Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

12 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

We are right up there

Our R&D in renewables is up there with the best, we do a lot of work with it - and it'll be a huge money spinner no doubt, I'm not sure it'll translate into loads of manufacturing here in the UK at all though, the main aim of the companies we deal with, and certainly those talking about energy storage, is to develop something and then license it out, so they can just take royalties. We're working with several energy storage (battery, for want of a better expression) companies here in the UK, and it's pretty interesting stuff

There is a thought though that Electric Cars will be a flash in the pan, and themselves will be obsolete within 10-15 years......Hydrogen Fuel Cell's are what we're going to use moving forward, so I'm told, although @Escobarpprobably/possibly knows better then me

6 minutes ago, Spider said:

We're a long way behind when it comes to Heat Pumps.

All imported from the far east, Europe and Scandinavia.

I don't know of anyone willing to set up in the UK. An Irish manufacturer were planning to do so but have now increased their factory in Ireland instead.

Solar is still (and will always be) a limited option in the UK anyway.

Wind farms etc.. may be different, but I don't know much about them.

The problem is always going to be that it's cheaper to import from the far east than set up here - hence the reason people are getting giddy about the Trading Bloc dealing Liz Truss is working on.

Catch. 22.

an ideal opportunity for somebody to set up a factory making heatpumps then isn't it

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Our R&D in renewables is up there with the best, we do a lot of work with it - and it'll be a huge money spinner no doubt, I'm not sure it'll translate into loads of manufacturing here in the UK at all though, the main aim of the companies we deal with, and certainly those talking about energy storage, is to develop something and then license it out, so they can just take royalties. We're working with several energy storage (battery, for want of a better expression) companies here in the UK, and it's pretty interesting stuff

There is a thought though that Electric Cars will be a flash in the pan, and themselves will be obsolete within 10-15 years......Hydrogen Fuel Cell's are what we're going to use moving forward, so I'm told, although @Escobarpprobably/possibly knows better then me

Exactly

We innovate well, and have some of the best minds in the world here in the UK

The problem is the cheap labour needed to manufacture on a large scale simply isn't here.

Minimum wages put paid to that.

The only way we could really have a chance is to have tariffs on imports.

But we don't like those. We like free trade.

19 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Are these anything like the ones ? I've genuinely no idea, but saw the link

2 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Remains to be seen, in the link below Fiduciam are keen to help, and work has now started on the plant

https://www.business-live.co.uk/manufacturing/work-starts-new-tvr-sports-19710400

The worry is, I'd say that they still need £25M (which is absolutely fuck all) and they can't seem to raise it. This project has been talked about for five or six years and it's still not really any further forward. I'd suggest that the fact that the article says "If the TVR project doesn't materialise, then the Welsh Government will seek to find another occupier" probably tells us all we need to know. Fingers crossed that the facility is needed by somebody if/when it's finished, as I'll be very surprised if it's used to produce cars

18 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I flagged it earlier in this discussion today mate that Volvo and ourselves had entered into a JV focused on hyrdogen fuel cell technology for commercial vehicles. massive investment into it as it’s the way forward. 

It’s the only way that commercial vehicles are going to work in reality and cars will follow suit. 

If we can develop something market leading on this then I’m sure it will be worth a tickle on the shares front as well gents. I shall keep you abreast of it if I hear anything worthwhile.  

The worry is, I'd say that they still need £25M (which is absolutely fuck all) and they can't seem to raise it. This project has been talked about for five or six years and it's still not really any further forward. I'd suggest that the fact that the article says "If the TVR project doesn't materialise, then the Welsh Government will seek to find another occupier" probably tells us all we need to know. Fingers crossed that the facility is needed by somebody if/when it's finished, as I'll be very surprised if it's used to produce cars

Yes, the top of the article doesn't give much hope, though the Fiduciam spokesman at the end of the article is keen. Let's hope it does as they're claiming to have an order book of £40million.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Spider said:

We are already set up for different products.

I'm referring to all the shiny new factories and fully trained operatives we don't currently have.

We didn't ask Cadbury's to make Spitfires did we?

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/a-brief-history-of-peugeot/#:~:text=When did Peugeot start making,1882 along with other bicycles.

Where there's no will, there's no way.

