Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fittest Athletes

Alf Hartigan

Tennis is right up there for both mental and physical fitness.

Some years ago the Beeb did some testing on who were the physically fittest of athletes.

Biathlon required the greatest degree of physical fitness apparently, followed by squash

Little Henry loyd is undertaking some hideous Ironman challenge tomorrow.

Heavy duty all that.

Personally id go with tennis and boxing as it combines aerobic and anaerobic fitness. To retain power and strength along with cardio vascular fitness is some going. It takes every aspect of diet and training.

• Site Supporter

Depends on your physique. Runners who go on for miles are probably shit at boxing and cyclists no good at rowing.

Contact sports wil reduce the duration of the event and cant compare to marathon runners.

Speaking of which my mate took up golf which he proclaimed was a non-contact sport. He's right because now he's a golf bore I refuse to have any contact with him whatsoever.

5 rounds of rolling around on the floor.

Nah.

Once you get into it and can read what's going on in the rolling around its really interesting. I can see why folk who aren't into the sport don't like the 'ground game' over the spectacular stuff that goes on when it's a stand up kinda fight.

Once you get into it and can read what's going on in the rolling around its really interesting. I can see why folk who aren't into the sport don't like the 'ground game' over the spectacular stuff that goes on when it's a stand up kinda fight.

Aye I was only pulling Ryan’s 7 inch plonker.

My mate is black belt in jujitsu and some Brazilian street fight caper. Once you go to ground you’ve fucked it.

Amazing athletes and all hard as fuckin nails.

I just don’t like watching it. It’s too much for me.

• Members

Saw some research done on this some while ago and the result was Motocross bike riders believe it or not!

Suppose there's some logic. Usually tough little wiry fuckers who take a lot of physical stick.

Fitness is judged by recovery rate - correct?