Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (H)

L/H White

10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s probably same reason for Kieran Lee as Maghoma, both were bang average in many games, both had many games where they had little influence and game passed them by, if the likes of Maghoma and Lee don’t have possession of the ball they do not contribute enough to the team effort and it’s like playing with 9 outfield players. FWIW Maghoma is now beginning to improve his off the ball stuff. 

It’s one thing discussing Maghoma, but fucking hell Mounts, Kieran Lee was amazing off the ball - to the point that Evatt actually called him out in the press for being so good at pressing and hoping the others would learn from him!

“His game intelligence of when to press, how to press and how aggressively to press is fantastic. Just the way he glides and drifts into space throughout the game is so intelligent“

35 minutes ago, Eddie said:

It’s one thing discussing Maghoma, but fucking hell Mounts, Kieran Lee was amazing off the ball - to the point that Evatt actually called him out in the press for being so good at pressing and hoping the others would learn from him!

“His game intelligence of when to press, how to press and how aggressively to press is fantastic. Just the way he glides and drifts into space throughout the game is so intelligent“

I was probably harsh on Lee when he first arrived as he’d been out long term injury, I’d conceded by the end he was playing superbly, he improved season after season perhaps as his return to fitness and confidence grew, I do remember early part of his career with us some games did pass him by, in his last season he was immense… let’s hope PM continues to makes the same improvements. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

4 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I was probably harsh on Lee when he first arrived as he’d been out long term injury, I’d conceded by the end he was playing superbly, he improved season after season perhaps as his return to fitness and confidence grew, I do remember early part of his career with us some games did pass him by, in his last season he was immense… let’s hope PM continues to makes the same improvements. 

Tough love :D

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomski said:

Maghoma is better than Kieron Lee in a BWFC shirt. I liked Lee so no gripe, more that an acknowledgement Maghoma is good 

I think we saw Lee in his fading years; didn't have the legs of a young Maghoma, but his ability to press and find space was a lesson to any young midfielder.

15 hours ago, Eddie said:

Keiran Lee.

If he was THAT good get him coaching others.

Is he now back on Oldham's books ?

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I wondered if he'd end up coaching here, but maybe he doesn't fancy it.

I think the sticking point might be having to speak 😀

Joking aside, you could be a combo of Messi and Bergsson, but if you aren't a naturual teacher/coach, you can't tell others how to do it.  And looking at Kieron Lee's game, you could tell it was instinct/natural feel for reading the game, its not like the equivalent of Beckham teaching someone how to cross or take a free kick, or Kane on taking pens.

Anyway it was a privilege to watch his last few years, good luck to him whatever he does.