Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Nhs Trust To Shed Jobs

Happy Wanderer

The only decent thing about Argos is you can order online and go collect it. Good luck to them.

Argos shoul dhave changed their formula years ago. I would imagine the likes of Amazon and Tesco are wiping the floor with them. As Carlos says, the only good thing about them is the "click and collect" bit, but with next day delivery from the likes of Amazon and Tesco, is it really that good?

I'll be very surprised if Argos are still around in 5 years, which is a shame as they were very good around 20 years ago, they just haven't moved quikcly enough with the times.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else think that unemployment will just keep going up and up?

I'm not sure, apparently unemployment went down 49,000 last month - now I'm sure there is an incredible amount of messing around with the numbers, and it doesn't say in what type of work people are in, but it seems to be going the right way.

More and more manufacturing is coming back to the UK, so ideally we'll continue to create jobs

There was some bloke on the radio yesterday who was clearly on the government payroll, as he kept saying how the UK has never had so many people in employment as they have today......it was pointed out to him that there have never been more people living here than there is today. Still, the employment level isn't as bad as it has been previously

I also didn't realise how many "youth" are unemployed...just under 1M of them.....now I'm not sure what constitutes a youth these days, but I would reckon it's between 16~22, they're the fuckers that don't seem to be able to get anywork - I do wonder, is there no work for "youths" or is it that they won't work for an apprenticeship type wage?!?

Yes, if you work and don't want to spend Saturday waiting in for a parcel to arrive.

I get around that by either asking the, to deliver to either mine of Mrs CWPs place of work, failing that, I ask for it to be delivered to my village post office who will hold it until I go to collect it. I would never wait in for something, I'm not sure anybody would in this day and age would they?

I get around that by either asking the, to deliver to either mine of Mrs CWPs place of work, failing that, I ask for it to be delivered to my village post office who will hold it until I go to collect it. I would never wait in for something, I'm not sure anybody would in this day and age would they?

Unfortunately, when you work airside at an airport, having stuff delivered to work isn't an option :)

I've just had a massive performance getting some safety shoes delivered, they wouldn't leave them with a neighbour and I couldn't have them delivered elsewhere as I bought them with my business account. I end up knowing all the delivery depots around me - worst was when I had to do an 80 mile round trip to pick up from UPS who wouldn't even take it to a more convenient depot to me.

• Moderators

I recall a UCAS survey that said Manchester was the #1 place outside london that students wanted to live.

Bolton and Salford Uni's both came towards the bottom of the desirability of actual unis to attend.

Salford uni is possibly closer to the city centre than both Manc Uni's

it's not closer than the one on oxford road, and the uni in fallowfield is pretty much a student town in its own right (though go out the centre of it, and it's no better than salford in terms of likelihood to get robbed and in being full of scrotes)

as for redundancy, had it twice, 10 years ago, wouldn't fancy it now though my niche seems to be getting stronger with the demands for skilled folk increasing

when I got made redundant at ICL, they'd basically fucked up by taking on a shed load of grads with the promise of working on a variety of projects but the project leaders needed skills to get the job done quck, not grads needing to learn the ropes, so they took on contractors - you'd have thought redundancy would've got rid the contractors but they basically fucked off all the grads as they were essentially sat around doing nowt (which I did for 2.5 years, it was ace, playing network half life and getting paid for it) - then about six months later the dot com bubble burst, the contractors fucked off where the now limited money was, and ICL went out and recruited a load more grads at great cost - probably more than it cost to get rid in the first place

was a big old costly mess in the end