Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Anyone Else Starting To Feel The Recession Bite ?

miamiwhite

Since coming back from Hispaniola i've had nothing but bad luck workwise.

2 major players in my field have gone under,thus i've lost 2 main contracts i had with them.

I've lost a job i was due to start next week,been undercut by a ?1,000 on a job worth only ?3,500. My 'rival' is an Asian going by the name of short cut. Short Cut,i ask you ? What sort of name is that for a roofer or in his case 'jack of all trades,master of none' ?

Certainly won't be quality assured,hold the qualifications i have and definitely not trained to standards required in our industry !!!!!!!!!!!

My father was a superb roofer all his life,progressing to lecturer at Bolton College before suffering a heart attack,and he saw the steady decline,due to outsiders taking work off skilled trades.

Over the years on this site,there's been many a debate on immigration,problems with the country etc and i've never got involved,but fuck it,i'm having my 15 minutes of fame now.

As an apprentice,and the following years,work was always booked in front for months ahead,order book full,week in week out. A non stop stream of major refurbs and grant work.

We'd finish a entire street of total re-roofs,then simply move onto the next,this pattern followed year in year out.

All that has died off in recent years,with the money being spent elsewhere. Where I ask ? Well its blatantly obvious where it's being spent and it's not on us Honkys.

I'm currently discussing terms on lucrative contracts in Belgium and Germany,the building game here has totally died. I've seen it coming gradually but have managed to keep going due to quality work and good contacts,but due to 2 main contractors going under,then I've got to look elsewhere.

Before I get tarred with the same brush as our foreigners,the Krauts and Flemish are actually crying out for traditional English roofers,they love our quality and workmanship and simply can't get enough of us.

Anyway,rant over and i'll get off my soap box

AUF WIEDERSEHEN PET

I think its safe to say I'll not be getting much of a bonus next year (based on my employer's projected 2012 results). Sales in our big markets Germany, France and Switzerland have dropped off a cliff in the last 3 months.

A big outbreak of swine flu and/or a big natural disaster would be most welcome.

Edited by DazBobParr

If you get this foreign work and need a young labourer, my lads after some work.

Was at bury FC as an apprentice and also doing some community coaching, getting his badges etc, but they fucked all the lads off at the end of their apprenticeships, because they couldnt afford to pay then more than ?125 a week ffs.

It's the current trend for things to be done in the cheap now and worry about any long term costs when they happen.

You sound like the kind of company/contractor who may not be the cheapest but their work will be to a high standard.

The adage you get what you pay for is incredibly true in the construction game.

If you stick with it, all the cheapo bodge jobs will need fixing in a couple of years and hopefully folk will have learnt their lessons

If you get this foreign work and need a young labourer, my lads after some work.

Was at bury FC as an apprentice and also doing some community coaching, getting his badges etc, but they fucked all the lads off at the end of their apprenticeships, because they couldnt afford to pay then more than ?125 a week ffs.

I will certainly bear your lad in mind pal.

We're likely to be needing an apprentice/trainee as our 'youth' has cried off the european tour.

We're obviously trying to talk him round,but currently having no joy.

Hope he's not scared of heights pal,some of those churches over there are a long way up !!!!!!!!!

It's the current trend for things to be done in the cheap now and worry about any long term costs when they happen.

You sound like the kind of company/contractor who may not be the cheapest but their work will be to a high standard.

The adage you get what you pay for is incredibly true in the construction game.

If you stick with it, all the cheapo bodge jobs will need fixing in a couple of years and hopefully folk will have learnt their lessons

Quality not quantity is our motto and always to a high standard.

The problem with repairing the cheap bodge jobs is that no-one wants to pay again to rectify some jokers earlier attempts. We do so many under the NHBC,NLA etc yet it seems folk aren't learning by their mistakes

Cheers, mate.

Heights shouldn't be an issue, he'd have to get used to it.

He's no roofing experience but he's dome a fair bit of labouring, he's 19, fit as an ox and not afraid of hard graft, as long as he gets told what to do! (kids seem to,lack initiative nowadays)

Cheers, mate.

Heights shouldn't be an issue, he'd have to get used to it.

He's no roofing experience but he's dome a fair bit of labouring, he's 19, fit as an ox and not afraid of hard graft, as long as he gets told what to do! (kids seem to,lack initiative nowadays)

Sounds like a good un pal,a quick glancing blow to the head with the hammer will soon give the initiative needed :thumbsup:

We'll train him up to the required standards though and look after him.

