Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Teachers On Strike Tomorrow.

barryk32

Love that - welcome to the real world. As though teachers exist in a staff room cosseted alternate universe. The comparison you make is flawed I'm afraid.

Also, it would appear you could have done with a decent English teacher yourself.

I also apologise for being a grumpy arse but I've not had a ciggie for two days. No offense meant.

Offence, you illiterate unschooled oik :D

Love that - welcome to the real world. As though teachers exist in a staff room cosseted alternate universe. The comparison you make is flawed I'm afraid.

Also, it would appear you could have done with a decent English teacher yourself.

I also apologise for being a grumpy arse but I've not had a ciggie for two days. No offense meant.

Why is my comparison flawed, I was pointing out my work load as increased over the years and I would bet so as everyone else’s, people have not had wage increases in years and had their pensions raped over the last 10 years, It’s the teachers that are bitching and moaning, like I've said before if the terms and conditions are that bad get out, go find another job with better then you are being given now.

Human nature

It's hardly rocket science - we're essentially selfish beings. We all want better than we have.

Fair point

Hopefully the govt will continue to stand up to them

So what's being asked of you hasn't fundamentally changed?

Except my work load, which is what I was pointing out to you, that nearly everyone’s work load as increased in the last 20 years, Like I said 20 years ago this job would have had 20 to 30 designers and taken 4 1/2 years now we now have 12 and 3 1/2 years to do the same thing, they still teach, I still design, they moan about terms and conditions ,I don’t moan I find myself a new place to work with the terms and conditions that I want but maybe that’s just me, and if I dont do my job i'm shown the door with a max of 2 weeks notice are teacher that dont do they jobs shown the door ?

Edited by tyldesley_white

Because the job has changed, continues to with each successive gvt and still expecting the same results with changes to the curriculum, exams, assessment, and inspection has led to teachers being less able to focus on the task of actually teaching our sprogs. And I'm sorry but teaching is one of the most valuable professions in our society and its constantly undermined in the way the other professions are not. 

As I say, you can't compare like with like, I wouldn't dream of comparing my job with a teachers and I don't get the perks of holidays. I do get others - flexible working, paid for travel the occasional small bonus here are there. But come monday morning I don't have to stand in front of 30 kids and get through exams. Cup of coffee, chat to another adult for five minutes? Ah, go on then. I think you are failing to realise what  educational changes are being made and how tough this essential job actually is. 

So, I don't sell enough theatre tickets? So what. A Child fails an exam - there are big repercussions.

Because the job has changed, continues to with each successive gvt and still expecting the same results with changes to the curriculum, exams, assessment, and inspection has led to teachers being less able to focus on the task of actually teaching our sprogs. And I'm sorry but teaching is one of the most valuable professions in our society and its constantly undermined in the way the other professions are not.

As I say, you can't compare like with like, I wouldn't dream of comparing my job with a teachers and I don't get the perks of holidays. I do get others - flexible working, paid for travel the occasional small bonus here are there. But come monday morning I don't have to stand in front of 30 kids and get through exams. Cup of coffee, chat to another adult for five minutes? Ah, go on then. I think you are failing to realise what educational changes are being made and how tough this essential job actually is.

So, I don't sell enough theatre tickets? So what. A Child fails an exam - there are big repercussions.

Interesting point about results

From what I see, kids are coming out of school less well prepared than say 40 years ago.

Edited by boltondiver

As I say, you can't compare like with like, I wouldn't dream of comparing my job with a teachers and I don't get the perks of holidays. I do get others - flexible working, paid for travel the occasional small bonus here are there. But come monday morning I don't have to stand in front of 30 kids and get through exams. Cup of coffee, chat to another adult for five minutes? Ah, go on then. I think you are failing to realise what  educational changes are being made and how tough this essential job actually is. 

But everyone’s job as changed over the years with different Gvt, in my game constant changes to health and safety, changes in environmental laws and so on, it’s a constant moving target, things you did on the last job you can’t do on the next one in some cases the goal post move on the one you’re working on when new regulations come into effect.

