Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Eb 'n' Elma Love-in

Burndens Bogs

I think they both played in (and won) a UEFA Cup final for Feyenord as well.

Smolarek scored 12 goals in 68 games at Feyenoord and missed the UEFA final due to suspension for a positive cannabis test.

Elmander scored just 3 goals in 39 games at Feyenoord, so if they did play together: I'd hardly say they were prolific.

However, their international records are much better.

Smolarek: 13 in 34 for Poland

Elmander: 11 in 38 for Sweden.

If they got 24 together here, i'd be more than happy.

Well call me a stupid sentimental old fool but I think it will do my heart good to see them both play up front together for Bolton Wanderers wearing the #9 and #10 shirts!

If they can strike up a good old fashioned partnership wearing the proper numbers it will take me back to times of

(G)Jones/Whatmore [ granted they were 9 and 8 usually ]

Gowling/Worthington

Reeves/Philliskirk [ Bros! ]

Walker/McGinlay

On a separate [ but similar ] note I think the recent Man City developments and todays statement of intent to buy Ronaldo/Torres/Cesc ... well these events have gradually made me realise how happy I am to support a proper football club still. Furthermore I'm actually really rather glad we are relatively poor [ in both senses of the word ] at the moment.

I love Bolton Wanderers.

Come on you Whites!

Edited by Arnold Jackson

• Moderators
Well call me a stupid sentimental old fool but I think it will do my heart good to see them both play up front together for Bolton Wanderers wearing the #9 and #10 shirts!

If they can strike up a good old fashioned partnership wearing the proper numbers it will take me back to times of

(G)Jones/Whatmore [ granted they were 9 and 8 usually ]

Gowling/Worthington

Reeves/Philliskirk [ Bros! ]

Walker/McGinlay

On a separate [ but similar ] note I think the recent Man City developments and todays statement of intent to buy Ronaldo/Torres/Cesc ... well these events have gradually made me realise how happy I am to support a proper football club still. Furthermore I'm actually really rather glad we are relatively poor [ in both senses of the word ] at the moment.

I love Bolton Wanderers.

Come on you Whites!

did them two actually play together very often?

id have thowt byrom/jones and whatmore/taylor would be your memories

they are mine

and what about caldwell, oghani and chandler - all three getting 20 ish goals and us just stopping up

id have thowt byrom/jones and whatmore/taylor would be your memories

Well perhaps my memory plays tricks on me. Would have only been 8 or so back then [ 75-76 ish ] Think the first season I started going Byrom, Jones and Whatmore all played 7, 8 and 9 [ possibly a young Peter Reid 10 ] and remember Byrom was on his way out by then. Willie Morgan signed pretty soon after and he started getting number 7 shirt ont right wing wi Peter Thompson on Left... am pretty sure it was Whatmore/Jones partnership for a while then. Steve Taylor was probably a season or 2 after once Jones was on his way out.

Happy Days!

"Byrom was on his way out" ??????

put that fookin crack pipe down !!!!

You have forgotten how Bolton folk talk? And aren't you the one more likely to be on that stuff in LA ;)

JB had a fall out with manager Ian Greaves and left Wanderers in 1976, and, after one more season with Blackburn, he retired with a knee injury.

How else would you describe it? :)

It was actually Garry Jones... I remember the double 'R' cos my uncle named my cousin Garry [ with 2 R's after him :) ]

Wonder how many Johan's and Ebi's will be born in the next year or 2 :)

Lifelong Bolton season ticket holders Mr. and Mrs. Gum have just named their newborn son Ebi

...and Roy Greaves.

Most of it from the paddock! I'm sure they organised a hate club in there.

As for Gary Jones, he never kicked on from his hatrick against City in the league cup tie in 1971. Seemed to get injured a lot and became a bit part type of player, great on his day but not consistent.

Whatmore got the bird because of his constant misses. In the 75 -78 era the team carved out chances by the dozen but although Whatty scored many he also was guilty of missing shed loads, eventually after 2 heart breaks of missing out on promotion Ian Greaves saw the light a brought in a lethal stylish LONG HAIRED finisher in Frankie.

• Members
Most of it from the paddock! I'm sure they organised a hate club in there.

As for Gary Jones, he never kicked on from his hatrick against City in the league cup tie in 1971. Seemed to get injured a lot and became a bit part type of player, great on his day but not consistent.

Whatmore got the bird because of his constant misses. In the 75 -78 era the team carved out chances by the dozen but although Whatty scored many he also was guilty of missing shed loads, eventually after 2 heart breaks of missing out on promotion Ian Greaves saw the light a brought in a lethal stylish LONG HAIRED finisher in Frankie.

Never mind all that BGOE. An avatar without stockings and suspenders? You need to raise your game laddie ;)

mcginaly was finished when we arrived

whatmore never really got a chance

at least thats what my hazy memory tells me

Actually i think i've "dissed" Mr Whatmore by saying he couldn't hack the top flight,i was suprised to see that he made 40 appearances in the top flight in 79-80, and he scored 16 which is good considering we went down.Funny how the memory goes <_<

Altogether now - NEIL, NEIL WHATMORE (CLAP CLAP )=D>

Edited by Burndens Bogs

• Moderators

didn't remember him being that succesful

makes sense that hed have got some games though cos we sold frank a couple of games into the season we went down

season before he was more of a midfielder

didn't we then sell whatmore the night before following season started for 300k, to team up with frankie

whatmore scored one of the great goals

game v plymouth

running towards goal, he was, knew ball was catching him up and backheeled it over his and a defenders head

ran on, beat a couple more then put it past a couple on the line

god i wish there was film of some of those games/goals

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.