Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Woy Hodgson

TroySwoosh

If we'd tried to 'not get beat' against Uruguay once we'd equalised, we might have got a point.

True but we went a goal down so had to change tack.

The senior players need to take some responsibility the World Cup is the time they're meant to step up and lead the team. Instead we were clinging to Raheem Sterling, Danny's Wellbeck and Sturridge for hope.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stat on R5 this morning:  the FA have defined an "elite level" player as one who plays in the top 5 leagues for a team in the top 6 in that league who also regularly get Champions League experience, and he must play >50% of playing time.

France had 45 to pick from, Spain and Germany 42 - England just 18.

Because of the ridiculous premium put on English players by clubs they'll never be considered by foreign teams even if you take out the quality argument. If you took Celtic's Fraser Forster we'd be alongside Russia as the only team with totally home based players.

Are there actually many English players playing abroad at a decent level? Even those that are england eligble are ignored by the FA set up until it's to late and they've already commited to their adoptive nation.

• Moderators

Because of the ridiculous premium put on English players by clubs they'll never be considered by foreign teams even if you take out the quality argument. If you took Celtic's Fraser Forster we'd be alongside Russia as the only team with totally home based players.

Are there actually many English players playing abroad at a decent level? Even those that are england eligble are ignored by the FA set up until it's to late and they've already commited to their adoptive nation.

im not sure what point youre trying to make

all i can see is that there aren't clubs abroad who are willing to pay english players more than they can get in england

ffs, if players in cameroon weren't playing for a bucket of water a week they'd stay at home, too

• Moderators

Stat on R5 this morning: the FA have defined an "elite level" player as one who plays in the top 5 leagues for a team in the top 6 in that league who also regularly get Champions League experience, and he must play >50% of playing time.

France had 45 to pick from, Spain and Germany 42 - England just 18.

Be interesting if they did something similar with managers

Was thinking last night when watching how good France were that it must help to some degree to have a manager who did so much as a player and already a fair bit as a manager and he's only 45

We've not got anyone English who comes close, redknapp won the fa cup and had a season in the CL, that's it

Never mind too many foreign players, none of the decent English players can be arsed going on to coach either

How many who played in any england team in the 90s currently manage? There's a few who have but weren't that good, thinking Pearce and Southgate and to a degree Shearer

I know good player doesn't mean you're a good coach and vice versa but still, its a bit shit

im not sure what point youre trying to make

all i can see is that there aren't clubs abroad who are willing to pay english players more than they can get in england

ffs, if players in cameroon weren't playing for a bucket of water a week they'd stay at home, too

But thats because they're over paid in England simply by virtue of being English.

The experience of the global game is what's lacking in england players in my opinion.

The only English players abroad are championship level at best, the fact there's none in any of the other top leagues suggests either they're not good enough or cost more money than their ability warrants.

Never mind too many foreign players, none of the decent English players can be arsed going on to coach either

How many who played in any england team in the 90s currently manage? There's a few who have but weren't that good, thinking Pearce and Southgate and to a degree Shearer

I know good player doesn't mean you're a good coach and vice versa but still, its a bit shit

Ince?

But as you say theyve been shit.

Teddy Sheringham strikes me as a person who'd make a good manager.

The more I think about it, the more I blame Roy.

For an over cautious manager, he dint half play an open and risky formation....and do you know why ???? You, me and the media all moaned for it.

We wanted the failed old guard gone, and in the main, that is what happened, yet as soon as this 'risky open plan' didn't work, all the same people cry for these players t come back.

Madness, delusion and just stupid.

I know what went wrong, and I think Roy does. But he was not strong enough to play his on way.

We wanted the failed old guard gone, and in the main, that is what happened, yet as soon as this 'risky open plan' didn't work, all the same people cry for these players t come back.

Nobody wanted Cole gone. He was one of the few success stories of past tournaments. Leaving Terry's off-field problems aside, how many wanted him gone as a player? Not many i suspect.

