Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Luton Town (H)

Big E

1 hour ago, burnden said:

I bet that's the FA Cup game when they appeared on the Lever End last minute with plenty wearing war paint.

Wonder if there's any pictures of them after the game with more black eyes than a travellers' wedding.

• Site Supporter
22 hours ago, bolton va va said:

I bet that's the FA Cup game when they appeared on the Lever End last minute with plenty wearing war paint.

Wonder if there's any pictures of them after the game with more black eyes than a travellers' wedding.

I was speaking to one of their old lads in their pub at Luton the other week.

He was with them and said that the lads in clockwork orange gear weren’t even Luton fans, they were from Bedford but came for a day out.

He also said that he ended up in the other end (embankment) after coming in the Lever End at first. 😉

Edited by Steejay

Don’t think anyone’s 

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned this yet, but they didn’t arrive in Bolton until about 3.20 pm because their football special was delayed (train delays happened in the olden days too). All the Bolton fans were engrossed in the game when all hell broke loose (they’d sneaked in the Lever End undetected, mobbed up and then piled in!) They enjoyed a little success too….they showed a lot of bottle. The Bolton lads then got organised, hard uns to the front, made a few attempts at getting through the police, then succeeded. Luton scattered and many of them spent the rest of the game trying to get war paint off their faces before they got picked off….many failed.

Well if that pic is a struggle for you, try zooming in and there is a pub on the right opposite the station, its definitely one for th'owd uns, i very much doubt anyone on here would have been old enough to have ever drank in there but some might remember it being there.

I don't btw.

• Members
21 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Tear to my eye mate. The days of no CCTV or overbearing police presence and a guaranteed maximum adrenaline hit.

That lot weren't as 'strident' heading back up Manny Road :D

On closer inspection, that mon at the front might have been their general who was controlling his 'troops'. The one in the crombie, staprest and royals who tried to escape after the game by jumping through a black cab in the traffic jam on Manny Road (just about where the Orlando Street footbridge comes down) and running up those cobbled streets adjacent to the old cinder away coaches car park. He would not have strode anywhere after what happened to him but he left a mark as far as I am concerned.

Edited by bolty58

• Members
14 minutes ago, Whitestar said:

Well if that pic is a struggle for you, try zooming in and there is a pub on the right opposite the station, its definitely one for th'owd uns, i very much doubt anyone on here would have been old enough to have ever drank in there but some might remember it being there.

I don't btw.

Tha'd be wrong me owd cocker. I reckon there's a fair chance 4 or 5 of us on here would have had a pint in the Railway.

Just made that my screensaver BTW. I've had a multicoloured pic of the Town Hall for a while now but the rainbow colours twist my melon. 

Edited by bolty58

• Members
13 hours ago, Gravel rash said:

Don’t think anyone’s 

Don’t think anyone’s mentioned this yet, but they didn’t arrive in Bolton until about 3.20 pm because their football special was delayed (train delays happened in the olden days too). All the Bolton fans were engrossed in the game when all hell broke loose (they’d sneaked in the Lever End undetected, mobbed up and then piled in!) They enjoyed a little success too….they showed a lot of bottle. The Bolton lads then got organised, hard uns to the front, made a few attempts at getting through the police, then succeeded. Luton scattered and many of them spent the rest of the game trying to get war paint off their faces before they got picked off….many failed.

I think you can see the correct time on the church clock M. The station clock was obviously knackered.

6 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I think you can see the correct time on the church clock M. The station clock was obviously knackered.

Cheers P! Hope you’re good mate, any plans to visit Blighty soon. Met up with Janet over here the other week 👍😀

• Members
36 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

https://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.com/2014/11/railway-hotel-corner-of-trinity-street.html?m=1

Hope this is of interest.

I never used the Railway Hotel pub but passed it often enough.

Got the juices flowing that mate. My old man was a bit of a pub gambler (dommies, crib, 3 card brag etc.). The main palace of Mammon was the Eagle and Vulcan on Folds Road but, if you look at the second bottom photo in that article (with the articulated lorry passing the church), to the left there was a sort of crescent which had a pub in it which I am sure began with an 'E' (might have been Empire Hotel? Can't quite recall). That was regarded as the second biggest gambling pub in Bolton in the late 50's and 60's. The interlopers from Manchester, Blackburn, Bury etc. used to come along and try their luck in there. Not generally brave enough to risk the Eagle And Vulcan!

Apologies for digressing from the Hatters!

• Members
1 hour ago, Gravel rash said:

Cheers P! Hope you’re good mate, any plans to visit Blighty soon. Met up with Janet over here the other week 👍😀

Possibly mate. It will be in the northern hemisphere winter if I can make it. I'll let you know on the quiet. Too many trolls on here these days.

Yes, she sent me the photo and asked me if I know who that was! I mustn't have regaled her with our 'Hull City in the Lever End' story ;)

She would not have been asking that question if I had done so :D

Remember early 80s Luton bringing some some lads up in a hire van and deciding to have a go on Manny rd , total suprise and to he honest we were SO unorganised around that time it wouldn't have mattered. Dunno if they were trying to get a name for themselves around this time but around 86 went working in London and got chatting to a Millwall lad, asked if he was at that game " course i was mate, most firms in Landan was there".

So i ask how come?

Is words not mine "coz they had it coming mate, they a bunch of p***kis, they talk like farmers and they think they're fac*in Cockneys".