Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

Just now, Escobarp said:

Not the only one ......

I think the difference this time, is that it seems to be being policed a little better. Walking the dog last night, I saw the police pull over to the local park and disperse 2 kids that were sat on a bench, and I've not seen that before.

A few days of the police stopping people, and dishing out some "on the spot" fine and then people would soon start to take notice.

I'd personally like it to be a bit harsher, maybe give each household pre-dated shopping vouchers, no monetary value, but they basically are a ticket into the supermarkets - so you can only go twice a week, that would stop these dicks who for some reason, and our neighbour does it, go to the supermarket every single day.

For a curfew, unless you're working or travelling to or from work, then stay in your house between 8pm and 6am - you can of course get dispensation for 30 minutes exercise after you get home from work, if that slips outside those times -but be prepared to provide it if stopped. If caught outside for no valid reason, on the spot £100 fine  -  obviously it needs a bit of work, but that would be my framework for it

Exercise, only once per day, for 30 minutes  -  and I say that as somebody who usually walks my dog three times a day, sadly he'll just have to run around the back garden for a few weeks.

All sport, at all levels stopped

Click & Collect, at places like Next......fuck that off as well

In fact, I'm almost getting around the @Spideroriginal Operation Hibernate 🙂

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

I think the difference this time, is that it seems to be being policed a little better. Walking the dog last night, I saw the police pull over to the local park and disperse 2 kids that were sat on a bench, and I've not seen that before.

A few days of the police stopping people, and dishing out some "on the spot" fine and then people would soon start to take notice.

I'd personally like it to be a bit harsher, maybe give each household pre-dated shopping vouchers, no monetary value, but they basically are a ticket into the supermarkets - so you can only go twice a week, that would stop these dicks who for some reason, and our neighbour does it, go to the supermarket every single day.

For a curfew, unless you're working or travelling to or from work, then stay in your house between 8pm and 6am - you can of course get dispensation for 30 minutes exercise after you get home from work, if that slips outside those times -but be prepared to provide it if stopped. If caught outside for no valid reason, on the spot £100 fine  -  obviously it needs a bit of work, but that would be my framework for it

Exercise, only once per day, for 30 minutes  -  and I say that as somebody who usually walks my dog three times a day, sadly he'll just have to run around the back garden for a few weeks.

All sport, at all levels stopped

Click & Collect, at places like Next......fuck that off as well

In fact, I'm almost getting around the @Spideroriginal Operation Hibernate 🙂

I went to m and s last week or maybe week before and I was amazed the whole store was open. Folk wandering about shopping for clothes. Because they have a food element they can get away with it. 

agree re next etc it just makes a Mockery of it. 

im hoping we can keep it as is up here and I haven’t heard chatter about curfews etc but never say never. 

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Except I’m not doing what I want.
 I’m doing what I thinks best for me & my family. 

ignoring the Government advice, as you've admitted to, surely falls into the bracket of "doing whatever you want" doesn't it?

I know that you're not one of the mouthbreathing masses who are massively taking the piss and blatantly ignoring the advice and cracking on regardless, but you are at the thinner edge of that same wedge. I don't massively blame you to be honest, and I know plenty who have the same attitude as you do, but it's not helping the overall situation  in my opinion

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I went to m and s last week or maybe week before and I was amazed the whole store was open. Folk wandering about shopping for clothes. Because they have a food element they can get away with it. 

agree re next etc it just makes a Mockery of it. 

im hoping we can keep it as is up here and I haven’t heard chatter about curfews etc but never say never. 

In the first lockdown, only the food part was open.

I went and did the weekly shop at M&S yesterday, and the same, people looking at clothes and soft furnishings - no way should that be happening. Also, and this got on my tits, I saw a family in there, mum and dad with two kids - that shouldn't be happening, only one adult needs to be in there, and the rest should either stay in the car or at home. It's a food shop, not a day out.

Amusingly, a few people were buying up loads of Percy Pigs, the girl on the till said they were selling loads, something to do with Brexit apparently 🙂(I don't know why they're affected, but it did make me smile)

8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

ignoring the Government advice, as you've admitted to, surely falls into the bracket of "doing whatever you want" doesn't it?

