Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, kent_white said:

That's every kind of leaver isn't it? Brexit and then hope we can sort some stuff out that we've not thought of yet. I'd be a lot less worried if someone had given us a credible plan.

At the beginning of all this, it was often referred to on here, as being foolish to reveal your plans publicly, prior to negotiations starting.

Plans, advice and involvement was offered by brexit supporting MPs. It was ignored and TM went her own way.

I'm quite confident that if these people were listened to, and involved, we'd be out by now.

No doubt plenty would still be moaning, but you can't win them all.

I was actually quite happy to have TM at the helm- I believed it would be good to have some remain representation, so as to have some level of compromise and try to offer something to all.

Sadly, she's failed, not entirely her own fault, but this seat of the pants bollocks is most definitely plan free.

41 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

We can't remain, democracy voted to leave

But our elected representatives can't find a consensus mostly because leaving seriously harms our economy.  Therefore we have to review what the original vote was about. Unfortunately so much bullshit was promised by brexiteers that the original vote was flawed. Hence we have to democratically let the people decide in a second referendum. Amen.

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

But our elected representatives can't find a consensus mostly because leaving seriously harms our economy.  Therefore we have to review what the original vote was about. Unfortunately so much bullshit was promised by brexiteers that the original vote was flawed. Hence we have to democratically let the people decide in a second referendum. Amen.

If MPs can't find concensus, then the default they agreed and put into law must come into play.

Then test it to see what effect it has on the economy.

That's the democratically created situation.

The rest of your assertions are just that, opinions. Or perhaps bullshit?

22 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Leaving seriously harms our economy

And your evidence is?

4 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Leaving seriously harms our economy

And your evidence is?

The government's own study and nearly every other evaluation estimates our GDP will be significantly reduced. Even JRM admits this. The only argument is about the levels and timeframe. 

4 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

The government's own study and nearly every other evaluation estimates our GDP will be significantly reduced. Even JRM admits this. The only argument is about the levels and timeframe. 

In other words the government haven’t a clue, its a guess and every guess they’ve made has subsequently turned out to be complete bollocks. Let’s get on with leaving and we’ll soon find out that it was more project fear bollocks. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

9 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

So, it’s either serious or not and either short term or long term?

16 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

In other words the government haven’t a clue, its a guess and every guess they’ve made has subsequently turned out to be complete bollocks. Let’s get on with leaving and we’ll soon find out that it was more project fear bollocks. 

Aye. It's going to be easy leaving, new improved trade deals, holding all the cards, blah de blah de blah.

1 minute ago, Farrelli said:

All detrimental though and why risk it when our economy has done very well being part of the EU.

Well, as I’ve said many times, it isn’t just about the economy.

And, there was a majority to leave

Just now, Farrelli said:

Slight majority based on lies.

Do you think you will win the second referendum?

Which side lied the most, do you think?

Just now, Farrelli said:

Slight majority based on lies.

Do you think you will win the second referendum?

If there was a second referendum, and it was the same question, we might get the same answer

15 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

All detrimental though and why risk it when our economy has done very well being part of the EU.

Let’s trash democracy for an EU that we don’t know where it’s heading (other than more federalism) that we don’t know of it will prosper in future, is a shrinking market in world trade terms, is overtly protectionist, and who set laws and treaty’s that we can’t veto if we don’t like them. Wonderful. 👍

8 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

JRM suggests we won't see any benefits for at least 50 years. He'll be okay though👍

As I say repeatedly, it isn’t about the economy

i don’t subscribe to the 50 year guess

4 hours ago, Salford Trotter said:

Pretty much, i am constantly reminded by what Patrick Minford the pro-leave economist said about the state of UK manufacturing post brexit and shudder at the prospect this will have on UK jobs. He said, “Over time, if we left the EU, it seems likely that we would mostly eliminate manufacturing, leaving mainly industries such as design, marketing and hi-tech. But this shouldn’t scare us.”

Well Mr Minford, it will scare those 2.7m employed in our manufacturing industries because they will be left without a pot to piss in 

Now now Pete, stop it, or else the George Osborne clips will have to be shown again.

Do you honestly think our design,marketing and hi tech industries will be mostly eliminated ?

I’ve heard it all now :D

Rees Mogg actually said

Rees-Mogg: “We will know at some point, of course we will. But it’s a question of timescale.”

Guru-Murthy: “So how long have you got?”

Rees-Mogg: “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time, we really won’t.”

Guru-Murthy: “Of course not, but I mean we’ll have an indication. We’ll know if there’s been chaos, we’ll know if there have been job losses.”

Rees-Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

1 minute ago, boltondiver said:

As I say repeatedly, it isn’t about the economy

i don’t subscribe to the 50 year guess

For you maybe but for many it was very much about the economy and they told by the Leave campaign that we could have the best of both worlds so why wouldn't vote for that. Sadly since the referendum those promises have slipped by the wayside and now we are left with huge risk that cleverer people than you and me say it is not a risk worth taking. 

8 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Which side lied the most, do you think?

Silly question. George Osborne versus nearly every brexiteer you could mention. More importantly people like Nick Clegg were quite accurately telling us how difficult leaving and negotiations would be.

Just now, Farrelli said:

Silly question. George Osborne versus nearly every brexiteer you could mention. More importantly people like Nick Clegg were quite accurately telling us how difficult leaving and negotiations would be.

So both sides lied and a majority to leave

6 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Rees Mogg actually said

Rees-Mogg: “We will know at some point, of course we will. But it’s a question of timescale.”

Guru-Murthy: “So how long have you got?”

Rees-Mogg: “We won’t know the full economic consequences for a very long time, we really won’t.”

Guru-Murthy: “Of course not, but I mean we’ll have an indication. We’ll know if there’s been chaos, we’ll know if there have been job losses.”

Rees-Mogg: “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

Cracking. That's like saying BWFC have a great opportunity to get back in the prem before 2069.

2 minutes ago, Salford Trotter said:

For you maybe but for many it was very much about the economy and they told by the Leave campaign that we could have the best of both worlds so why wouldn't vote for that. Sadly since the referendum those promises have slipped by the wayside and now we are left with huge risk that cleverer people than you and me say it is not a risk worth taking. 

Did you read what Rees Mogg actually said, rather than what remain mythology deems him to have said?