Was thinking last night when watching how good France were that it must help to some degree to have a manager who did so much as a player and already a fair bit as a manager and he's only 45

We've not got anyone English who comes close, redknapp won the fa cup and had a season in the CL, that's it

Maybe we should have appointed Jack Charlton when he applied for the job then. We wouldn't even have needed a midfield. 

Plain & simple. Sack him.

He had one job, to prepare us for a World Cup & to perform there. We've played 2 big games against teams that are unlikely to be contenders (IMHO) & we haven't even managed a point & we're out.

Woy is experienced but so what. We might as well have had Dougie managing the team. It's a results job & he's just fucked it.

As for letting him build a squad, well that's bollocks too. We've just let him build one for this World Cup & what good was that? It's not all about building for the future, it's about doing it right now.

Nothing against the guy, but he's had his chance & not taken it. Next please.

The experience of the global game is what's lacking in england players in my opinion.

Platt, Gascoigne, Walker, Lineker, Waddle, Hoddle, Hateley. All played abroad. All part of England teams that failed to win anything.

The more I think about it, the more I blame Roy.

For an over cautious manager, he dint half play an open and risky formation....and do you know why ???? You, me and the media all moaned for it.

Madness, delusion and just stupid.

I know what went wrong, and I think Roy does. But he was not strong enough to play his on way.

And where does the assumption that it wasn't "his way" come from?

Cant quote for some reason.

I remember loads wanting the pair of them gone, Terry and Cole. Short memories some. When we got bummed 4-1 by Germany them pair of them were embarrassing.

And guess what...same story.....different names. Nothing will change till we change the approach of selecting a squad / tam to fit the formation.

The Cole V Baines debate is easy. If we are to play a formation that requires attacking full backs, Baines win all day. If you want more defensive / orthodox then its Cole all day.

I remember loads wanting the pair of them gone, Terry and Cole. Short memories some. When we got bummed 4-1 by Germany them pair of them were embarrassing.

The entire England team were embarrassing in that tournament. We might as well have got rid of them all if that Germany game was the sole criteria. 

Same now then surely !!!

Its a succession of failure, and repeating the same failures.....wanting change every time.

Look at Hoddle banging on about how he would do it ffs....does he not realise he had his chance to implement these genius tactics......that had Gerrard as the ONLY central midfielder !!

Same now then surely !!!

Its a succession of failure, and repeating the same failures.....wanting change every time.

Not really. Plenty wanted Cole to be part of the squad. It's not a case of being wise after the event. You can have a combination of youth and experience you know, it doesn't have to be one or the other.

So...our inglorious failure

Is it:

The players aren't good enough?

The wrong ones were picked?

The right ones were picked but employed wrongly / wrong tactics?

The right ones were picked and employed correctly but they just didn't perform on the day(s)?

I'm not of the get rid mentality and like to see managers get time, but I just don't think he's up to it he's made too many elementary mistakes in selection,formation and substitutions he's the wrong age we need a vibrant strong and innovative manager who can get a team first and foremost to defend and get players playing above themselves and at this level the only thing that matters is winning. I genuinely think we will struggle to qualify for the euros with him in charge.

He was slated for doing this at the Euro's.  He's tried to be more possession based and attacking and gets slated for that.  Only a winning England manager can 'win', if you get my meaning!?

FWIW i'm absolutely gutted we're out but can't say i'm that surprised, sadly.  Many factors contribute, but I reckon the players just aren't tactically aware/good enough at that level.  We currently have no real leader/organiser (Gerrard's never an international captain) or someone really  world class who can dictate things.  The warm up games were a warning sign to me, lots of passes but went nowhere.

Saying that, Rooney could have bagged at least 4 goals and England could have won both games  2v1.

He can stay for me but only because; I can't really see anyone better, I quite like the cut of his gib, and crucially, we don't currently have the players to really compete.  No-one can change that.  And he does seem to have a longer term plan which he has to be given time to actualise

We'll piss the Euro qualifiers (in second place;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.