Are these anything like the ones ? I've genuinely no idea, but saw the link

Yes, similar, I know of Riversimple, I've done some work with them.............you should do a full credit check on them, if you want a good laugh. There is more chance of a TVR rolling off a production line in Wales than one of their efforts. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them swallowed up by Siemens and then have their IP stripped, before closing them down.

31 minutes ago, Spider said:

We're a long way behind when it comes to Heat Pumps.

All imported from the far east, Europe and Scandinavia.

I don't know of anyone willing to set up in the UK. An Irish manufacturer were planning to do so but have now increased their factory in Ireland instead.

Solar is still (and will always be) a limited option in the UK anyway.

Wind farms etc.. may be different, but I don't know much about them.

The problem is always going to be that it's cheaper to import from the far east than set up here - hence the reason people are getting giddy about the Trading Bloc dealing Liz Truss is working on.

Catch. 22.

Something on the wind farms here, all I know is you're one windy fucker 😑 

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/uk-renewable-energy-firm-secures-23507964

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

We’ve started making lawnmowers.

They’re £34,000 each but they’re British if I can tempt you?

Yes, similar, I know of Riversimple, I've done some work with them.............you should do a full credit check on them, if you want a good laugh. There is more chance of a TVR rolling off a production line in Wales than one of their efforts. It wouldn't be a surprise to see them swallowed up by Siemens and then have their IP stripped, before closing them down.

Are they that bad 😄 

Like I say, genuinely have no idea about them.

@Sweepsiemens et al will be basically speculating to the tune of 150m that it might come to something big which would be worth multiples more. Suspect a lot of these smaller niche companies will find the big players pumping money into JV’s with them in the hope of striking it lucky. And then as you highlight they will whip the rug out from under them

cut throat world and this is the future so someone somwhere is going to make unreal amounts of money if they can develop something cutting edge. 

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Spider said:

We’ve started making lawnmowers.

They’re £34,000 each but they’re British if I can tempt you?

Your pricing is out.

Unless its a 5 gang or some such, which is not what I need.

Contact local councils with your product line, "spider mowers- with MOAN technology " a winner.

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Your pricing is out.

Unless its a 5 gang or some such, which is not what I need.

Contact local councils with your product line, "spider mowers- with MOAN technology " a winner.

Spider should be mown down when I see the whining tart 😃 

56 minutes ago, Spider said:

Exactly

We innovate well, and have some of the best minds in the world here in the UK

The problem is the cheap labour needed to manufacture on a large scale simply isn't here.

Minimum wages put paid to that.

The only way we could really have a chance is to have tariffs on imports.

But we don't like those. We like free trade.

It isn’t that we like free trade because we like free trade.

We like it because it works.

• Site Supporter

Spider should be mown down when I see the whining tart 😃 

Daft as it may sound, there may be an opening for more manufacturing in this country for landscaping and maintenance equipment. 

And farm machinery as the green revolution takes hold.

Also sure I remember some research with little "weed bots" being used to trundle along between rows of veg and zap weeds. Electric things removing the need for herbicides.

A sweep/spider combo, maybe an offshoot of the sex toy industry, with "Weedmaster" the farmer's friend.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Daft as it may sound, there may be an opening for more manufacturing in this country for landscaping and maintenance equipment. 

Also sure I remember some research with little "weed bots" being used to trundle along between rows of veg and zap weeds. Electric things removing the need for herbicides.

A sweep/spider combo, maybe an offshoot of the sex toy industry, with "Weedmaster" the farmer's friend.

Sounds good mate, but Spider likes to moan a lot, live in the past and not look into the future😉

He wouldn't be good mates with Michael J Fox, though I've heard they both have the shakes. 

3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Bill and Ben give a 👍 

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Already working on something quite similar to this, not based on little robots, but not too far away. It's a really clever company up near Hull who have designed and prototyped it....they've just sold the production rights to a company based in Ningbo, and they're waiting for the initial pre-production run. It's designed more for Vineyards to be honest, and it can detect changes in the soil and/or atmosphere and then reacts by accordingly, by either raising temperature if required or short electric "shocks" to prevent pests settling. It does a whole host of other bits as well that is expected to massively increase yield rates. Proper clever stuff

Edited by Sweep