I've been closeish to you today,Great Harwood town hall,if we land that,then we may be giving your lad his debut closer to home.

At the mo,i'm on an Asian solicitors(ironically),then a magistrates followed hopefully by 2 Aldis in Manchester and Buxton,then the foreign work will commence. I'll keep you updated pal

• Site Supporter

Sounds like a good un pal,a quick glancing blow to the head with the hammer will soon give the initiative needed :thumbsup:

We'll train him up to the required standards though and look after him.

I've been closeish to you today,Great Harwood town hall,if we land that,then we may be giving your lad his debut closer to home.

At the mo,i'm on an Asian solicitors(ironically),then a magistrates followed hopefully by 2 Aldis in Manchester and Buxton,then the foreign work will commence. I'll keep you updated pal

Did you know Mr J Stanway mate?

• Site Supporter

i know who you mean now pal,my dad knew him in person but i had no dealings with him.

had a rough do in the end didn't he ? poor lad

Aye, was a good mate of mine, really sad ending.

The recession will sort itself out, you guys do a fucking hard job so keep the faith!!

Aye, was a good mate of mine, really sad ending.

The recession will sort itself out, you guys do a fucking hard job so keep the faith!!

i believe so pal,sorry to hear that.

the job is bloody tough esp at the moment,we can't win no matter what the weather. it does have its' perks though so just got to grin and bear at present

We lost a tender today to another who has clearly bought the work.

We're in at cost plus just 6% to OHP (leaves about 2% profit) and still lost by over 20%. Shit happens and we're ok for a while so wasn't reliant on it but it's not the last time we've been at the dinner table and got blown out.

It'll end up with a shitstorm at final account stage but when the QS only has x to spend its the way of the world at the moment.

There's work out there but mostly if you cut every corner and pull every trick in the book. biggest growth sector in construction at the moment must be adjudication and dispute resolution.

Edited by Smiffs

Did you know Mr J Stanway mate?

Bloody 'ell there's a name from the past.

Was at Smithills Grammar with him (assuming we're talking Julian). Only lad that got on the long, black and white photo thing twice by legging it round the back. Still got it and he was a stocky unit then.

Smashing lad and IIRC it was him that phoned the school one Weds lunch saying there was a bomb on the premises .... it was raining so we all knew it was cross country rather than footie and he didn't like that much! Place got evacuated with cops on roof etc while we ended standing out in the rain.

• Site Supporter

Bloody 'ell there's a name from the past.

Was at Smithills Grammar with him (assuming we're talking Julian). Only lad that got on the long, black and white photo thing twice by legging it round the back. Still got it and he was a stocky unit then.

Smashing lad and IIRC it was him that phoned the school one Weds lunch saying there was a bomb on the premises .... it was raining so we all knew it was cross country rather than footie and he didn't like that much! Place got evacuated with cops on roof etc while we ended standing out in the rain.

Sounds like classic Ju

He was a top top bloke. Fell off more roofs than I've stood on. Best sense of humour I've known.

I'll not go into the details on here but he went from us far far too soon.

Not in my industry but then I head up the touring sector so we play to 50 plus middle and upper class who have not been touched.

Having said thus; my wages having been increased in a year; I pay 4,500 a year just to commute to work and my childcare is more expesive than my interest only mortgage.

So yes, I'm feeling the pinch massively. If we didn't have kids though, it'd be the life of riley. The South East in the creative sector is a bit of a bubble.

• Site Supporter

We had about 200 mainly aerospace subcontractors as customers. lost about 15 over the last 3 years though liquidation. Got about half back though buyouts and replaced rest and more with new business.

But start of this year we've lost 10 in about 4 months. Obviously thoses who were clinging on but then decided enough was enough.

Hopefully that's the end of the losses.

Guest Frandsen08

If your lad still wants to do some coaching i can see what i can find, possibly with me if you like

If your lad still wants to do some coaching i can see what i can find, possibly with me if you like

ive seen these kind of internet meet ups go wrong before franny!....

you will get the shock of your life when traf turns up for his first trainning session in his knights security bolton kit,head band on the lot! :D

Guest Frandsen08

ive seen these kind of internet meet ups go wrong before franny!....

you will get the shock of your life when traf turns up for his first trainning session in his knights security bolton kit,head band on the lot! :D

as long as he can pick up cones he'll be reet!