Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Jft 96 Campaigners

tomski

So we are getting somewhere in that it is accepted that the ticketless fans had a part to play.

My next thought is with regard to the compensation, and let us not hide away from this issue. The reason for my cynicism was fuelled by that record in the charts a while ago. The government have released a statement haven't they, apologising for some of the lies?

Money doesn't recompense for losing a loved one.

Edited by no balls

No, but lots of people made no mention of the main cause of this disaster (as identified by official reports and an apology from SYP which came 23 years too late) and instead placed all the blame on 'the murderers' ie Scousers generally.

Are you a Liverpool fan?

No, a Wanderer since the age of 5. Well birth, but I was 5 when I went to my first match. For what it's worth. Actually a fuck of a lot in heartache and money spent etc, but this isn't This is Your Life.

Well why are you getting on your high horse over the scousers on a Wanderers forum

• Members

Bolty, I'm not 'shit scared' of calling it as I see it. Those fans who arrived without tickets were definitely part of the problem. My point is that they're not anywhere near the main issue. Ticketless fans, rightly or wrongly, have been a feature of major games before and since (plenty United fans got in to Wembley against Barcelona apparently). It's to protect fans' safety from a minority of idiots that we have policing, stewarding, emergency planning etc. All of which failed spectacularly on the day - and all identified by every report done on Hillsborough as the factors which, had they worked properly, would have avoided this tragedy. Of course if everyone had turned up 2 hours early, with a ticket, sober and queued politely then we wouldn't need police, stewards etc... but that's not what happens on FA Cup semi final day, so we do.

You say I won't acknowledge the part ticketless fans played (and let's be honest, nobody has any idea how many actually fell into that category), well I do...I just don't see it as a major part of the disaster. You, on the other hand, seem unable or unwilling to get half as exercised by the clearly identified failings of the people who were responsible for crowd safety - let alone the massive cover-up and smear campaign which followed.

David, I am happy that you concede they had some part to play. I will now die a happy man.

I get plenty of exercise but have never been exorcised.

I wasn't there and I'm not a scouser. As I said, my first response was prompted by some comments I found particularly offensive which showed no empathy for the suffering this has caused for a lot of people. Whoever it was basically was saying 'fuck em', they're all vermin, compo grabbing thieves who should shut the fuck up'. Thankfully that view isn't representative of most people on here. I've no problem with an honest discussion of what went wrong - which I think this thread has largely done - and accept people have different opinions about the rights and wrongs. The other stuff I can do without though. Each to their own.

Yep that was me. I maintain that view. Not just of the JFT96, but of most Scousers in general. Most Mancs too for that matter.

Anyone who wants something for nothing, and isn't willing to work for it as they have a "right" to it. Do one!

The worst part is that these are the people who are breeding more than the decent folk, and so the country is going downhill. But that's a much bigger discussion than this thread's topic.

Don't get me wrong, it's sad that an accident happened and people died. It really is. But, as started by no balls at the top of this page, compo doesn't bring back a loved one. SO LET IT DROP FFS.

Actually I was answering Smiffs, which is why I quoted him.

And yes, it's very telling that the Interim Taylor Report blamed Police failure as the main cause.

This was certainly against expectation at the time, and the Police mounted a long process to undemine the facts.

The failings of the Ambulance service were not so apparent at the time, although the fact that very few ambulances entered the stadium was certainly known.

LJ Taylor died in 1997, or thereabouts.

Again

I think you've misunderstood my reply

No, but lots of people made no mention of the main cause of this disaster (as identified by official reports and an apology from SYP which came 23 years too late) and instead placed all the blame on 'the murderers' ie Scousers generally.

I don't think we did.

I think 'we' said 'they' have to share some of the blame for the deaths of the poor buggers who were in the ground nice and early - however large or small that blame may be.

To absolve them 100% is nonsense. Anyone who went to football in that era knows why.

Its really that simple.

Scousers..

offended by everything ashamed of nothing.

I particularly liked the analagy used by No Balls, to which there isn't a simple reasoned response by anyone, anywhere...

the domino effect was caused by what?

Everyone who attended games back then knows what it was like, no fans were saints.