Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

3 minutes ago, anewman said:

This game is shite. Keep getting bigged up that they’re premiership clubs. 

Errr no they’re not. 

Was just about to post similar , Weds singing this is a library. 

1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

Either way, Wycombe are getting far more than they should 

I hadn't really considered the financial benefits of getting in the play offs.  It would be interesting to know how much they make out of ticket sales/Sky TV, even for losing in the semi.  Nice reward for the players of 3 of the teams - thanks for getting us to the play offs, we've made half a million extra, now we can afford to replace you with better players.

1 hour ago, anewman said:

This game is shite. Keep getting bigged up that they’re premiership clubs. 

Errr no they’re not. 

Premiership sized clubs in league one, with very much league one players (except Bannan).  Bournemouth are the opposite and even though the game's a bit shit I'd still rather watch this than a game at Bournemouth or Luton.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Well 1 up for Sunderland, but I can’t help thinking we are better than both of these

On tonight's evidence, hard to disagree.  But its only about a month ago we looked a division below Wednesday, we were well outclassed on the day, and they looked stronger and more organised.  But I agree, I wish the best of us had been playing either of them tonight in front of 45k and really showed what we could do.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s unbelievable we haven’t got promoted that bad spell mid season has really cost us and it’s so frustrating how badly our wheels fell off, we are now so much better than the 4 teams in the play offs. 

As above, I get where you're coming from, but every game in recent weeks v teams in top 10 including teams not in the play offs (Plymouth, Pompey) says we've got some improving to do.  We aren't currently strong enough physically to beat for eg Wycombe, they bullied MK Dons last night and I could see the same happening if that had been us.

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

As above, I get where you're coming from, but every game in recent weeks v teams in top 10 including teams not in the play offs (Plymouth, Pompey) says we've got some improving to do.  We aren't currently strong enough physically to beat for eg Wycombe, they bullied MK Dons last night and I could see the same happening if that had been us.

We are top of the league since January, yes in a 2 leg play off game it’s possible we might get bullied away from home but it’s equally likely we’d out football them at home. 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

We are top of the league since January, yes in a 2 leg play off game it’s possible we might get bullied away from home but it’s equally likely we’d out football them at home. 

Wycombe did us both home and away- be more worried by them than the others.

35 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wycombe did us both home and away- be more worried by them than the others.

I’d agree with that, they take shithousery to another level. With our current squad I’d fancy us to do them. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

42 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I think we slip up against the bottom half teams less than the other top teams do.  I don't have stats to back that up, but it surely explains how we are top without beating the better teams, except Sunderland and Oxford.  I'm struggling to think of any evidence of us out footballing any top 10 teams at home, except the Mackems obviously, I think we'd struggle in the play offs currently unless we played them again, as they don't seem overly physical and look bog standard football wise.

25 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think we'd struggle in the play offs currently unless we played them again, as they don't seem overly physical and look bog standard football wise.

Why would we struggle if they aren’t over physical & bog standard football wise?

Over 2 legs i’d like to think we’d be more than a match for any of these 4 sides in the play offs.

Drab game but first legs usually are, Ross Stewart 25 goals this season? Rico absolutely bossed & pocketed him in both games leaving him without a sniff. Not to get an Evatt on but we're better than both of these under the conditions we can put out our fully strong XI out with no injuries. Humiliated Sunderland 6-0 with our best XI & managed a 1-1 draw with Weds admittedly totally outplayed by them but f me missing all of Santos, Dapo & Fossey they got us at the right time. 

58 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

For those interested, Dennis Politic’s new side Cremonese got promoted to Serie A tonight making 1 appearance since he joined.

He made 3 sub appearances totalling 16 minutes and 1 booking.

He won’t feature next season and has made a poor move from a football perspective 

5 hours ago, Traf said:

He made 3 sub appearances totalling 16 minutes and 1 booking.

He won’t feature next season and has made a poor move from a football perspective 

Ah, apologies. That one appearance stat came from the ever reliable source Wikipedia. 

Edited by matty2094

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

looked a division below Wednesday, we were well outclassed on the day, and they looked stronger and more organised

10 hours ago, Deanu said:

1-1 draw with Weds admittedly totally outplayed by them

I’m not sure it was as big a difference as you’re making out. Just had a quick look at the stats,  they had more shots but some of them were way off target and powder puff from what I can remember.

Yes they were better and a that goal grabbed us a late point which was a very satisfying draw. But we had no Dapo, no Santos and plenty of players who may well start next season.

And let’s not forget the game at Hillsborough. If you are throwing in that we were outclassed at home then the same needs to be said about us at their place. How we didn’t score and win the game that day I’ll never know.

That team had Dapo and Santos in and 8 players who could well start for us next season and the upgrades on Doyle and Sarcevic. 

We shouldn’t be thinking Sheffield Wednesday are much better than us.

11 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Why would we struggle if they aren’t over physical & bog standard football wise?

Over 2 legs i’d like to think we’d be more than a match for any of these 4 sides in the play offs.

Sorry I wasn't very clear, I meant Sunderland are the one side I could see us bettering, because our better footballers generally wouldn't be as outmuscled by them as say Wycombe or Sheff Wed might do.  And MK Dons justifiably can claim to be better than us currently, so I think we could beat Sunderland over 2 legs but not the others.  What do I know, its just my take on it.

40 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m not sure it was as big a difference as you’re making out. Just had a quick look at the stats,  they had more shots but some of them were way off target and powder puff from what I can remember.

Yes they were better and a that goal grabbed us a late point which was a very satisfying draw. But we had no Dapo, no Santos and plenty of players who may well start next season.

And let’s not forget the game at Hillsborough. If you are throwing in that we were outclassed at home then the same needs to be said about us at their place. How we didn’t score and win the game that day I’ll never know.

That team had Dapo and Santos in and 8 players who could well start for us next season and the upgrades on Doyle and Sarcevic. 

We shouldn’t be thinking Sheffield Wednesday are much better than us.

Fair points.  A division difference was an exaggeration, more that they looked promotion material and we looked way below that level, on the day.  But yes we were well under strength, and also it was probably the first game when we lacked motivation as the season had ended by not beating Pompey.  I'd expect us to be better next time we play them.  That Hillsborough game was probably us at our best and worst - some great football, but toothless up front, and conceding a header.  It would be great to go there with Charles and Bod up front, and Fossey etc.  Bring it on!