Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Once wondered if it was possible to partake in every pub in England, and if so, how long it would take. 

A life's challenge there.

@leigh white has done about 85% I reckon 

I love a mooch round random towns when I’m away on business. Can’t beat it especially through the week when it’s a bit quiet. Missus thinks I’m a bit odd doing it but I enjoy it immensely 

Theres 60,000 pubs in England. That's 23 different pubs a week for 50 years. You'd have to have half a pint or becks blue in some otherwise your liver would pack in  before you finished it. There'd be plenty where you'd definitely want a few pints. 

11 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Once wondered if it was possible to partake in every pub in England, and if so, how long it would take. 

A life's challenge there.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I love a mooch round random towns when I’m away on business. Can’t beat it especially through the week when it’s a bit quiet. Missus thinks I’m a bit odd doing it but I enjoy it immensely 

I thought about him when I posted that! :)

You're right about random places for a beer, particularly when it's quiet. Can be a real eye opener.

We once did a coastal walk from Embleton to Bulmer up in the north east.

Around 8 or 9 miles.

Needed a drink (before walking back) and found this rough looking place.

Went in, and there was one (maybe 2) local in and the barman. They reckoned we were barmy walking that far, but we're utterly charming, friendly and welcoming. A great hour or 2 full of humour, and never forgotten.

Makes the world go round.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

Theres 60,000 pubs in England. That's 23 different pubs a week for 50 years. You'd have to have half a pint or becks blue in some otherwise your liver would pack in  before you finished it. There'd be plenty where you'd definitely want a few pints. 

There will have been a lot more 20+ years ago when I thought about it.

Never really on, but I wouldn't be surprised if some daft bugger has tried.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

There will have been a lot more 20+ years ago when I thought about it.

Never really on, but I wouldn't be surprised if some daft bugger has tried.

Theres some horrible pubs I've been in my time. Worst ones I can remember were in liverpool, skelmersdsle, east kilbride, wigan, milton Keynes, stoke. 

Favourites in lake district and london

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I used to work on spinningfields.  Don’t recall it. Used to drink in the grapes and the rising sun of a Friday lunch 

I used to drink in the grapes in 2005-2007, all the coronation street photos, I worked on quay street for a couple of years. Abercromby is on a back street behind albert schloss, about 2 mins walk from the grapes. It's old fashioned, not busy, shows footy. Good to escape.

Just now, peelyfeet said:

I used to drink in the grapes in 2005-2007, all the coronation street photos, I worked on quay street for a couple of years. Abercromby is on a back street behind albert schloss, about 2 mins walk from the grapes. It's old fashioned, not busy, shows footy. Good to escape.

You used to drink in the grapes same time as me pal. I worked On spinningfields 2005-2007 spookily. 

Just now, peelyfeet said:

Abercromby is on Bootle Street next to the old police station. Shithole full of scutters but “nice” scutters. Whiled away many an hour there and they have a decent range of ales. Beer garden has an aroma that will attract @Rudy

Mrs Manc had a visit to the police station when it was operational. A story for another time though

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

You used to drink in the grapes same time as me pal. I worked On spinningfields 2005-2007 spookily. 

I worked for direct line, opposite the opera house, got the train in to Salford central and walked up every morning for a couple if years, it was 2004 when I started actually, they were building big parts of spinningfields

2 minutes ago, peelyfeet said:

I worked for direct line, opposite the opera house, got the train in to Salford central and walked up every morning for a couple if years, it was 2004 when I started actually, they were building big parts of spinningfields

I used to get the train to salford central from Bolton most days I was in the office. Very small world pal

Back to topic 

BoE saying that during the financial crisis in 08/09 the most the economy dropped in a month was 1%. 20.4% last month. 

thats 3 x the entire amount of the crash. Unbelievable and I expect May to be less (no point making predictions as would be a compete guess) it’s hopefully an indicator for some of how deep a hole we are actually in. Grim reading  that 

we will bounce back. Just going to take a long time

Edited by Escobarp

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Escobarp said:

Yep, great pub crawls around Ilkley, Lichfield, Bridgnorth, Ulverston...list is endless.

Life’s about discovering new places, meeting new people and getting pissed. 

9 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Yep, great pub crawls around Ilkley, Lichfield, Bridgnorth, Ulverston...list is endless.

Life’s about discovering new places, meeting new people and getting pissed. 

It is pal it is. It’s very much what you make of it. And we need glimmers of hope in dark times   We will be reet👍🏼

40 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Abercromby is on Bootle Street next to the old police station. Shithole full of scutters but “nice” scutters. Whiled away many an hour there and they have a decent range of ales. Beer garden has an aroma that will attract @Rudy

Mrs Manc had a visit to the police station when it was operational. A story for another time though

Always thought it was the Abercrombie. Probably due to the coats worn by us Crombie boys of the seventies.
Anyway, Mrs. Brno worked at plod HQ on Bootle St. and I used to pick her up after her shift. I always got there a little bit early and had a pint while I waited. Some strange people in there but unsurprisingly, I felt quite at home.😊

• Members
53 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I’ll bring my own herbs 

• Site Supporter

I went in the Grapes once about 5/6 years ago on the Friday before Xmas.

Fuck me, I’m sure it was a reunion of ex MIB’s/Strangeways old boys.

Never seen so many dodgy guys together. Genuinely intimidating, and I don’t usually worry about these things.

Well, well, well I think that Sir Ralph Abercromby definitely deserves a visit

Firstly, I did know this, but had forgotten that a certain SKY football pundit wanted this place demolished but was beaten back by his own 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Ralph_Abercromby_(pub)

And then, hello sailor,  Ralph himself has previous for skirmishing with the cheese eating surrender monkeys and the local darkies 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Abercromby

Somehow seems perfect for WWayers 😎

10 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Well, well, well I think that Sir Ralph Abercromby definitely deserves a visit

Firstly, I did know this, but had forgotten that a certain SKY football pundit wanted this place demolished but was beaten back by his own 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Ralph_Abercromby_(pub)

And then, hello sailor,  Ralph himself has previous for skirmishing with the cheese eating surrender monkeys and the local darkies 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Abercromby

Somehow seems perfect for WWayers 😎

Same birthday as me! New there was something about the place.

2 hours ago, Escobarp said:

I worked on Spinningfields 06-17 so many great pubs a few minutes walk from the office. Cask, Gas Lamp, Kings, Salford Arms, Knott, Corbieres, Nags Head etc.

Yet works do would be Slug and Lettuce, Liars Club, Revs. Every time.

1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

Always thought it was the Abercrombie. Probably due to the coats worn by us Crombie boys of the seventies.
Anyway, Mrs. Brno worked at plod HQ on Bootle St. and I used to pick her up after her shift. I always got there a little bit early and had a pint while I waited. Some strange people in there but unsurprisingly, I felt quite at home.😊

Wonder if Mrs Brno had a word with Mrs Manc on a certain night?? 😀