Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sturridge - How Much Would You Pay?

Ani

?10 million rising to a maximum of ?15 million based on goals scored and England caps.

He hasnt spent enough time at the club for us to be even discussing talks of a ?15m+ deal. He scored a few goals for us in the latter part of the season, but so did Elmander at the start of the season and we were cursing spending ?9m on him. I am yet to meet a City fan that regrets the sale of Sturridge and Chelsea are still in the market place for a new striker even with their current squad, so what does that say.

A 12 month loan, with a view to a permanent deal at the end of it is by far the better option.

Guest Frandsen08

drogba staying, lukaku on his way to chelsea and rumours of eto'o going as well. cant see sturridge being happy to stay with that.

31pts from 24 games = 1.29 ie only marginally less than the 1.33 with Sturridge

34 goals in 24 games = 1.42 goals just less than the 1.5 since he came.

ie he came, Elamnder got moved.

Elmander stopped scoring and Sturridge merely replaced those goals.

Yet Elmander contributed more to the team ethic IMO.

Aye, but we were without him in 26 games.

My maths are right, quit confusing!

• Moderators

I think whatever we can get him for, permanently, we should take the risk

it would be more annoying for him to have another good season next season and then find ourselves going through this again presumably with a) a higher fee required and B) more competition

this is assuming he'd want to come permanently and he scores 15+ next season

if a loan is the only option, obvs we take it

From this mornings gossip on the BBC website.

Meanwhile, Chelsea's England Under-21 international Daniel Sturridge could be set for a season-long loan to Newcastle, who are short of firepower following the sales of Andy Carroll and Kevin Nolan.

Full story: Caughtoffside.com

• Moderators

Wouldn't Newcastle just buy him outright, considering the cash they got from Andy Carroll's massively inflated move to Liverpool?

no

Ashley will keep as much as he can

At the end of the day, as we know, it will all boil down to money...........salary, loan payment etc and Newcastle have loads. It wont have anything to do where a player would rather be. The guy coming in at Chelski is alledged to be bringing Falcao with him, that leaves Drog, Analka and Sturridge with there noses out of joint. Torres will be sound as Abromovich wont lose face.

• Members

Sturridge has a big ego

Therefore I can think of about 25,000 reasons

True.

But, I also think he's hugely ambitious. Whoever his next club is, he'll see as a stepping stone to move onto bigger and better things. He knows that by coming back here he is guaranteed to be in the starting XI every week and he knows he can score goals playing for us. By going to, say, Newcastle, he'd be taking a bit of a gamble.

Coming straight back here there is no gamble. If he can hit the ground running again, there's be no reason why he couldn't force himself into the England squad before next summer's Euros (assuming we qualify).

• Members

DazBobParr, Agree with everything you say, except that you seem to think he will have much of a chioce in his destination. I would be delighted to see him back here, perhaps a plan B could be Nicolas Anelka? That gets me equally buzzing.

Y'know what, I actually think he might have a say in it to a cerain extent.

Firstly, unless anyone comes in with an offer around the ?20m mark, I don't think they'll sell.

That, realistically, only really leaves him being available for loan and Chelsea won't loan him to anyone that could rival them for a top 4 finish.

That leaves a pool of around 14 clubs. You can rule out the newly promoted teams and teams that stayed up by the skin of their teeth (Wolves and Wigan and probably Blackburn). This reduces the options even more.

Some clubs might offer a larger loan fee than others, but only to the tune of an extra ?1m or so but I don't think Chelsea would force him to go to one of these clubs for the sake of an extra ?1m.

We have shown with Wilshere and Sturridge that we will play young, talented players regardless of their experience, and ultimately they return back to their clubs a better player. It's a win/win/win (Chelsea/Sturridge/BWFC) for all concerned IMO.

As for your plan B, yeah what a buzz that would give everyone. Who knows, maybe Anelka enjoyed himself so much whilst here that he'd happily come back on far less money than he's currently on. I wouldn't put any money on it but fingers crossed...

• Site Supporter

OfficialBWFC just tweeted that Coyle and Villas-Boas are good friends, could favour us if he's going out on loan again.

this villa boas guy seems very odd, how did he even get the porto job?

and why would be know coyle?

• Members

this villa boas guy seems very odd, how did he even get the porto job?

and why would be know coyle?

Maybe they worked together in a shop. Maybe Coyle has footage of Villas Boas dancing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.