Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

90's Italian Football

tomski

Really looking forward to this.

Tomski if you're into podcasts, try "Quickly Kevin..." (Josh Widdicombe co-presents it and I know he's an acquired taste especially seen as he seems to have something against Northerners) but its about 90's football and the guests are more often than not excellent - last week was James Richardson talking about Gazzetta, how it started and his life in Italy, well worth an hour or two of your time

Was brilliant, Football Italia, especially for kids like me who didn't have Sky it was some of the only access to foreign football you could get. Everything about it caught Serie A in the glory years; the players, the stadiums, the kits, the quality of the teams. Top stuff.

Going Milan and Rome later this year in the hope of catching AC and Roma (I'll take Inter and Lazio, but prefer the other two)

Really looking forward to this.

Tomski if you're into podcasts, try "Quickly Kevin..." (Josh Widdicombe co-presents it and I know he's an acquired taste especially seen as he seems to have something against Northerners) but its about 90's football and the guests are more often than not excellent - last week was James Richardson talking about Gazzetta, how it started and his life in Italy, well worth an hour or two of your time

Was brilliant, Football Italia, especially for kids like me who didn't have Sky it was some of the only access to foreign football you could get. Everything about it caught Serie A in the glory years; the players, the stadiums, the kits, the quality of the teams. Top stuff.

Going Milan and Rome later this year in the hope of catching AC and Roma (I'll take Inter and Lazio, but prefer the other two)

I've never listened to a podcast in my life but this seems to be as good as place as any. Nice one.

Always been Inter for me from the villa UEFA cup games. Loved the kit and the 3 Germans were top notch.

My dad worked in Italy for a couple of years and AC were/are his team of choice making it easier to choose Inter as the less fashionable of the 2.

Oddly when they were top dogs I went off it abit

• Moderators

Seem to Remember JR saying he was only meant to go out to cover Gazza's debut but as it was so popular he got told to stay there, live there and learn the language and everything he could about Italian football

Which ain't a bad job to land

Seem to Remember JR saying he was only meant to go out to cover Gazza's debut but as it was so popular he got told to stay there, live there and learn the language and everything he could about Italian football

Which ain't a bad job to land

Yes if I remember rightly gazza was meant to be the presenter.

I was obsessed with Italian football and so much so my dad took me to Rome for my 18th to watch Roma v Lazio. Was advised to wear neutral colours and to arrive early.

We got there about 3hr in advance and I swear there was about 70,000 in the stadium. The noise was deafening and it only got louder nearer kick off.

Speaking of kick off, as the game began the away lot (Lazio) sent a banner down their terrace that said 'Roma merde' which they then set on fire on the running track. Was incredible.

Game was brilliant too. Roma went two up through Delvecchio and Batistuta only for Lazio to draw level in added time through Nedved and Castroman. Some amazing memories of a brilliant trip

Edited by Kane57

• Moderators

went to Lazio v Reggina in Jan 2003

Lazio had lost the 1st game of the season but then gone the next 16 unbeaten so fancied a good game and a home win

they lost 1-0, it was a shit game and the goal was Jaap Stam's fault

there was a mad rush going on outside for tickets so thought it must be a near sell out, turned out there was about 40k on so only half full, felt empty bar the home end behind the goals where it looked like there was some sort of carnival going on

the other memory was being able to buy pizza at half time and espressos that you bought cold but they heated themselves up

• Members

Been a huge fan for many years. Been the staple of my punting success over the last few years too (Juventus x Napoli doubles have been shit hot this season).

I used to travel to watch the Juventus team in the 70's, whenever they came to England. Phenomenal team with Zoff, Gentile, Causio, Bettega, Benetti, Tardelli etc.

