Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Australia

8 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

Yep. Bondi is overrated but the most famous. The ferry ride to Manly when it’s rough is interesting.😊

Can imagine. Was dead jealous of the folk commuting on a ferry. Beat my schlep down the M56 that’s for sure. 

• Members
6 hours ago, Zico said:

Aye Brisbane 

Am 47 in June 

Other half is 43 this year

Her dad is Chinese but been here for over 40 years

He knows immigration agents etc

Been to Sydney and thought it was ok but nowt special 

After 1 day in Brisbane I was ready to move here

Not sure I could handle their summers though, if this is autumn 

I've lost count of the people I know here in Perth who went to Brisbane first and could not handle the humidity. Keep this in mind. I have a welcome mat ;)

This is the best place in the country by a long way from whichever angle you choose to view.

• Members
1 hour ago, frank_spencer said:

The city's are much like that my brother doesn't have a car these days just hires one (or get his work to) when he's going further afield. That said he lives in Sydney so everything is on his doorstep.

My mate who's a copper in Perth often whinges there's nothing going on but he's miserable bugger. Perhaps he needs to get himself a ride on Hairdryer and join Boltys old man Quadrophenia recreation club.

Has had the title of "Dullsville" for a while now. Don't see it. If you like the great outdoors it is phenomenal.

I will ask the current 28 year old President of the club if we would accept miserable rozzers. I suspect that the man from Del Monte would say 'yes'.

• Members
2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Maybe it's just me, but I like being able to walk to a shop, pub, post office, etc.

Sounds a bit like the US, nice for a holiday but not for me.

Phew!

11 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Has had the title of "Dullsville" for a while now. Don't see it. If you like the great outdoors it is phenomenal.

I will ask the current 28 year old President of the club if we would accept miserable rozzers. I suspect that the man from Del Monte would say 'yes'.

He settled in Perth as that's where his then girlfriend was from, stayed there as that's where he was working. Keeps threatening to come home dunno why you would

38 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

I've lost count of the people I know here in Perth who went to Brisbane first and could not handle the humidity. Keep this in mind. I have a welcome mat ;)

This is the best place in the country by a long way from whichever angle you choose to view.

Apart from you living there😁

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Anyroad, I’m going to finish my working days here and retire there.

Wanderers better still be shit if I do

Don’t forget to spend your final days telling the folks you left behind to keep the country locked in a 1950’s idyllic stasis

17 minutes ago, Spider said:

Don’t forget to spend your final days telling the folks you left behind to keep the country locked in a 1950’s idyllic stasis

Absolutely. I’ll be talking about village greens, the sound of willow on leather, Spitfires, rickets, polio, measles and child chimney sweeps. 

Edited by mickbrown

• Members
7 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

He settled in Perth as that's where his then girlfriend was from, stayed there as that's where he was working. Keeps threatening to come home dunno why you would

I know a lad from Oldham down here. Alan G. Four fucking times they went backwards and forwards because the other half missed mother and sisters. Eventually settled in a place called Australind (last time I heard of him). Kids all done great, own homes at relatively young ages, good careers etc.

Talk him out of it mate. He'll be as sick as a sea going goose after four weeks back there.

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Always amused to see the stooges steaming in even though I have them on ignore. No doubt the green eyed monster playing a big part.

Sad sacks.

I’m soooo jealous of a chubby, short OAP. 

See, I can't really comment on moving there as I've never been but the idea of even visiting Australia isn't appealing to either my or the mrs - don't know why, just never has. As for living there, I miss my family anyway and I'm only 250 miles away, the thought of being on the other side of the world and my folks missing out on a lot of their grandchildren's lives doesn't really hold much appeal.

I know people who have done it and love it, others have moved back once they started families - or the other way round if they met someone from Australia over here.

I also know some Aussie's who moved over here through work and you wouldn't get them back to Australia if you tried.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Sweep said:

there's just been another mass stabbing over there hasn't there, in a church this time. Grim

Mass stabbing in a church.

I see what you did there…

10 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I know people who have done it and love it, others have moved back once they started families - or the other way round if they met someone from Australia over here.

I also know some Aussie's who moved over here through work and you wouldn't get them back to Australia if you tried.

Rightly or wrongly think most Aussies (in Australia) think their country the greatest in the world.

My brother was seconded to work in Melbourne for one of the banks. They asked him about the recruitment process and it was basically "who wants to work in Melbourne for 3 months" question to all. They seem to be taken aback that the best weren't targeted alone and told to go.  

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

See, I can't really comment on moving there as I've never been but the idea of even visiting Australia isn't appealing to either my or the mrs - don't know why, just never has. As for living there, I miss my family anyway and I'm only 250 miles away, the thought of being on the other side of the world and my folks missing out on a lot of their grandchildren's lives doesn't really hold much appeal.

It's like the travelling thing really 

Young folk over here can't wait to go travelling and live in Australia 

Over there they can't wait to get England 

I never had the urge to go backpacking 

I get the impression life over here is easy going and it's not difficult to do well and succeed if you have the skills to do so

At this point in my life that sounds like a great opportunity to mix it up a bit and try something different whilst I'm relatively young and under 50

Life in the UK is decent enough for me but in general the weather is shite and society is fractured

A better quality of life probably awaits my kids here

And as soon as they can they'll probably be off back to the UK to live in a shared house of 20 in Acton 

3 hours ago, Zico said:

It's like the travelling thing really 

Young folk over here can't wait to go travelling and live in Australia 

Over there they can't wait to get England 

I never had the urge to go backpacking 

I get the impression life over here is easy going and it's not difficult to do well and succeed if you have the skills to do so

At this point in my life that sounds like a great opportunity to mix it up a bit and try something different whilst I'm relatively young and under 50

Life in the UK is decent enough for me but in general the weather is shite and society is fractured

A better quality of life probably awaits my kids here

And as soon as they can they'll probably be off back to the UK to live in a shared house of 20 in Acton 

Bit dramatic. 

I'm not talking about kids travelling though, I'm talking about folks in their 40s who have built a life over here through work, not backpacking, who wouldn't go back to Australia - or people married and looking to start a family.

As I say, I think there might be an element of the grass is always greener, both ways. But ultimately for me, it'd feel a bit too flung to the far reaches of the world, with a climate that I'd mostly not like and too far away from family and friends.

• Site Supporter

Some traitorous, cowardly talk on this thread.

You cannot defend Mother England from its enemies by sitting 30,000 miles away scooping kangaroo shit off your driveway.

Go if you want to. But those of us still fighting won’t forget the deserters. 

20 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Bit dramatic. 

I'm not talking about kids travelling though, I'm talking about folks in their 40s who have built a life over here through work, not backpacking, who wouldn't go back to Australia - or people married and looking to start a family.

As I say, I think there might be an element of the grass is always greener, both ways. But ultimately for me, it'd feel a bit too flung to the far reaches of the world, with a climate that I'd mostly not like and too far away from family and friends.

Pretty sure you'd like Melbourne NIC. As for the rest nah. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Pretty sure you'd like Melbourne NIC. As for the rest nah. 

Know a couple of people who moved there and it sounds pretty much perfect.

You have to choose an AFL team apparently or they don’t let you live there though.

• Moderators
42 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Bit dramatic

Not if the polarised engagement on here is anything to by 

I hadn't even thought about it till coming here but it seems like it's worth a punt 

And if we don't like it, we'd come back, nothing to lose 

It might even not happen yet 

In the mean time 

Cheers 

PXL_20240416_063952937.MP~2.jpg