Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Town Centre

But Frank, it still looks shit. We, the taxpayer, were sold this monstrosilty as being "The Gateway to Bolton" and not a cheap bridge required under new legislation. If the council want to add spin, then folk are entitled to have an opinion on the bridge's aesthetics.

i agreed it looks a bit poo.

but needs must.

a bridge needed building a single arch was cheapest thats what we got, there was no asthetic descision to be made.

so those that decided to put it up were doing it through need more than choice.

nothing pisses me off more than people having a pop at stuff they don't know about.

epecially the bridge on newport street.

one moron even wanted to know why 'it was on that side of town' as he didn't think it was the right place??????

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agreed it looks a bit poo.

but needs must.

a bridge needed building a single arch was cheapest thats what we got, there was no asthetic descision to be made.

so those that decided to put it up were doing it through need more than choice.

nothing pisses me off more than people having a pop at stuff they don't know about.

epecially the bridge on newport street.

one moron even wanted to know why 'it was on that side of town' as he didn't think it was the right place??????

That's probably, as I said, because the council tried naming it "The Gateway to Bolton" and not explaining exactly what it is. Whoever does their PR wants shooting. We don't need bullshit, just the truth.

That's probably, as I said, because the council tried naming it "The Gateway to Bolton" and not explaining exactly what it is. Whoever does their PR wants shooting. We don't need bullshit, just the truth.

the council didn't try naming it anything that was the BEN.

they picked up on one sentence in the press release and kept using it.

that job proved to me how much the BEN change the info they're given to suit what they want.

all the facts were given to the press but the BEN prefered the 'gateway' angle

that job proved to me how much the BEN change the info they're given to suit what they want.

So I stand by my statement: Whoever does their PR wants shooting.

• Moderators

so they - the gary nevilles you keep defending - didn't call it the gateway?

The driving force behind the demise of town centre shopping was the opening of the Trafford Centre and Middlebrook.

Many store and shoppers alike moved on and went a bit more 'up market'.

Bolton town centre couldn't attract the folk who used to shop there a few years ago. It's all to appealing to jump on the train into Manchester City centre or drive to Trafford or up to Middlebrook.

It possibly is the car parking facilities and costs but on the whole it's the lack of investment, jobs etc.

I'd like to know how many people in Bolton are on benefits and not working. The kids of today don't want to work and the descend on the town centre as a place to meet. My old dear has complained albeit to me, that she fears going into the town to shop these days with kids on bikes wizzing past her, who could potentially steal her handbag and leg it.

It's a social thing and something that is not just hitting Bolton but many other towns up and down the country.

The driving force behind the demise of town centre shopping was the opening of the Trafford Centre and Middlebrook.

Bolton town centre couldn't attract the folk who used to shop there a few years ago. It's all to appealing to jump on the train into Manchester City centre or drive to Trafford or up to Middlebrook.

It possibly is the car parking facilities and costs but on the whole it's the lack of investment, jobs etc.

I'd like to know how many people in Bolton are on benefits and not working. The kids of today don't want to work and the descend on the town centre as a place to meet. My old dear has complained albeit to me, that she fears going into the town to shop these days with kids on bikes wizzing past her, who could potentially steal her handbag and leg it.

It's a social thing and something that is not just hitting Bolton but many other towns up and down the country.

well said that man.

Bury and Rochdale are just as bad, full of scrotes with fook all to do in their life bar knock about town.

as those with any sense and money know this they go to manchester/trafford centre, don't agree with middlebrook as there's feck alll there.

why?

if the BEN change it to suit their needs it doesn't really matter what gets sent out

A press statement should, in nature, not be open to intepretation, it should be clear, concise and unambigious. Whoever sent it made it so & if not, why was an apology not made in BEN for misleading an inaccurate reporting.

Ashton knew they couldn't compete and so went for a niche market. The farmers markets there are excellent. I do think Bolton didn't try. They have tried to be a cheap, local version of Manchester. I presume they don't have brainstorming sessions and the suchlike in the offices where these ideas are thought up. I'm sure a few on here could've given ideas.

• Moderators

frank, you live in bury, so you know youre posting shite

bury town centre grows while boltons goes to the dogs

maybe its folks from manc shopping there, coming into bury on the tram

then again, its more likely its the likes of my mum n dad whove turnd their backs on bolton and now shop in bury

frank, you live in bury, so you know youre posting shite

bury town centre grows while boltons goes to the dogs

maybe its folks from manc shopping there, coming into bury on the tram

then again, its more likely its the likes of my mum n dad whove turnd their backs on bolton and now shop in bury

really it doesn't, perhaps looking at it from afar gives it a more positive air

bar the market (which is 90% tat and knock off clothes) there's f?ck all here

it's dead and full of the same levels of filth as Bolton

all the new cinema/ bowling alley will do is drag more of the scrotes into the centre

until you reach whitefield no one gets on the tram from manc only gets off.

• Moderators
really it doesn't, perhaps looking at it from afar gives it a more positive air

bar the market (which is 90% tat and knock off clothes) there's f?ck all here

it's dead and full of the same levels of filth as Bolton

all the new cinema/ bowling alley will do is drag more of the scrotes into the centre

until you reach whitefield no one gets on the tram from manc only gets off.

ah, so im to tell mummy and daddy they were wrong in ngiving up on bolton after 35 years odd shopping there

honestly, theyre an age where manc isnt an option

always shopped in bolton and have now given up on it

and that frank is a damning indictment of the fcukers you defend

ah, so im to tell mummy and daddy they were wrong in ngiving up on bolton after 35 years odd shopping there

honestly, theyre an age where manc isnt an option

always shopped in bolton and have now given up on it

and that frank is a damning indictment of the fcukers you defend

at what point have i defended em.

Bolton is shite, but so is nigh on every other town in the area

a combination of the Trafford Centre, Manchester being so good and online shopping has spelt the end of the Town Centre

Not sure regeneration will help them either.

Free parking, more to do after 5:30 than go home or to the pub, or as NB something that make it stand out from the rest, these may help.

NB something that make it stand out from the rest, these may help.

I do go to Chorley these days. It's backward BUT cleaner than Bolton. I used to get Ocado to deliver most stuff but now have started to go to Booths. It is excellent & parking is free (it's dirt cheap on a Saturday too and that definately makes a diference as it's bloody heaving Saturdaya, unlike Bolton!!) This niche market thing might have some mileage in it. I might ring up them planning folk next week with my ideas. I bet they'd love me! :blink:

I do go to Chorley these days. It's backward BUT cleaner than Bolton. I used to get Ocado to deliver most stuff but now have started to go to Booths. It is excellent & parking is free (it's dirt cheap on a Saturday too and that definately makes a diference as it's bloody heaving Saturdaya, unlike Bolton!!) This niche market thing might have some mileage in it. I might ring up them planning folk next week with my ideas. I bet they'd love me! :blink:

Me mam swears by booths, often takes me nan out for a day to chorley and calls in there.

too far for me to be arsed, but that's the thing there's a reason for people to go.

Bury has the Market but it's shite i dunno why it's seen as being so great.

it is a bit cumbersome but as it was paid for by the council it needed to be the cheapest option so a single arch bridge was just that

under new Network rail rules clearance above the tracks has increased since the old bridge was built so the strength of the bridge had to be above the deck it self in order to achive the required clearance.

anything else you'd like to slag off without knowing the facts?

It still looks shit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.