Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Learning A Language !

Pablo

Reet,

While I can barely manage to write and speak English, I am going to learn another language.

Looks to be around a 2 year course, night college to fit around my job.

Now, I want to learn Italian as that country and culture fascinates me, but should I be looking at learning Spanish first, more realistic and used more around the world ??

Or should I just go with what I would enjoy more ??

Anyone else speak another language ?

You'll be ok with one word, gobbi

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Now, I want to learn Italian as that country and culture fascinates me, but should I be looking at learning Spanish first, more realistic and used more around the world ??

Or should I just go with what I would enjoy more ??

learn where you intend to go to

sounds like italy to me

• Moderators

Why learn another language when the rest of of the world learns English?

Garrp

Ignorant Brit

lad I know went on holiday to S America - Brazil and Argentina amongst others - was amazed to find out you get nowhere with just English, apparently he was in Buenos Aires and no one speaks it, v difficult to get by

still that's only 1 continent in 7 so fuck em

Mate of mine speaks fluent Spanish

Amazing what you get told when on your jollies and you can speak the lingo - we had discounted taxi rides, non "tourist" menus

And most importantly you can tell when the locals are taking the piss

I'd learn Spanish tomorrow if I had the time

Amazing what you get told when on your jollies and you can speak the lingo - we had discounted taxi rides, non "tourist" menus

very good advice and very true jules.

i can get by in spanish and learning the lingo for my upcoming trip to croatia.

the locals take the piss especially in madrid. they soon shut the fuck up when you talk in spanish esp the taxi drivers the robbing bastards !!!

Don't see the point miself.

I've always found that speaking in English works. But, if on the odd occasion ignorant Johnny Foreigner is struggling to understand me then I just say it a bit slower and a lot louder. Sorted.

Learnt more spanish in 2 weeks on holiday in Ezceray and Logrono in northern spain than French in 5 years at school. Amazing how fast you pick it up when no-one speaks english! It was very strange hearing someone speaking english towards the end of the 2 weeks, especially as it was a broad Lancashire accent!

Always found if you make an attempt, even if the locals respond in english, they do appreciate you making the effort.

It's true about getting more respect and less ripped off.

I speak French and German pretty much fluently, I can get by with my Italian and Spanish and my Arabic's coming along nicely (handy for trips back to Bolton)

must be terrible taking your cut of hard earned contractors money sitting on your behind........big e - bitter with agencies today and as always blames jules :D

i totally agree. used to see a coloured girl from tanzania,taught me loads of the native tongue in our short time together.

she was bizarrely called Doris Allam,absolutely loaded,had a load of capital behind her

Hmmm, I see what you did there.

It's true about getting more respect and less ripped off.

I speak French and German pretty much fluently, I can get by with my Italian and Spanish and my Arabic's coming along nicely (handy for trips back to Bolton)

How did you get to learn so many? Are you a super brain?

Did French and German to A level and then at Uni, lived in France for a while and my uncle married a German, I've picked up quite a bit of Italian and Spanish on my travels and well over a dozen trips to both Tunisia and Egypt has brought the Arabic on.

But yes, I also have a good memory.

must be terrible taking your cut of hard earned contractors money sitting on your behind........big e - bitter with agencies today and as always blames jules :D

And explaining in one sentence that you don't understand how it works

Give me a bell if you need help

Again!