A very good friend of mine (now passed - RIP Livio) was a massive Inter fan and a serious chef at the restaurant in La Scala. Came to London for an England-Italy game and met myself and a couple of mates. Cooked us the best Italian meal any of us have ever had (and I've had thousands due the the missus' heritage) and we promptly repaid him by mercilessly taking the piss when England beat them 2-0. He used to lambast me about my Napoli and Salernitana preferences but I told him I could never forgive his club for failing to win the 1967 European Cup Final against you know who, much as I was a great admirer of Sandro Mazzola and Giacinto Facchetti. 

Been to a few games at the Fuorigrotta and Stadi Arechi and once to the San Siro to watch Milan play Reggina on a work related hospitality function. Seems I am a major Italophile what with marrying one, Vespa's and Lambretta's, Italian employer and, of course, the inimitable Italian style in the clothing stakes. Without doubt, the coolest of the cool.

Edited by bolty58

I was obsessed with Italian football and so much so my dad took me to Rome for my 18th to watch Roma v Lazio. Was advised to wear neutral colours and to arrive early.

We got there about 3hr in advance and I swear there was about 70,000 in the stadium. The noise was deafening and it only got louder nearer kick off.

Speaking of kick off, as the game began the away lot (Lazio) sent a banner down their terrace that said 'Roma merde' which they then set on fire on the running track. Was incredible.

Game was brilliant too. Roma went two up through Delvecchio and Batistuta only for Lazio to draw level in added time through Nedved and Castroman. Some amazing memories of a brilliant trip

That sounds fookin amazing

Been a huge fan for many years. Been the staple of my punting success over the last few years too (Juventus x Napoli doubles have been shit hot this season).

I used to travel to watch the Juventus team in the 70's, whenever they came to England. Phenomenal team with Zoff, Gentile, Causio, Bettega, Benetti, Tardelli etc.

A very good friend of mine (now passed - RIP Livio) was a massive Inter fan and a serious chef at the restaurant in La Scala. Came to London for an England-Italy game and met myself and a couple of mates. Cooked us the best Italian meal any of us have ever had (and I've had thousands due the the missus' heritage) and we promptly repaid him by mercilessly taking the piss when England beat them 2-0. He used to lambast me about my Napoli and Salernitana preferences but I told him I could never forgive his club for failing to win the 1967 European Cup Final against you know who, much as I was a great admirer of Sandro Mazzola and Giacinto Facchetti.

Been to a few games at the Fuorigrotta and Stadi Arechi and once to the San Siro to watch Milan play Reggina on a work related hospitality function. Seems I am a major Italophile what with marrying one, Vespa's and Lambretta's, Italian employer and, of course, the inimitable Italian style in the clothing stakes. Without doubt, the coolest of the cool.

Superb. As is kanes experience. Watching Inter is on my list to do. As well as hopefully Many others.

• Members

Superb. As is kanes experience. Watching Inter is on my list to do. As well as hopefully Many others.

TBH, I would much rather have gone to watch Inter rather than Milan. It's the red you see. Much prefer blue.

The Milan (ultra) fans staged a protest and all fucked off home at half time leaving an eerie atmosphere for the second half. They only just got up too with a late winner from, of all people, Paolo Maldini. I think it was his only Serie A goal for the season. Had a nice, restaurant Margherita pizza before the game washed down with a few Menabrea's then got soaked to the skin walking across to the stadium and had to sit and watch a mediocre game in a shit atmosphere in a right soggy state.

Thing which struck me about Milan the city was how much it had deteriorated since i visited the wife's relatives who live there in the mid and late 70's. This was in the mid Noughties and it had become the graffiti capital of Europe. Every fucking thing was daubed with paint and looked a right scruffy dump. I suppose a sopping wet grey day didn't help its appearance.

Now when I have been at the Fuorigrotta or Arechi, it's been sunshine all the way.

I went to Juventus-Arsenal in a Champions League quarter final. Got a bottle smashed in my face and was arrested. Not been back funnily enough.

Fucking hell, bad news that. That's the last thing you want going to a game, seen it happen in the past and you never expect that happening to yourself.