Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

12 hours ago, Traf said:

Piece of piss, get it done and obliterate Wigan on the way through.

image.thumb.png.75c4a86ace4d1f9c3fd62408df8fc7be.png

Missed your way fella, should have been a road planner ( your plan for Wigan is masterful) , nearly as good as my idea to fill in the ship canal to cure the traffic problems from Manc to Liverpool. 🤣

52 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Missed your way fella, should have been a road planner ( your plan for Wigan is masterful) , nearly as good as my idea to fill in the ship canal to cure the traffic problems from Manc to Liverpool. 🤣

Japs/Chinese would have that built in a month.

Consultations alone will take 12 yrs here, in case there's a fucking newt in one of the fields.

21 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I looked into the Bolton end of this 10+ yrs ago. At the time the plans were to send a link road down under chequerbent roundabout then along the route of the access road to that new housing estate, joining on to a widened out platt lane through to a Wigan built connection to Atherleigh Way.

Much bigger job now with the houses there.

Edited by frank_spencer

21 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

I looked into the Bolton end of this 10+ yrs ago. At the time the plans were to send a link road down under chequerbent roundabout then along the route of the access road to that new housing estate, joining on to a widened out platt lane through to a Wigan built connection to Atherleigh Way.

Much bigger job now with the houses there.

It was supposed to join up with the roundabout to nowhere at Ginfield. Which would have been completely inadequate anyway as Atherleigh Way is a shambles at the best of times. 

IMG_3424.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Called in town for a couple of things and a walk around. The pavements and landscaping around the new housing and the courts on Howell Croft is looking impressive. The new Elizabeth Park across from the market is now open and is great. (Site of the first Benjamin Hick factory) When all the new buildings are finished, that part of town will be the 1st stage of the town’s redevelopment complete. 
A visit to Mrs. Walsh’s for some pasties, whist pies and potato cakes for my walk tomorrow. Lots of people in town too. Still some oddballs but it wouldn’t be Bolton without them😊

• Site Supporter

Mrs. Fogarty has been to Bolton this afternoon and tells me that where the Odeon was there is now a 'park' with grass and seats and hopefully bins. 

It now wants one of the councils hi viz strollers to pop round from Newport Street to keep an eye on it.

Called at Nkono's on the market today. BBQ chicken, rice, jerk chicken sauce, chickpeas and a sweet bread roll. £8.50. Was feckin superb.

The little food court there with other stalls selling juices, cakes, coffees and beer deserves support. I'll be doing my best to get there more frequently.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Called at Nkono's on the market today. BBQ chicken, rice, jerk chicken sauce, chickpeas and a sweet bread roll. £8.50. Was feckin superb.

The little food court there with other stalls selling juices, cakes, coffees and beer deserves support. I'll be doing my best to get there more frequently.

Went in prob 5 years ago

Vaults had a beer stall

Thought it was great

Not been since

• Site Supporter

Need to go to the bank in person this week so am going to mooch over to the market as last time I went it was fckin ace and sounds like it’s even better now.

Just hoping the bank hasn’t become a pawn shop or a bookies in the last 3 years since I last went

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

The Evening News encapsulated into a picture of The Octagon and the Town Hall. Then pick your way through the adverts to find fuck all else.

12 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

The Evening News encapsulated into a picture of The Octagon and the Town Hall. Then pick your way through the adverts to find fuck all else.

Local papers are a nightmare online but this is something people should get engaged with as culture isn't just live events and galleries - things like the Food Festival, the big light thing that was done at Christmas, Bolton Film Festival plus this is funding that is also given to practicioners and smaller organisations in the town. Plus the first strand is some taster projects in the town to see if they gain traction and then there will be the Bolton Gala next March which I'll be there for.

This is good news and certainly something that should be celebrated  for the town is doing a fair bit on the cultural front with success when towns of similar size are stuggling. 

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Local papers are a nightmare online but this is something people should get engaged with as culture isn't just live events and galleries - things like the Food Festival, the big light thing that was done at Christmas, Bolton Film Festival plus this is funding that is also given to practicioners and smaller organisations in the town. Plus the first strand is some taster projects in the town to see if they gain traction and then there will be the Bolton Gala next March which I'll be there for.

This is good news and certainly something that should be celebrated  for the town is doing a fair bit on the cultural front with success when towns of similar size are stuggling. 

That’s my point. This is big news if Bolton council want to make the effort, but the local newspaper has to do its bit.

There is a lot of development in Boltonia (including Farnworth) and to just show a picture of established buildings like the TH and Octagon is not showing anything new.

It’s just lazy from the paper.

Unless the opinion is that the only cultural outlets are going to be the Town Hall and the Octagon .

Edited by FrancisFogarty

Just now, FrancisFogarty said:

That’s my point. This is big news if Bolton council want to make the effort, but the local newspaper has to do its bit.

There is a lot of development in Boltonia (including Farnworth) and to just show a picture of established buildings like the TH and Octagon is not showing anything new.

I dunno, they (like all locals now due to massive cutbacks due to lack of ad revenue and circulation drop off in print) have topped and tailed the press release. Its pretty much word for word the same in the MEN (they are owned by Trinity Mirror, BN is one of the regional Newsquest titles which overseen by a regional ed and the subs work out of offices in Blackburn) I certainly wouldn't be dragging the Evening News into not covering it correctly territory, its what locals do everywhere.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/place-named-greater-manchesters-town-28888810

The extended coverage of on-going events will be larger when they actually have a press event, rather than send out the annoucement release as they have done here.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Want to add the Right To Roam music festival to the list of excellent cultural out put in Bolton at the minute img_1_1712144275283.thumb.jpg.580f4a6891df6db7a012776d0356fed8.jpg

• Moderators
2 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Unless the opinion is that the only cultural outlets are going to be the Town Hall and the Octagon .

the 'journalists' are anything but

41 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Want to add the Right To Roam music festival to the list of excellent cultural out put in Bolton at the minute img_1_1712144275283.thumb.jpg.580f4a6891df6db7a012776d0356fed8.jpg

It's unbelieveable!

Its hard to put this stuff on and its all joined up local businesses. That Ivan-bloke deserves loads of pludits of doing something so good for the town. The Coach Party are good.

7 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Currently in Nuneaton and by christ it makes Bolton seem like a thriving metropolis. It's like Leigh just spread out more.

Nuneaton Asda being swamped with Bolton fans searching for cans while waiting to change trains on the way back from Northampton this season will be one of those random memories I will hold fondly. 

10 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Nuneaton Asda being swamped with Bolton fans searching for cans while waiting to change trains on the way back from Northampton this season will be one of those random memories I will hold fondly. 

B&M next door was less busy and cheaper.

48 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Went into Northampton town centre before the match

If I vaped I would have been in a shoppers' paradise 

Been all over these past few of years and I've found that outside of the big cities most places centres are grim at the moment unless there's a historical area to focus on. Lincoln has the cathedral, Plymouth has the harbours etc

Definitely makes you realise how good Manchester is despite its flaws and see that to be fair both Bury and Bolton whilst not being up to former glories are definitely on the better side of places.