Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A Worrying Thought For Next Season

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES (Jeffers and Paul Goddard).

Makukula was top scorer in Turkish league in 09-10 with 21 (next was 13). He was tranfeerred for 2 million (euros?) in the summer but has only scored 4 in 26 appearances (don't know how many starts). Still has 2 years on his contract.

• Members

I'll try and be positive about Nugent.

...erm...

... he's got a lot of energy and will run around a lot which is what Coyle wants (with reference to his dig at Klasnic).

Davies career only "recovered" because Sam told him he wanted a battering ram and not a striker. Davies started his career as a winger who became a striker and got his big move thanks to a decent striker rate in his first season at the Saints. He flopped at Blackburn and then again at Southampton because he was, and still is, crap in front of goal. Davies came to us and did well because, whilst he remained crap as a striker, he became a good target.

The question is, does Nugent have something to his game that makes up for the fact that he doesn't score enough goals? If not, there is absolutely no comparing him to Davies......because Davies didn't suddenly become a good striker; he became on of our "blocks in the box".

I'm prepared to accept that Nugent may have some side to his game that means he can really offer something to us, as Davies has, apart from goals. So what is it?

• Moderators

I'm prepared to accept that Nugent may have some side to his game that means he can really offer something to us, as Davies has, apart from goals. So what is it?

he can run quicker than any striker cept Sturridge

he can kick it straight

thats a decent enough start for a relatively chyeap signing that somebody reckons could score 10

maybe you'd prefer we spend 10 million on somebody who could score 10

are you my wife?

I would like to see us extend the Sturridge loan for another season. I dont know how long is left on his Chelsea contract but I cant see Chelsea selling him to a top 6 rival unless its for daft money.

If Anelka stays, Sturridge could find himself the understudy again, and from Chelseas perspective he is out of the shop window when he has surely increased in value playing for us. If he carries on as he has since January we could be looking at a 15+ striker and everyones happy.

thats a decent enough start for a relatively chyeap signing that somebody reckons could score 10

maybe you'd prefer we spend 10 million on somebody who could score 10

So he's quicker than Davies, Klasnic and Elmander? Not saying much. But pace isn't something that he actually does.

Aye, he could score 10.....if he played every game. But then he 'might' score 10 and he'd almost certainly create not much (or so his record shows). Elmander at least gets assists along with his not-enough-goals.

I hadn't realised there were only two options. Sign Nugent, or spend 10mil on someone equally crap.

Trying to build a ridiculous position for someone else only really works if it sounds credible. Is there some reason I should assume that those are the only two options?

So thus far he's like Davies, only he's not. He's faster than the Prem's slowest forward line. He can "kick a ball straight". You're doing a great job of selling him, I'll give you that. Have you considered becoming an agent?

I always thought it was a 15 goals per season striker that clubs wanted.

Since when did 10 become the benchmark? :blink:

Since someone wanted to justify signing Nugent as being somehow good news.

To be fair, I'm not entirely against it. Coyle has worked with him before, and may feel he can get something out of him that the squad needs......but it's a hard sell to say it's a signing that should excite the fans.

Coyle got some decent form out of Elmander, so I'm prepared to believe that Nugent can do something for us.......but I don't see why there's a problem with saying "Nugent is an average Championship player" and therefore far from ideal.

David Nugent's simply not good enough for the top level. You can have that stating-the-fkin-obvious-pearl-of-widsom off me for free. And he might be "only 26" but he's not gonna get any better any time soon - I've certainly see enough of him to come to that pretty cast-iron conclusion. The same goes for Jermaine Beckford and countless other 2nd-grade strikers who we may get on the cheap. So let's forget about him.

I presume we still have scouts at our club? I presume we're savvy enough to be beyond the days of (allegedly) signing players from youtube snippets?

Let's trust in Coyle, and see what the close season brings.

• Members

Surely all we need is five or six 10 goals per season strikers. 50 or 60 goals from our strikers should mean we're at the right end the table come next May.

Piece of piss.

Surely all we need is five or six 10 goals per season strikers. 50 or 60 goals from our strikers should mean we're at the right end the table come next May.

Piece of piss.

We have a 10 goal striker in Elmander, who is hated by most fans.....and he at least creates things. He has a better record at this level than Nugent, and that's worrying. Davies is effectively a 3 goal player this season (without pens), but adds more than his goals (though not enough to excuse his strike rate imo).

My concern is that we have all these strikers who are 'under-performing', why sign another one who is likely to do the same thing? We'll just end up with a squad that is full of cloggers, which ensures nothing but the drop.

Like I say, if we sign him I will shut up and support him whilst he's in the shirt. But until then I have no problem saying he's crap.

Piece of piss.

Prizestriker - get five (and keep Robbie Blake registered) 'journeymen' or 'championship standard at best' forwards in. Make it clear from the outset there's only a seasons salary for one player up for grabs and let 'em fight it out. Owen Coyle, David Hasslehoff and Thora Hird can be the judges - if any drop out through injury have a replacement 'wild-card' drawn from a select list, including; That fat bloke who's taken to exposing himself at the match, Ian Marshall, Dean Sturridge, Metal Mickey and Samantha Fox.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Members

The trouble is, Elmander's transfer fee and undoubtedly handsomely paid contract will always be a stick used to beat him with.

If we'd signed him for, say, ?2m and he was on, say, ?15k per week then he wouldn't get half of the criticism.

A big price tag means, rightly or wrongly, big expectations and in all honesty he hasn't lived up to what we expected of him.

I'd definitely rather have him than Nugent next season.

One thing that has always puzzled me, and I've never heard a decent explanation - why, oh why was our record signing only signed up on a 2 year contract??? Regardless of how he has actually performed, it just seems crazy that the club would, at the time, gamble on him leaving for nothing just two years after us forking out so much money.

Anyone any ideas why?? :blink:

Edited by DazBobParr

I have always been puzzled as to why he is only on a 3 year contract given the money we spent on him and if they was wary of his quality could have at least put in the option for a 4th depending on appearences that season, I understand that the footballers seem to call the shots these days but still you would think the club would tell him to do one if he was not up for signing a longer deal.

• Members

Ah, that'll be why. haha

Sorry, meant to say was that just two and a half years into his contract he'd be able to negotiate a free transfer.

So, even on a three year contract it's still very bad business on our part.

• Members

I think most would say we're lucky not to have to pay him for another season.

I'm quite sure that a lot of people are relieved it was only 3 years.

However, at the time we signed him no-one could've expected him to be so shit for so much of his time here, so it still makes no sense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.