Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

We need this foden lad  to come on and Declan Rice to go to a proper club with a top coach to secure the back end up. 

If those two reach their potential we have a team and half.

All young, all at top teams and all at or just before their peak. Great times. 

I thought Alli was poor last night. Some of his touches and passes were poor, and TBH he's in the team specifically for that as he doesn't have the pace, engine, tackling or finishing that others have. England are in good shape with the World Cup winning youth teams coming through and there's decent competition in all areas, but I can't help thinking that whilst we do have a crop of good players with pace and good interplay, there are no "world class" players amongst them - nobody really exceptional. 

Also think that Henderson has been immense for England. No problem replacing Dier and Walker (please do!) but I'm not confident that Rice or any of the others coming through will be up to his level. Southgate has got them well organised and he has coached a lot of them through the ranks.They're a good watch and I reckon Southgate is doing an excellent job. We are ranked 5th in the world ATM and that's just about deserved, but pushing on from here is a big ask IMO. 

Exceptional football. Very good to watch, finally. No superstars, but collectively doing a great job. I was totally against the appointment of Southgate, but happy to retract my earlier opinions now. Actually better for me that he's not some huge household name, or Johnny Foreigner wanting a big pay day.

As for the chants - incredible that it still goes on. Seems like a lifetime away that we had it on our terraces and stands. And yes, many of us would have been bang guilty for joining in back in the 80s at Burnden, sad to say. Trigger, trigger, trigger, etc. Embarrassed to think about it now. Always seems to be the Eastern European nations that haven't managed to stamp it out these days.

Glad Barkley got into the team and scored. Rate him.

• Site Supporter
51 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fuck em off. Leave them to their horse drawn carts and heather charms.

image.jpeg.fab8ce76309bb056c6504475e7bd3c41.jpeg 'Spoons at PNE away this season...

Edited by Steejay

• Members
16 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m still not sure about Southgate..... well I am I think he’s currently at the Owen coyle stage before he was found to be a fraud. Fun while it lasts but totally soul destroying when it implodes. 

Bloody hell! We don't disagree on much mate but on this one we do. The Southgate thing is a bit like the Solskjaer thing. A bloke who fully understands that environment and is able to get the best out of it.

I can see years of (relative) success with Southgate as long as he maintains the policy of using the production line of talent coming through on the basis that 'if they're good enough, they're old enough' and not falling into the age old trap of having favourites who you persevere with when there is something better just below.

Let's hope Solskjaer doesn't do the same!

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Bloody hell! We don't disagree on much mate but on this one we do. The Southgate thing is a bit like the Solskjaer thing. A bloke who fully understands that environment and is able to get the best out of it.

I can see years of (relative) success with Southgate as long as he maintains the policy of using the production line of talent coming through on the basis that 'if they're good enough, they're old enough' and not falling into the age old trap of having favourites who you persevere with when there is something better just below.

Let's hope Solskjaer doesn't do the same!

I truly hope you are right. Years of false dawns have taught me to be cautious where England and BWFC are concerned. Hope it’s coming home. 👍

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Traf said:

Comparing Southgate to Coyle?

Jesus H Christ, stick to being wrong on brexit... 😶

In fairness southgates' club record is nowt to shout about.

I do like what he is doing with the England set up though.

Getting all different age groups singing from the same song sheet, and making a quality team, somewhat free from club rivalries of the past.

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In fairness southgates' club record is nowt to shout about.

I do like what he is doing with the England set up though.

Getting all different age groups singing from the same song sheet, and making a quality team, somewhat free from club rivalries of the past.

The development of St George's Park has had a big part to play in the overall improvement through the full range of England teams.

That filthy fuckin mongrel James McClean having a pop at Declan Rice. 

The same mon that played for Northern Ireland throughout his youth and was born there but turned his back on them for political reasons?

Piss off.

• Moderators
Just now, gonzo said:

The same mon that played for Northern Ireland throughout his youth and was born there but turned his back on them for political reasons?

Piss off.

how many games are you able to play at full international level before you change your mind?

Rice has played 3 friendlies - so guessing they don't count

• Moderators

article on new "breed" of England fans - sounds like the same old to me

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6852085/Drunk-drugged-25-theres-new-breed-hooligan-following-England.html

Drunk, drugged up on cocaine, under 25 and clad in designer gear, there's a new breed of hooligan following the England team… the Stag-Do Brigade

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Piss off.

Just heard these comments, didn't realise he himself had switched which makes his comments frankly strange.

As for the merits of his comments, perhaps there's something in it. Perhaps that's why Rice chose to play for England.

10 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6852085/Drunk-drugged-25-theres-new-breed-hooligan-following-England.html

Drunk, drugged up on cocaine, under 25 and clad in designer gear, there's a new breed of hooligan following the England team… the Stag-Do Brigade

I used to go all over watching England in the 90's and it was very much like that then.

3 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

It's absolute tosh that article, they've been saying the same things for decades.

They must be having a right laugh writing shit like this, probably still slipping lads a few quid to cause some bother so they can film it as well.