I know that you're not one of the mouthbreathing masses who are massively taking the piss and blatantly ignoring the advice and cracking on regardless, but you are at the thinner edge of that same wedge. I don't massively blame you to be honest, and I know plenty who have the same attitude as you do, but it's not helping the overall situation  in my opinion

I ignore some government advice, most advice I adhere to.  I’d bet 95% of folk if honest would have transgressed from government advice, obviously excepting the law abiding, Covid press gang on WWs.

Any how what advice did you ignore that allowed you to catch it? 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

39 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I ignore some government advice, most advice I adhere to.  I’d bet 95% of folk if honest would have transgressed from government advice, obviously excepting the law abiding, Covid press gang on WWs.

Any how what advice did you ignore that allowed you to catch it? 

I'm not sure what advice I ignored to be honest, as I caught it right at the start of the first lockdown, about 10 days after we officially entered the lockdown period, I'll never be able to prove it, but I'd say I caught it at the supermarket, and probably because I wasn't washing/sanitising my hands enough, and also because I was a dick who thought that I'd be OK and it only really affects other people, so didn't bother with a mask (even though it wasn't a thing then, my colleagues in China told me I should be wearing one). I took on going to the shops so that my wife could stay safe indoors, as she has asthma, I soon learnt the hard way don't worry about that

You're right though, a vast swathe of people don't follow the government advice - I didn't last week, when a delivery driver left a big box outside the door of the woman who lives across the road - she couldn't lift it as it weighed about 15kg (apparently some Le Creuset pans...), so I went across and took it in to her house for her. I shouldn't have done that according to the advice, as it was "household mixing" as soon as I set foot in her house - so I'm equally as guilty as you for breaking the rules, but the difference is I know I broke the rules and probably shouldn't have done it, I'm just not pretending that I know far better than everybody else and the Government.

Edited by Sweep

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't worry sweep- the household mixing bit is a stupid rule anyhow.😁

On the plus side, the woman in question who must be in her 80's is going to Stevenage today for her jab, as they've opened up one of these Super Centres there. She's apparently in at 13:15, she's getting the bus there and back, as she doesn't drive....so in reality, I reckon she's got more chance of catching it going to or coming back from the inoculation than she has had in the past few months whilst she's been shielding

5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

On the plus side, the woman in question who must be in her 80's is going to Stevenage today for her jab, as they've opened up one of these Super Centres there. She's apparently in at 13:15, she's getting the bus there and back, as she doesn't drive....so in reality, I reckon she's got more chance of catching it going to or coming back from the inoculation than she has had in the past few months whilst she's been shielding

give her a lift

9 minutes ago, L/H White said:

give her a lift

I would/should - but it's breaking the rules, plus I'm actually on my monthly sales meeting then. If she was stuck, then I'd pay for a taxi for her, but it won't come to that........plus I'm not sure that she's short of a few quid.

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Taxi might be a bit safer than a bus, dunno.

Who knows if it is or not it might be worse in a taxi than on a bus, plus I guess she may not want to pay about £40/£50 for a return taxi when she can get the bus for nothing - it's a shame her scarcely seen daughter isn't able to take her and wait for her and then bring her back (as I assume she's her support bubble)

I think that it does highlight that there might be an issue in getting some of the oldies to the vaccine - to be fair, this lady, is fairly sprightly, so she'll have no problem walking the half mile or so the the vaccination centre when she gets off the bus, but I can imagine some old people might, especially if it was pissing it down and blowing a bit.

1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Amusingly, a few people were buying up loads of Percy Pigs, the girl on the till said they were selling loads, something to do with Brexit apparently 🙂(I don't know why they're affected, but it did make me smile)

It's probably M&S' best selling confectionery line. It's vegan but tastes "normal" and is reasonably priced for something that is (a) sold by M&S, (b) vegan and (c) both.

The issue is that it's manufactured in Europe and there's loads of it stuck in docks now and M&S warehouses are running really low.