a bizarre medical supplies shop with a window display showing trusses, support corsets & formidable mains 'all body massagers' which were clearly early days vibrators. Strange things to a 12 Yr old schoolboy.

The very place, some of the “appliances” were huge black rubber knob shaped things with like a brown rubber ball on the end, a bit like that balloon thing on the end of joke hooters. They obviously scarred my brain I’m retired now and they still bother me. What in Gods name could they have been? 🤓🙂

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

That little stretch coverdale the Horwich CNR bound 33 & 35, later to become 573 & 575. The Halliwell & Astley Bridge buses & a few more. It was an odd stretch with 2 scary pubs on the opposite side The Brunswick (?) & The York. Before the bus stops was a bizarre medical supplies shop with a window display showing trusses, support corsets & formidable mains 'all body massagers' which were clearly early days vibrators. Strange things to a 12 Yr old schoolboy.

The Clifton & The York......The Clifton is now a post office replacing the PO that was on the other side of Newport St where the new bus station is now.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Gravel rash said:

The very place, some of the “appliances” were huge black rubber knob shaped things with like a brown rubber ball on the end, a bit like that balloon thing on the end of joke hooters. They obviously scarred my brain I’m retired now and they still bother me. What in Gods name could they have been? 🤓🙂

Pre-cursor to the fistmaster.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, bolton va va said:

The Clifton & The York......The Clifton is now a post office replacing the PO that was on the other side of Newport St where the new bus station is now.

the york

the worst pool room in the whole wide world

shitter table than that octagonal one in space city

5 hours ago, MickyD said:

I remember a surgical appliance shop in the little side street going down to Ancient Shepherd. Bold Street.

I remember that shop as well, they were deffo vibrators, I'm racking my brains here but I'm sure they were called "non doctor" or something like that.

Boydells toy shop was round the corner.

25 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

I remember that shop as well, they were deffo vibrators, I'm racking my brains here but I'm sure they were called "non doctor".

Non-Doctor, that was the rascal.

To perform 'pelvic massage to help with women's hysteria'.

I've known a few hysterical women in my time bit that shop was weird for a young schoolboy catching his bus home.

• Members
8 hours ago, Gravel rash said:

Same! Trusses and 'surgical supports'. All very strange tackle for grown ups, What do they get up to in private? :D

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Boydells toy shop was round the corner.

Boydell’s was actually on both streets. It was built as an L shape with another business on the corner.