Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

42 Years Ago Today

miamiwhite

Not by date but by day........

Those filthy twats beat us 1-0 at Burnden and apparently their lot took over our fine town.....

Did our lot actually mob up that day and did they really have all the pubs in the town centre ?

Hoping to hear we put up a fine show in certain quarters.

The Cuckoo Boys wouldn't have let it happen........fishing rod time now guys....

Only a few hundred, mostly yoof, Bolton fans turned out on the Lever End & lasted about 80 scary minutes until the gates opened & even more munichs came in & we got chased out. That was the only time that happened as far as i know......we got the worst of it against Chelsea but still stayed in.

• Site Supporter

Only a few hundred, mostly yoof, Bolton fans turned out on the Lever End & lasted about 80 scary minutes until the gates opened & even more munichs came in & we got chased out. That was the only time that happened as far as i know......we got the worst of it against Chelsea but still stayed in.

No, I'd say that Chelsea also well and truly 'took' the Lever End. Staying in was one thing but fucking hell, most were as far away from the Cockernees as it was possible to be. No one was prepared to stick their head up and battle out.

I'd started in the Lever End and then across the pitch into the Embankment.

Everywhere was red. Walking down the manny road with my dad and brother, we went under the 2nd bridge turned left onto the car park and all I saw was lads giving it toe to toe. Got into the manny road stand and my mouth fell open at how full the embankment was. When Pearson score you could actually see how many of the scum was in our ground, about 75%

I remember the day well

I wasn't actually at the game. We were on the way back from my grandparents in Yorkshire and were crawling along St Peters Way past Burnden. Remember looking at the Embankment from the car and seeing it packed. Seem to remember loads of tartan scarves???

Was 11 sat in Burnden seats with my cousins husband who was a red remember virtually the whole ground erupting when Pearson or was it macari scored it seemed like I was the only person on the Burnden side sat down when they scored and that feeling of pain at 11 years old stays with me to this day as a LH lad surrounded by reds at school is and was hard to take thankfully a few years later I was in the scoreboard end when we defeated them and exorscised the memory's of 1975.

Edited by Mounts Kipper

Was in the Lever End when we played manure.

They had run every home end off that season and we were no exception. Remember watching the game at the corner nearest to Manny Road with most whites and them bastards having the majority of the Lever End - hated them since then and always will

United are the biggest there's ever been in English football, the Geordies brought 2 huge followings for league games in the 1980s but United brought 2 or 3 times as many in 75 and 80! IN my memory United only had the Manny Rd side of the Embankment for the 78/79 match and that was the fullest i ever saw that section of the Embankment.

What was fantastic for me was working in Manchester on the day of the Uefa Cup Final when Rangers had 100,000 + in Manchester and brought the tram network if not the whole city centre to a shuddering halt.Anything United did in Bolton town centre, Glasgow Rangers most definitely did in Manchester that day.It must have an eyeopener for the mancs that day that there is actually bigger followings than theirs out there

• Site Supporter

IN my memory United only had the Manny Rd side of the Embankment for the 78/79 match and that was the fullest i ever saw that section of the Embankment.

A gang of us went down to Burnden Park for tickets. I think they were about 50p.  While in the queue I recall feeling that there were accents I was unfamiliar with. I'd never heard the "Manchestor" dialect before. I remember being amazed that the ticket office folk couldn't detect this strange tongue. It was always going to be carnage.

Seven of us  young uns (14/15 at the time) were chased out of the Lever end and ended up walking back to the Village. Then three car loads of Radcliffe Reds stopped on Potters Brow (now Hall Lane) and chased us over the fields to Blackshaw Brook and only gave up when we crossed it. Fucking awful day, but one that remained in the memory bank for later days!