Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ballisodare, Co. Sligo

It's a sleepy little place full of empty properties available at reasonable prices.

Or, at least it was the last time I went there.

PS I'm assuming you mean Ballysadare.

Edited by Traf

• Site Supporter

I shall pick it up on my way to the airport, I'll simply wear my y-backs inside out

It's spirit such as this that saw us win 2 world wars.

Knock airport still use tractors to unload luggage (assume you're going there?)

According to the text I've received it's spelt Ballisodare, I've had a quick look on google and that seems to back up the spelling

Same place, matey: I've just checked.

They built a shitload of property too late for the boom and now they're all empty.

What are you going there for?

• Site Supporter

Stayed in Bundorran a while ago and bused into Sligo each day. English plates on the bus; we got bricked a couple of times! They don't like Brits, Bundorran was Sinn Fien's holiday destination of choice.

Not the place you're going but not far away.

• 4 weeks later...

My family are originally from Cloonacool near Tubbercurry in Co. Sligo. Been to Baile Easa Dara (correct name in Irish- settlement of the oak by the waterfall) a couple of times- never been my favourite place. There is a lovely seaside town south of Sligo town close to the Mayo border at the mouth of the River Moy called Enniscrone. The Moy was a favourite salmon fishing river for Jack Charlton, who has a house in the Ballina area of Co. Mayo. Indeed Mayo is probably a better bet all round. Fishing, beaches, two major holy pilgrimages (Croagh Patrick and Knock), pretty towns and villages all over and quiter than Galway and Sligo. Far better base all round.

I dunno why anybody bothers with the Republic when Northern Ireland is there. They use a sensible currency and most of the population welcome you just because you're English. Between Belfast and Dublin there is no competition whatsoever. But I am keen on Co. Donegal though.

Get thisel a green poppy and wear a suit, herringbone jacket and trainers to important meetings, perfect Sinn Fein fancy dress

Unfortunately, the filthy huwers I'm visiting live in Ballisodare so I'm stuck there

I've bought a flak jacket off e-bay and a bomb proof helmet

It was in the general vicinity that Lord Mountbatten met his end at the hands of the IRA, and although a Republican stronghold, it isn't anything like it once was. In truth, given the state of the economy, the locals will probably be glad of any contribution you might make to the local economy whilst there!

My family are originally from Cloonacool near Tubbercurry in Co. Sligo. Been to Baile Easa Dara (correct name in Irish- settlement of the oak by the waterfall) a couple of times- never been my favourite place. There is a lovely seaside town south of Sligo town close to the Mayo border at the mouth of the River Moy called Enniscrone. The Moy was a favourite salmon fishing river for Jack Charlton, who has a house in the Ballina area of Co. Mayo. Indeed Mayo is probably a better bet all round. Fishing, beaches, two major holy pilgrimages (Croagh Patrick and Knock), pretty towns and villages all over and quiter than Galway and Sligo. Far better base all round.

me mams family is from tuber mind you so was Terry Phelans family who were described as horse stealing tinkers fair enough :whistle:

me mams family is from tuber mind you so was Terry Phelans family who were described as horse stealing tinkers fair enough :whistle:

I've not met many men who have scared me. He's one of the few.

Edited by no balls

• Moderators

I've had a look now, it's an incredible place, looking on Google street view I was expecting a big dodgy estate. It's full of new build cutting edge architecture. Every fucker in Ireland must have had a new house during the boom.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.