Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Long Time No Visit...

Hello there.

Havent been on here for a while.

Hope everyone is well?

You will be pleased to hear I have now grown up and am not a silly little boy.

But I still expect the piss-taking so... :pardon:

Anyway. I saw this question on another forum. See if any of you lot can do it :)

So, you are on a train. The train is travelling north at a velocity of 50mph.

You are in the first class carriage, in which there is an escalator moving in the opposite direction (south) moving at a velocityof 6mph. The escalator is angled at 45 degrees.

You, being the messer that you are, are running in the opposite direction on the escalator at a velocity of 8mph.

So, what direction are you moving, in relation to the ground, and at what velocity taking all factors into account?

Answers after I have been training :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

Another one:

If the coefficient of friction of willow is x and the coefficient of friction of rubber is y what is the coefficient of friction of the lubricant required to place a rubber sleeve over a cricket bat handle?

Another one:

If the coefficient of friction of willow is x and the coefficient of friction of rubber is y what is the coefficient of friction of the lubricant required to place a rubber sleeve over a cricket bat handle?

:rofl:

Long time no visit for me too

WTF has been going on?

Train at 50mph?? Can we stick to questions pertinent to the real world please.

eg

You've had to get off the train at Northampton due to engineering works at Rugby. The bus to take you onwards to Birmingham is due in 30 minutes, but is reported to be 15 minutes late thanks to the flooding. Assuming the station buffet is a 5 minutes round trip away, how many cans of Stella should you get for the journey to Brum given that the maximum speed of the bus is limited to 50mph, the journey is 80 miles, the diver isn't sure of the best route, and the bogs are closed at the station.

Another one:

Like it.

Hello there.

Havent been on here for a while.

Hope everyone is well?

You will be pleased to hear I have now grown up and am not a silly little boy.

But I still expect the piss-taking so... :pardon:

Anyway. I saw this question on another forum. See if any of you lot can do it :)

You are in the first class carriage, in which there is an escalator moving in the opposite direction (south) moving at a velocityof 6mph. The escalator is angled at 45 degrees.

You, being the messer that you are, are running in the opposite direction on the escalator at a velocity of 8mph.

So, what direction are you moving, in relation to the ground, and at what velocity taking all factors into account?

Answers after I have been training :)

If the train is passing through Wigan North Western, the answer is 22/7

If you want a serious answer Rich, you're wasting your time.

Work it out for yourself, using this as a clue.

If you're on a train travelling 100mph and you jump up in the air, why do you still land on the same spot?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.