Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

North/south Divide

tomski

My bro went to Uni in leeds.

So i've seen all round kirkstall and Headingley as well as the centre during his 4yrs+ there.

The SiL lived in Meanwood (just moved to the city centre) so not so far from my brothers old gaff.

Spent a few nights in the Premier Inn opposite the arena (which does look nice TBF) spent most of our time in central leeds.

Perhaps it's because i know Manc and Brum better than Leeds but it didn't impress me nothing that countless other cities have to offer.

Fair enough

I ain't saying it is New York I worked in the centre for two years and in that time the centre improved massively, the trinity shopping place is good and the centre getting busy.

Packed on a night out as well.

I have spent little time in manc so can not compare.

Went to uni at Leeds for a year before I got booted out; was really on the up in 95/6, good clubs, good shopping but it seems to have stopped and not progressed. Was there with work a couple of months back and it's good but not in the same league as Manchester or even Liverpool in my opinion. Although Liverpool gets marks taken off for that dreadful Museum of Liverpool - good grief, they have a high opinion of themselves, and enough of The Beatles already.

York is lovely but I don't really consider it a city in the way that the other industrial capitals are; like a bigger Canterbury or Durham. Plus they gave us Shed Seven and for that they should never be forgiven.

Birmingham seems to be coming up but because of Manchester's renaissance isn't really seen as the second city anymore - even the mayor said so a few years back. They've still got a long way to go. 

it's all swings and roundabouts though how regional cities come up and back down. Newcastle is too remote to ever be an ongoing concern. Plus they are skinty poos at the moment.

Anyone who would consider living in London and has early starts would do well to watch a programme comes on about 6am -'Homes Under The Hammer'...

You see couples probably pulling in six figures between them getting excited about one bedroom shitholes over kebab shops...

'Outside space' often translates as something like those concrete rat-runs Texas Death-row inmates in solitary get 'exercise' time in.

:)

Give me the North (and Manchester and Liverpool Airports) anytime...

Oh no. No they weren't.

Pah just because it was cool to knock shed 7

It's harmless pop music an their annual tours are a right good singalong

I'm with you on Leeds though; I spent a fair bit of time there 96-99; mates at Uni and GF etc, an I loved it; seemed more edgy than Manc then

But these days going there on business, there's good bits but it seems a fair way behind Manc

Pah just because it was cool to knock shed 7

It's harmless pop music an their annual tours are a right good singalong

I'm with you on Leeds though; I spent a fair bit of time there 96-99; mates at Uni and GF etc, an I loved it; seemed more edgy than Manc then

But these days going there on business, there's good bits but it seems a fair way behind Manc

I give you she left me on friday, Ocean Pie, Going for Gold - ah, they are all crap.

Anyone who would consider living in London and has early starts would do well to watch a programme comes on about 6am -'Homes Under The Hammer'...

You see couples probably pulling in six figures between them getting excited about one bedroom shitholes over kebab shops...

'Outside space' often translates as something like those concrete rat-runs Texas Death-row inmates in solitary get 'exercise' time in.

:)

Give me the North (and Manchester and Liverpool Airports) anytime...

Aye but they've probably made £100k profit in the last two years on the fucker

Some of my younger associates have done the same on their Brixton hovels - first place they bought, made best part of £100k on it in 18 months - moved to the home counties, now got tons of equity and 2% mortgage rates as a result. Probably be mortgage free by 40 with the option to sell up and buy something palatial in another part of the country to bring their kids up.

Its fucked up and wrong (mainly because I missed that gravy train when I was younger) ... but it happens.