I was fairly new in the industry when piper Alpha happened, if you really want to see the rules of a game change then that was a massive game changer, we had to go back and completely change everything we had ever done before and to things that were already being built, so you don’t sell enough tickets no issue,  we fuck up and people can get killed

Question.

Why is it that teachers go into complete meltdown when Ofsted announce they're visiting? They suddenly work longer hours and everything is prepared and planned to within an inch of it's life. Does this mean they don't work to the best of their abilities at all other times? Just wondered.

Question.

Why is it that teachers go into complete meltdown when Ofsted announce they're visiting? They suddenly work longer hours and everything is prepared and planned to within an inch of it's life. Does this mean they don't work to the best of their abilities at all other times? Just wondered.

Over the last 10 years I have experienced OFSTED 4 times, at every level - teacher, deputy and more recently head. As head, I got all the staff together and told them to go home and chill out - 'we'd be fine!!!' Luckily we were!! Some stayed longer because they knew so much rested on the judgement that the school received, I did work 'longer hours' as i knew that they would want to see stuff that i simply hadn't updated as a result of recent assessment data etc etc. You receive a phone call just after 12pm the day before and you spend an hour on the phone where they tell you what documents they want to see and what they want you to send to them prior to their arrival at 8am the next day. They base all this on the data from the previous year, which is released to schools in Nov/Dec. so if you do not have what they want ready then you need to spend time getting it ready, for the next day.

A good starter for me was that the lead inspector was a Bolton fan and so her eyes lit up when she saw the signed shirt in my office!! (Don't think this affected the judgment!?!)

The inspectors come in with a judgement in mind (based on the data). It is then up to the school, in many cases, to 'persuade' the inspectors that they are better than the data suggests.

Don't get me wrong, I am not moaning, I do cringe when I see images/read reports about teachers striking etc - think, as teachers we all have to accept that the cuts are affecting us all and that we will all have to work until we're 87!! Get over it, put some energy into doing your job, you might find you like it!!!

Don't get me wrong, I am not moaning, I do cringe when I see images/read reports about teachers striking etc - think, as teachers we all have to accept that the cuts are affecting us all and that we will all have to work until we're 87!! Get over it, put some energy into doing your job, you might find you like it!!!

Big up to Mr. G.   :D

I am also in tears here watching Educating Yorkshire.  I want to give The Head of Year 9 a big love.

• Site Supporter

Talkin to my lad tonight about life in year one and I asked him his teachers name.

He couldn't remember at first then rhymed them off.

All 5 of them!

How many teachers does a class of 5 year olds need?

Edited by HomerJay

More teacher than you think have experience outside the classroom, and even if they don't, I do think that their workload has doubled and tripled over the years. Are they teachers or pastoral care, social workers? Guidance officers? exam training machines?

In comparison to most jobs they have it far from a cushy number. If it was so, why is there still a shortfall of people going into the profession?

Aww. Fucking bless their little cotton socks.

Teachers in not wanting to move with the times shocker!

I really do not see what makes them so special that they cannot adapt.

Question.

Because they're not doing the job properly in the first place.

Fact.

They get the brown envelope then spend 3 days running around fixing stuff they should have been doing all along.

Been there seen it.

Fact with twats on top.

:)

You'll never win 'em round Mr G. Fuck 'em and keep on doing what you're doing.

Just be safe in the knowledge that when Chardonnay and Keanu do get their 10 A*s it's had feck all to do with you and your colleagues. it's wholly down the the genetics of the hard working parents in 'real jobs'. 

You'll never win 'em round Mr G. Fuck 'em and keep on doing what you're doing.

Just be safe in the knowledge that when Chardonnay and Keanu do get their 10 A*s it's had feck all to do with you and your colleagues. it's wholly down the the genetics of the hard working parents in 'real jobs'.

Various reports state that 20% of children leave school with no qualifications. Using the same logic, teachers are failing thousands of children each year but the excuse is usually to blame the parents.

Various reports state that 20% of children leave school with no qualifications. Using the same logic, teachers are failing thousands of children each year but the excuse is usually to blame the parents.

They must be the kids of parents who post bollox on football message boards all day.