Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fittest Athletes

Alf Hartigan

• Site Supporter

Appropriately with the UK Ironman coming up this weekend, if it gets the go ahead with the dodgy algae, which sport requires the fittest athletes?

Appreciate there's different requirements for each, but who's the fittest.

These tennis fuckers are making a case in my book

Meant to put in tuther forum soz

Edited by Alf Hartigan

• Site Supporter

Was thinking just this earlier. Anderson and Isner was gargantuan.

These daft buggers running marathons day after day across Africa etc are pretty fit too.

Can the help being amazed that tennis players don't get more blisters given the constant change of direction on fairly unforgiving surfaces.

• Site Supporter

Was thinking just this earlier. Anderson and Isner was gargantuan.

These daft buggers running marathons day after day across Africa etc are pretty fit too.

Can the help being amazed that tennis players don't get more blisters given the constant change of direction on fairly unforgiving surfaces.

Fair play TMGJ, was waiting for the first reply of tennis is for gayers, it really is brutal,

Squash is the same.

• Site Supporter

There are different kinds of fitness.

When I fought in my younger days I could spend 2-3 hours comfortably sparring but couldn't swim 50m without feeling like my arms and legs were about to fall off.

Mo Farah could piss 25 miles but couldnt do 20 minutes on a heavy bag.

• Site Supporter

When I fought in my younger days I could spend 2-3 hours comfortably sparring but couldn't swim 50m without feeling like my arms and legs were about to fall off.

Yes, that was what I was alluding to.

Any kind of fighting will leave you in bits within minutes.

• Site Supporter

Aye; in my youth I could run pretty well, but had no upper body strength.

Now; whilst I'm not exactly lifting weights or owt, I love swinging and axe through wood, and don't do too bad. Not sure I could run so far though. :)

• Moderators

Appropriately with the UK Ironman coming up this weekend, if it gets the go ahead with the dodgy algae, which sport requires the fittest athletes?

Appreciate there's different requirements for each, but who's the fittest.

These tennis fuckers are making a case in my book

Meant to put in tuther forum soz

5 neck and neck sets of top class tennis trumps ironman I reckon when you consider the intensity both physically and mentally

A 3 set whitewash not so much

Try running 10 yard sprints back and forth, then get twatted by a 17st Tongan.

I wasn't fit enough to be a top class footballer, yet I could do that

I could play tennis for hours, but couldn't run a mile

I think a lot of it comes down to mentality, and how you focus on your tasks- always maintain running without a ball is boring... Hated cross country, yet would literally play football for hours and chase every ball

• Site Supporter

Try running 10 yard sprints back and forth, then get twatted by a 17st Tongan.

I wasn't fit enough to be a top class footballer, yet I could do that

I could play tennis for hours, but couldn't run a mile

I think a lot of it comes down to mentality, and how you focus on your tasks- always maintain running without a ball is boring... Hated cross country, yet would literally play football for hours and chase every ball

no right or wrong answers here chugger  

Would never do running in any shape or form .Football coaches who say 'lets go for a run ' (even with a rucksack of bricks) want shooting.

Only the game matters whether is knackered oap's like me or kids, telling them to run three miles aint going to help unless running is their thing which in my opinion is a minority sport pushed by superfit parents.

Play football morning noon & night !

My mate does "how far can you run in 24 hours".

He did about 130m last time. Fuck that.

I did one of those events 2 weeks ago over in Leeds albeit in a team of 5. Between us we covered 150 miles, the solo winner did 130.

IMO ultra Marathons and Triathlons are about mental toughness, you don't go into the flat out zone but tick over at 70-80%, constantly refuelling. But it is that mental toughness that beats so many people.

Sports requiring repeated bursts of activity are extremely tough but I think the Tour de France cyclists are at the peak.

Finally one of our own is in the Iron Man tomorrow, good luck Little Henri.

My mate does "how far can you run in 24 hours".

He did about 130m last time. Fuck that.

Is your mate Forrest Gump?!

The Iron Man stuff is mental and surely has to be up there in such discussions. Rugby league players for 80 minutes of running up and down in between having dozens of car crash-like impacts. Tennis as much for the mental side of it as the physical aspect.

Is your mate Forrest Gump?!

The Iron Man stuff is mental and surely has to be up there in such discussions. Rugby league players for 80 minutes of running up and down in between having dozens of car crash-like impacts. Tennis as much for the mental side of it as the physical aspect.

Pretty much. He came 5th in one in Basel a few weeks ago, 30 degrees heat during the day had to stop to projectile vomit 9 times but made up ground in the night whilst others caught up on some sleep.

Fuck. That.

He's representing Britain in the spartahlon this year.

Golfers?

Guess it comes down to muscle and body type - as said above Mo Farah wouldn't be winning world's strongest man any time soon but could steal a whole flock of sheep without getting caught.

I found Thai boxing training hardest I've ever done, especially rounds of high intensity, powerful hitting/kicking but probably as I was more suited to long distance stuff over short bursts i.e. sprinter vs long distance.  Others would find that comparitively easy but be fcuked after a few mins sparring.

Those decathlon types must be pretty fit as they're using a wider range of muscles and fitness or iron man etc